What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Downloaded the MapMyRide app. Full of ads and other intrusive crap, some of which would likely disappear if I "upgrade", i.e. "pay"...

Plus, like many apps, if I give it access to my passwords for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc., it will post across multiple platforms. Sorry, don't/won't do that...

So, sticking with my el-cheapo Bell bike computer. Also have a gps app that does the same thing, without all the hassles, but if I should crash, I'd prefer to damage my $25 bike computer, and not my $800 iPhone...

Last edited:
While know there is a 99 cent store post at the dollar store there is a cleaning produce called Awesome! which actually does work awesome. Just be careful.... it'll take off paint if you leave it sit for too long.

Thanks I did not know about that. OTOH classic coke will do as well.:D

The intrnet of things.

Seems more and more stuff has sensors, microphones and other "features that talk to the internet. More ways to get "listened to"

Google chorome processes voice commands on line, not in the pc. Can you hear me now?

I was reading the Jan/Feb 2016 issue of Money and they have a letter from someone referring to a previous Money article that said that a retired couple would need $245k saved to cover health care costs in retirement and this guy suggests that it is really more like $350k assuming a 30% federal and state income tax rate. While the math is right it is hugely misleading.

How many retirees pay 30%? Very few and those who do have enough income tht they probably don't need to worry about health care costs. Even an affluent retired couple with $50k of SS, $10k of qualified dividends and $40k of 401k/IRA withdrawals would only pay 6.8% in tax on $100k of income... or 17.1% on the $40k of 401k/IRA withdrawals.

I'm disappointed that Money doesn't use better judgement in deciding what letters to publish.

Voice to text translators that result in sentences like *Aye went too the store two bye a pear of shoos*. Usually there is a word or two completely missing also.

The sound of someone biting into, then chewing and slurping, an apple.

And no, I don't have misophonia; most people-noises don't bother me. Apple-chomping is simply an obnoxious sound.

Pet peeve of the day is T+3 for brokerage ETF transactions... when is the industry going to get into the 21st century? With today's technology ETFs should settle right away the same as funds... especially since my money is sitting in my account ready to go.

Very unforgiving of me I know, but I loathe certain eating styles, as in loud chewing, self-satisfied smacking sounds, and then the ever-present *lean back, open wide and pick the teeth orgasmically with a toothpick*, all done in a self-absorbed sphere of bliss, and as if there is nothing rude about it. Don't hate me, it's just a peeve. Embrace diversity. :) Edit to add: someone biting into an apple loudly doesn't bother me, for some reason.

Last edited:
Pet peeve of the day is T+3 for brokerage ETF transactions... when is the industry going to get into the 21st century? With today's technology ETFs should settle right away the same as funds... especially since my money is sitting in my account ready to go.

Every institution loves the float. Just another way of making money.:LOL:

pb4... I think that you know how this works...

Just like stocks, there are failed trades... brokers keep their own book of holders and only 'settle' when there is a trade that is not internal... it is these trades that can have a problem...

Now, for most retail customers that just by a few thousand dollars, the broker probably could settle as I doubt there are going to fail a trade with small dollars.... however, I have no idea what they do... this is just a big guess on my part...

My pet peeve today is the way the media are covering the election at present. Neither of the two early contests is "winner take all" so saying "so and so won" is to me like saying a football team won because they lead by a field goal after each team has had one possession of the ball. It is still early in the season folks, several sides have delegates and the difference between them at this point is miniscule. I think on the GOP side the difference between "winning" Iowa and coming in 3rd is one delegate.

My pet peeve today is the way the media are covering the election at present. Neither of the two early contests is "winner take all" so saying "so and so won" is to me like saying a football team won because they lead by a field goal after each team has had one possession of the ball. It is still early in the season folks, several sides have delegates and the difference between them at this point is miniscule. I think on the GOP side the difference between "winning" Iowa and coming in 3rd is one delegate.

The media always tries to portray this like Monday morning sports talking heads. They are always more interested in the "horse race" talk than the actual importance of the process. And probably not at any higher of intelligent analysis than the sports "analysts experts".
They love to over hype and play master of the obvious. If Trump wins New Hampshire they will be proclaiming "he is installed as the front runner again" when anyone with a brain knows nothing really has changed even before Iowa and it has a long way to go before anything is truly determined.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This thread is for pet peeves, so let's try to keep partisan politics and the primaries out of it if possible so that we can continue as we have. Thanks.

Just got a friendly call from Pete at Microsoft.
When I responded by "this is german police, fraud dept. Your call is recorded" he was not interested any more to help me fix a virus.

Just got a friendly call from Pete at Microsoft.
When I responded by "this is german police, fraud dept. Your call is recorded" he was not interested any more to help me fix a virus.

Did he sound like he was from India? Ed called me a few weeks ago. He was definitely not Ed.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Did he sound like he was from India? Ed called me a few weeks ago. He was definitely not Ed.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I've recently seen a guy here in the US whose name is Rafael, and he's been calling himself `Ted' trying to convince Americans he is from here too! So maybe `Ed' was legit?

I've recently seen a guy here in the US whose name is Rafael, and he's been calling himself `Ted' trying to convince Americans he is from here too! So maybe `Ed' was legit?

He's from Calgary, actually!

Ok, so I call Discover and ask if they are willing to waive the $60 annual fee on our 2% rewards card that has served us well but there are better alternatives out there today. They say no, which is fine... I find out that I can't set it up today to cancel the day before the annual fee is assessed but need to call back the day before... fine... a minor inconvenience.

So now I decide that we'll go with the Citi Double Cash card since it pays 2% and has no annual fee but I can't do the application online because they will then send the card to our house rather than where we are wintering in Florida. So I call their center and find out that if I apply over the phone I can have a mailing address different from my physical address. Great. I get part way through the application process (give then my name, address, SS, etc) and she then tells me that they are having system difficulties and that I'll need to call back and start from scratch. :mad:

Since she has a foreign accent I ask where she is located and she tells me she is in the Philippines. I ask if she can transfer me to a US-based al-application center or if there is a different number that I can call and get connected to a US-based application center. Nope. I give up.... I guess that I'll wait until I get home and do the online application and use a different card in the interim. Ugh! :mad:

Still American. :)

I often mention that America starts at the northernmost part of Canada and goes all the way south to Tierra del Fuego. Ususally get blank looks.:D

BTW that is a pet peeve of mine.

I often mention that America starts at the northernmost part of Canada and goes all the way south to Tierra del Fuego. Ususally get blank looks.:D

BTW that is a pet peeve of mine.
Yea, but I think they were talking about REAL Americans.

People who refer to cheeses by their color instead of type.

Example conversation:
"What kind of cheese do you have for the cheese burgers?"
"Orange and white. Oh, and shredded."
"Is the orange cheese American cheese?"
"I don't know. Yes."
"I don't want American cheese. What kind of cheese is the shredded cheese?"
"It's orange."
"Does that mean it's cheddar?"
"Yes"

I can't tell you how many times I've had essentially this same conversation. Except for blue, you should not be using a color to list off what kinds of cheese you have. Mozzarella, chèvre, and Swiss are all white but they are very different cheeses!

We went to a chain restaurant called Chile's last night. The restaurant charged $2.00 to play a trivia game on a laptop type device on the table while waiting for our food. The food was OK, nothing special. Won't be going back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom