What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DH will be turning 65 in a few months.

So we're getting loads of mail from medical providers touting their Medicare programs.

Some of them try to make the mailings appear oh-so-official and Important.

I'll be glad when DH turns 65, although I suspect this junk mail will go on for-ever. Or for another 8 years, at which point they'll start pestering ME. :rolleyes:

DH will be turning 65 in a few months.

So we're getting loads of mail from medical providers touting their Medicare programs.

Some of them try to make the mailings appear oh-so-official and Important.

I'll be glad when DH turns 65, although I suspect this junk mail will go on for-ever. Or for another 8 years, at which point they'll start pestering ME. :rolleyes:

I'm 67 and although that type of junk mail hasn't stopped, it has diminished quite a bit. There is hope! :D I get a lot of junk mail for hearing aids, cemetery plots, and cremation services. So cheery (not!).

I'm 67 and although that type of junk mail hasn't stopped, it has diminished quite a bit. There is hope! :D I get a lot of junk mail for hearing aids, cemetery plots, and cremation services. So cheery (not!).

Oh yeah, we're getting those too. :LOL:

All that junk mail keeps the postal workers, lumberjacks and graphic designers busy and employed. It also keeps the recyclers in business. Besides, if you live long enough and all your friends and acquaintances pass away, at least you'll that someone cares enough to write to you. :)

We get new junk mail from our Medigap providers for bonus hospitalization, cancer, etc., insurance--we will get paid directly $100 a day if we need care for any of these! We can spend on anything we want! Who could resist? We can.

Yup, it never stops and increases around October during open season when one can change plans.

And just two weeks ago I got a coupon for $200 off on a funeral. Oh joy.

Yup, it never stops and increases around October during open season when one can change plans.

And just two weeks ago I got a coupon for $200 off on a funeral. Oh joy.

Might be useful. While filing my taxes today, Turbo Tax asked me if I had died in 2015...

Not until I get my refund!

Might be useful. While filing my taxes today, Turbo Tax asked me if I had died in 2015...

Not until I get my refund!

You are required to give a two-week minimum notice for that...!

We called Amazon for a trace on a missing package the the USPS was supposed to deliver. Amazon rep said call the post office! We tried but they don't answer the phone! :facepalm:

I got a response right away when I went to the USPS contact page (or from the tracking page, I don't recall right now) to investigate a problem.

A package we sent priority mail from the kiosk at the PO did not arrive (Christmas time this past year). I tracked it on-line with the # on the receipt, and it said not deliverable to that address, will be returned to sender if info available. How could that be, obviously the address is correct? So I get a response that they will check, I see on update on tracking, but no movement. So a while later, I write again, and then it does break loose and starts the trek back to us. We get the package back, and I was quite embarrassed - I did give DW the old address, and I guess too old to forward? So I can't really blame them too much, other than it didn't get returned w/o follow up.

For the pet-peeve context: It really bugged me that I have this receipt with all this info, and this was done at the kiosk where DW entered the address on the touch screen. And of course I had to question her if there was any chance of a typo, and she said it became a multiple choice type thing from their database as you got closer to the address, so really less chance of a typo (screen-o? touch-o?). But my pet-peeve is, since this address was entered, and printed on the sticker, why don't they also print it on the receipt? If they did that, the problem would have become clear to us, and maybe we could have said sorry, can you deliver to this (nearby address) instead of returning it to us?

-ERD50

Last edited:
Recurring pet peeve: local traffic **always** busy. Never seems to be a window during the day for low traffic. Starts around 7 AM, keeps busy until 9 PM. Unbelievable. Oh, for the good old days of about 15 years ago.... And I'm supposedly in a suburb, not a city...

ATT is my pet peeve and their excuse for Customer Service. We currently have DSL though them, our cells, and Direct TV. Back around the 10th DSL went out, by the time I reported and they graciously came out to fix it, my data maxed. I asked about a credit for my cell data, sure sir just call them. No one here can help you, but you can call the cell phone people, they'll help. Well after 4 calls to marketing numbers I finally get to help only it's a stupid machine that keeps trying to get me to upgrade my data plan! Finally get to a human a mere 15 minutes of listening to a call center and intermittent conversations. Of course no suggestions on my still occurring intermittent DSL problems. Sir you'll have to call them, we can't help. I mean really your the phone company, could you please transfer me and bypass the next VRU.

ATT guess what I'm a customer, not 3 customers. I'd like it if you could see me that way too.

Last edited:
It's a minor thing, but I hate when somebody is asked "how old are you?" and they answer with "I'll be xx years old at the end of the year." So does that mean you are "xx-1" right now? Or did you already have your birthday? Why are you making me do (admittedly simple) math instead of just answering the question? It's such a weird way to answer a simple question.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

It's a minor thing, but I hate when somebody is asked "how old are you?" and they answer with "I'll be xx years old at the end of the year." So does that mean you are "xx-1" right now? Or did you already have your birthday? Why are you making me do (admittedly simple) math instead of just answering the question? It's such a weird way to answer a simple question.

I think next time someone asks me how old I am I'll tell them I was born six years before Marilyn Monroe's death...just to irritate them.

OK, transferred DW's IRA into her TSP account. Mutual Fund was liquidated in the IRA account at Fidelity on 12/29/15, money showed up in the TSP on 1/15/16. This morning I saw that Fidelity has credited 21 cents in interest to her IRA account for January. I hat e it when we get these tiny balances in an account when we are trying to close them. I guess we'll just make a 21 cent withdrawal when she turns 59 and 1/2.

OK, transferred DW's IRA into her TSP account. Mutual Fund was liquidated in the IRA account at Fidelity on 12/29/15, money showed up in the TSP on 1/15/16. This morning I saw that Fidelity has credited 21 cents in interest to her IRA account for January. I hat e it when we get these tiny balances in an account when we are trying to close them. I guess we'll just make a 21 cent withdrawal when she turns 59 and 1/2.
Note that the IRS allows one to round to the nearest dollar in filling out forms so a 1099-r with .29 will show up as zero, and then the 10% penalty is 10% of zero.

I just checked the Irs web site and just like for 1099-int forms if you get less than $10 there is no requirement to issue a 1099-r.

Or worst case, pay the 2 cents.

Hey, it's the principle of the thing!

I just checked the Irs web site and just like for 1099-int forms if you get less than $10 there is no requirement to issue a 1099-r.

But as I understand it, you are still required to report it (but who does?).

Actually, I did report a < $10 INT/DIV amount, because it might be > $10 next year, and by entering it this year, my tax SW will retain all the contact info for that institution/account. Having the reminder, and not needing to re-enter that info was worth 15% of $4.50 for me at tax time. Yep, I'm getting pretty loose with my stash these days, I might lose my LBYM badge :LOL:

But heck, I used 'lose' and 'loose' correctly in the same sentence! Not bad for a grammar challenged guy. But is that the correct 'principle'? Is my stand on an issue my 'pal'? I'll give myself 50-50 odds before consulting Google.

-ERD50

The word awesome.

Poking through craiglist there are a lot of awesome things for sale. The few I looked at was closer to junk status.

Dang! That's my favorite word! But I try only to employ it for things that are actually awesome, and not just for junk on Craigslist. :)

I think I will answer future questions about my age this way.

"I will be 70 when I claim SS". :cool:

The word awesome.

Poking through craiglist there are a lot of awesome things for sale. The few I looked at was closer to junk status.

While know there is a 99 cent store post at the dollar store there is a cleaning produce called Awesome! which actually does work awesome. Just be careful.... it'll take off paint if you leave it sit for too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom