What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
....Knowing they're in some call center in India or Pakistan. "Did you know that over here, we flush our toilets with water clean enough to drink, while you guys wash your laundry in the same river you pee in? Doesn't it suck to live where you are? Boy oh boy, you must be miserable. Stinkin' hot all the time, no showers in your slum - you must smell awful." I just keep it up until they hang up. ....

And then we wonder why so many foreigners hate the United States. What is the matter with "No thank you, have a good day" and hanging up? Not only that, your blood pressure would be lower.

Edited to add... ah... I see now that you are Canadian according to your profile... now they'll just hate North Americans but with luck they will know that they are calling a Canadian number.

Last edited:
What is the matter with "No thank you, have a good day" and hanging up?

Because they're scammers, of course.

I'm talking about the people who are outright lying, and trying to commit actual fraud against you/me.

"Sir, I'm calling from Windows Support, your computer is reporting a virus, we need you to follow these steps immediately." (Doing so will install ransomware on your computer and lock you out of your files until you pay up)

"Sir, I'm calling from the CRA/IRS, you owe some money and if you don't pay up today, a warrant will be issued for your arrest." (They demand immediate payment in the form of a wire transfer or VISA gift card - isn't that how the IRS collects?)

These are not mere salespeople in a boiler room somewhere trying to make a living. They are worthless, scumbag criminals, trying to rip me off, and they deserve to be treated like the garbage they are, since they cannot be held accountable for the criminal offense they are actually committing.

Last edited:
[*]Phone scammers. I've given up any semblance of being polite to them. I'm as rude as can be without being profane, threatening, or sexual (i.e., anything that could open me up to criminal charges). Knowing they're in some call center in India or Pakistan. "Did you know that over here, we flush our toilets with water clean enough to drink, while you guys wash your laundry in the same river you pee in? Doesn't it suck to live where you are? Boy oh boy, you must be miserable. Stinkin' hot all the time, no showers in your slum - you must smell awful." I just keep it up until they hang up.

IMHO that is highly inappropriate and insulting behaviour. You should be ashamed of yourself.

If they are adjusted correctly and used correctly, then I suppose they wouldn't be a problem (or even noticed). It sounds like that isn't always the case.

My fog lights are factory installed on a Subaru. Most Subaru's have had fog lights for many years. I'm sure they would be discontinued if they when dangerous. They are very helpful to me in bad weather so i'll continue using them. I never do turn them on when there's a car approaching. The sudden light could cause a problem but if they are already on then it shouldn't be.

Better stay away from hospitals then.

Oh I do my very best to avoid hospitals. And doctor's offices too. Though at times it is unavoidable.

You know, there are way too many sick people in those places. But of course you do, you are a doctor.:cool:

Edit add: Seven years ago when DW had a lobe of her lung removed due to cancer, I did religiusly use the disinfectant, often, while I spent many many hours there.

Last edited:
It's the holiday season, folks. Let's keep it friendly and express our peeves without being offensive, eh?

Nope definitely the fog lights, goofy little round things on the lower bumper, in addition to any head light or DRL.
Before the law changed in Canada, I used to turn on the fog lamps. They do not bother most drivers (sorry Backpacker) and they improve visibility avoiding accidents. Now with low wattage headlights mandatory, the fog lights are no longer needed.

(I drive a Canuck car in Mexico and people often tell me about my headlights being on.)

24 out of 25 emails are junk. 23 of them start with "Hurry!..." The other junk email starts with the word "Shocking!..."

Ugh!

Also all the exclamation points!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

And then we wonder why so many foreigners hate the United States. What is the matter with "No thank you, have a good day" and hanging up? Not only that, your blood pressure would be lower.

Edited to add... ah... I see now that you are Canadian according to your profile... now they'll just hate North Americans but with luck they will know that they are calling a Canadian number.

Was going to say, What makes you think ONLY Americans give people reasons to hate them?

Turn signals are designed to signal your intention to turn not the fact that you are in fact turning. I can probably figure it out once you start turning your wheel.

This pet peeve is so minor I hesitate to even post it. Some hardworking, great waiters and waitresses who are terrific human beings do it here in New Orleans. But it does puzzle and slightly annoy me, so here it is:

Instead of seating us first and then taking orders, waiters and waitresses try to guess what you want to eat based on what you ate last time. Then if you say "no", before you can draw a breath to tell them what you want they guess something else.

It would be faster if they would just seat us, give us a menu and a moment to look over it, and take our order then. This would be so much better than playing a guessing game as we take our first step into the restaurant, before we have even found a table and have been seated.

I wonder if they are taking bets back in the kitchen. :LOL:

I think I am the only one who enjoys when the telemarketers give me a call. I usually cut them off and tell them that I have a great deal for them! I will push sales on them for things that I see on Craigslist, the old junker car in that I saw on the side of the road, timeshares, etc. Every time I get a call I just keep trying to sell them things, sometimes they are things I do not ever have. If they are not interested, tell them to hear you out and how with a little work that item is a goldmine! Get creative with it and have fun, you don't know what opportunity you are passing up!

I had one once give me his personal number to call him back so he could hear my sales pitch about a timeshare ( I have no affiliation with any timeshare and have never owned one). I just kept making up stuff and asking if he was ready to sign up now! I called him at odd hours randomly for a while. I lost his number when I changed phones.

After typing this, I realized ow much free time I actually have.....

You have to be creative and take advantage of good entertainment when it knocks!

Now, the one that really irritates me is when I activate a debit card or get my new credit card and I have to talk to some guy who I can barely understand and he is trying to sell me the protection package for however many percent of my balance and I try to tell them I am not interested and they tell me I have to hear them out and they have to finish before I can answer! That, that is my version of hell. The worst part is if you hang up, the card isn't activated and you have to call back and go through it again! UGH

Also, the automated systems that you have to go through if you need help or customer support. you can never get a human and I didnt call for an automation to ask me if a I am an idiot and to make sure that my appliance is "Plugged in". Low and behold though, if you need to make a payment to them, BAM... human on the line!

Instead of seating us first and then taking orders, waiters and waitresses try to guess what you want to eat based on what you ate last time. Then if you say "no", before you can draw a breath to tell them what you want they guess something else.

That's very strange. I was a waitress for years and have eaten in hundreds of restaurants and have never heard of that happening. It would be annoying! I'm sorry you have to deal with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

...I didnt call for an automation to ask me if a I am an idiot and to make sure that my appliance is "Plugged in". Low and behold though, if you need to make a payment to them, BAM... human on the line!

Long ago and far away I was a heating & refrigeration repair guy. Most here would not believe how many service calls I ran where the refrigerator or window A/C was either not plugged in or fuse blown/circuit breaker flipped.

To those folks here's a clue: If the light inside the refrigerator does not come on when you open the door, check that it's getting power before calling the repair service!

Long ago and far away I was a heating & refrigeration repair guy. Most here would not believe how many service calls I ran where the refrigerator or window A/C was either not plugged in or fuse blown/circuit breaker flipped.

To those folks here's a clue: If the light inside the refrigerator does not come on when you open the door, check that it's getting power before calling the repair service!

Wow, I now feel more intelligent than the average person. If these people are smart enough to make it to where they own appliances and are not homeless then I should have no problems in my life! hahaha

It's that "algorithm" thing that started with internet searches and now many businesses use to compile seemingly innocuous data on you to get inside your mind and soul. As well as selling the data.

I am not sure it's the waiters and waitresses making this up. It's usually something management came up with and ordered them to do. A small upside on the server's part is it can help endear them to the customer. "How thoughtful of them to remember"

As was noted, it's legally required to activate the turn signal well in advance of the turn (distance, not time). So if they pulled up to the light with no signal, then turned it on just before they executed the turn, they broke the law (by not activating it at least 100 feet in advance of the intended turn).

And notwithstanding your noted physical stature, I still don't see how any turn signal can "blast you in your eyes." It's one of the dimmer lights on a car. They're just following the law.

My pet peeve is sitting behind a car while SITTING at stoplight with the light flashing. One can comply with all the aspects of the law and still shut the switch off while at a light. It was how I was taught in school.

My eyes are fine, annual checkup due in Feb.

Those cars with those annoying yellow signal lights must have it in for me.:D

.....One can comply with all the aspects of the law and still shut the switch off while at a light. It was how I was taught in school...

Never heard of this. What state did you get your drivers license?

My "pet peeve" isn't necessarily financial, but when I buy a CHRISTMAS present at a store who wants my hard earned $$S at this time of year, and when they wish me a "Happy Holiday" when it's beyond obvious I am buying a CHRISTMAS present..

Well, that just frosts my shorts - in a big way. To the point I stop shopping at that store.

Not too smart to tweak off the 90+% of people who still celebrate CHRISTMAS. But, if they want to be stupid enough to do that, there are plenty of other stores to spend money with.

My new pet peeve is ordering something with free overnight shipping and voila, four days later it is delivered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom