What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pet Peeve?
People that say they retired early (30's) yet are still working, typically pushing their how-to plans on how to retire early....

Having to choose between being 'Divorced' or "Single' when I fill out forms for stuff that in no way will be impacted by how I achieved my current status.

The only word in there that I would need translated is golabki. Since Savoy is a variety of cabbage, it does make sense to me. However, why make people feel uncomfortable? If they are going to use foreign words on the menu, they should put an English translation underneath.

No way. We Americans are too hung up on English! Throw a few words out there, not every food has "McD" in its name!

What do you call a person who speaks two languages? Bilingual.
What do you call a person who speaks more than two languages? Multilingual.
What do you call someone who speaks only one language? An American!

Seriously I was traveling with a guy who was so amazed I ordered lunch from a menu totally in Dutch. I ordered soup du jour and a banana split. How creative.

I'd guess that's my peeve.

No way. We Americans are too hung up on English! Throw a few words out there, not every food has "McD" in its name!

Seriously I was traveling with a guy who was so amazed I ordered lunch from a menu totally in Dutch. I ordered soup du jour and a banana split. How creative.

How did you come to be bilingual or multilingual?

Pretentious restaurant menus: DH and I ordered this last weekend at a contemporary American restaurant: "savoy golabki, quinoa, mozzarella, rutabaga, golden raisins, heirloom tomato sauces." after the waiter had painstakingly translated the entire menu. ...

The only word in there that I would need translated is golabki. Since Savoy is a variety of cabbage, it does make sense to me. However, why make people feel uncomfortable? If they are going to use foreign words on the menu, they should put an English translation underneath.

But Chicago has a large Polish population and heritage, so I'm actually a little surprised that "savoy golabki" wouldn't be recognized as "Cabbage Roll" to a long time Chicago-area person. Though I think I'm more familiar with the pronunciation closer to "golumpki".

What's not to understand about " mozzarella, rutabaga, golden raisins, heirloom tomato sauces"? Maybe quinoa is unfamiliar to some, I thought it was relatively common these days. DW has served it, I don't really care for it, I find it a bit bitter - not something I want in a grain, but I think that bitterness can work with the right sauce.

I'm guessing it was the "all the other menu items" that were a bit out there that led to the frustration, but those examples don't strike me as much of an issue. But I get the point, it's a bit tedious to have to try to figure out what some of these descriptions really mean. I recall I did have to ask about "Lardon" at a fancy French restaurant. It's bacon! :facepalm:

It reminds me of ordering at restaurants in Budapest. They generally had English, French and German translations on the menu. But some of the English was weird, and I wasn't sure, but I got enough context clues from looking at the German and French to figure it out (which I don't know, but realized I picked up a bit from osmosis).

-ERD50

How did you come to be bilingual or multilingual?

I'm not(other than with computers), that's actually a joke I'm familiar with. Told to me by a multilingual co-worker in Europe in slightly broken English.

The Dutch menu said:
Soup du jour, banana split. My co-worker was too hung up on there being no translation to even look at the menu. He'd been in Amsterdam with me for a while and all the menus had translation. We were outside the city and this place didn't have an English menu. It wouldn't have been an issue as the folks there spoke English as well.

Had I been smart in school I would have taken another two years of Spanish in high school. I didn't see the use as no one in the area spoke anything but English and no one ever left that town.;) Instead I took Latin, while thats sometimes useful, after relocation, there's many Spanish speakers.

I'm not(other than with computers), that's actually a joke I'm familiar with. Told to me by a multilingual co-worker in Europe in slightly broken English.

The Dutch menu said:
Soup du jour, banana split. My co-worker was too hung up on there being no translation to even look at the menu. He'd been in Amsterdam with me for a while and all the menus had translation. We were outside the city and this place didn't have an English menu. It wouldn't have been an issue as the folks there spoke English as well.

Had I been smart in school I would have taken another two years of Spanish in high school. I didn't see the use as no one in the area spoke anything but English and no one ever left that town.;) Instead I took Latin, while thats sometimes useful, after relocation, there's many Spanish speakers.

DH and I are pretty good in Spanish (learned in school) in spite of being American and have no trouble traveling in Spanish-speaking countries, but we cannot speak it to our two bilingual mini-granddaughters (sooo impressed with DIL for achieving this) as they can't understand us :LOL:.

But Chicago has a large Polish population and heritage, so I'm actually a little surprised that "savoy golabki" wouldn't be recognized as "Cabbage Roll" to a long time Chicago-area person. Though I think I'm more familiar with the pronunciation closer to "golumpki". ...

I'm guessing it was the "all the other menu items" that were a bit out there that led to the frustration, but those examples don't strike me as much of an issue. But I get the point, it's a bit tedious to have to try to figure out what some of these descriptions really mean. I recall I did have to ask about "Lardon" at a fancy French restaurant. It's bacon! :facepalm:

It reminds me of ordering at restaurants in Budapest. ...

-ERD50

The Savoy golabki was something we ordered so I put it here. Yes, I knew what it was, but the waiter felt the need to translate all the ingredients anyway (as she did with most items)--it was not an ethnic restaurant. To me, pretentious, not frustrating. Just call it a cabbage roll on the menu if you don't think the diners will know what it is. It was just my pet peeve of that day. I'm on to new pet peeves today :LOL:

We loved Budapest and may go back. Two trips across the Atlantic on our calendar this year but not there unfortunately. Amazing place.

The Amsterdam story is a good example of how easy it can be to figure things out in another language. Actually, the Friesian dialect of Dutch is the closest language to English AFAIK. There's a familiar saying: "Good butter and good cheese is good English and good Fries."

A big part of the problem if one is a native English speaking American is that English is now the language others use to communicate with each others including us. When a Turk and a Swede conduct business together they probably do it in English. So, the need to learn another language for Americans is just not that great. When I try to speak Italian to an Italian what I get is "Please, speak English, I don't understand you when you speak Italian." :eek:

Add to that that the USA is vast geographically so there is less need for foreign travel. Want to see the Arctic? Visit Alaska. Want a tropical island? Visit Hawaii? Want a desert? Try Arizona. Want high mountains? The Rocky Mountain states fill the bill. Want to see a Bayou? Try Louisiana. Want hot, humid weather? Well... I will be tactful here. My friends in Italy have to visit multiple other countries to get similar experiences - Morocco, Norway, Tahiti, Russia, etc., etc. etc.

Finally, American schools usually introduce foreign language instruction in Middle School at the earliest and often not until High School. However the brain is best equipped to learn a new language from birth to about 14. When I was teaching in middle school I complained about this frequently as did other teachers, but the administrators were fixated on test scores and nobody was tested on foreign languages, so they, like many other subjects, got the short end of the stick. The law of unintended consequences strikes again! :nonono:

I guess this all sounds like another peeve. :)

irregardless. It's not a word.

Merriam-Webster does not agree with you. No disrespect, but I think I'll go with them.

Is irregardless a word?

Irregardless was popularized in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its increasingly widespread spoken use called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless

Yep. Several years ago I bought an expensive gift for a relative from a local specialty shop. It was advertised as coming with a $50 gift card. A few months later I took the card in to make a purchase and was informed that it had expired. The expiration date was shown in very tiny mice-type on the back of the card. It turned out I had two whole weeks :crazy: to use the card before it expired. When I protested that a 'gift' card should not have an expiration date or it wasn't much of a gift, I was basically told 'to bad fellow'. :eek:

I never went back. :trash:

Some states do not allow gift cards and cash cards to have expiration dates or require them to have minimum terms that are usually pretty generous... if your state has such statutes then you may be able to use it anyway (but likely with some fuss by the merchant).

Some states do not allow gift cards and cash cards to have expiration dates or require them to have minimum terms that are usually pretty generous... if your state has such statutes then you may be able to use it anyway (but likely with some fuss by the merchant).

Thanks. If it happens again, I will check out my state law. However, in this case the 'gift' card is under many feet of debris at the dump. :(

A big part of the problem if one is a native English speaking American is that English is now the language others use to communicate with each others including us. When a Turk and a Swede conduct business together they probably do it in English. So, the need to learn another language for Americans is just not that great. When I try to speak Italian to an Italian what I get is "Please, speak English, I don't understand you when you speak Italian." :eek: ...

Yes, we got that from our German counterparts. None of us spoke German fluently enough to even try, but I do recall a conversation, they said it would be silly for us to learn German for them - they speak English and English is the language of business. And their English was very good.

Which also reminds me of my first business trip to Germany. A group of us were kind of awkwardly standing in a hallway the first morning while we waited for them to get some IDs together or something for our tour. We were all a little jet lagged, and a local employee walks by, mumbles something like "mergin" as he passes and he is gone. It took us a second, I think we would have recognized a clear "Guten Morgen" as "Good Morning", but a casual 'mergin' just didn't register in our somewhat foggy brains. We figured he thought we were a bunch of rude people that couldn't be bothered to return a friendly "Morgan!"! Oops!

Add to that that the USA is vast geographically so there is less need for foreign travel. Want to see the Arctic? Visit Alaska. Want a tropical island? Visit Hawaii? Want a desert? Try Arizona. Want high mountains? The Rocky Mountain states fill the bill. Want to see a Bayou? Try Louisiana. Want hot, humid weather? Well... I will be tactful here. My friends in Italy have to visit multiple other countries to get similar experiences - Morocco, Norway, Tahiti, Russia, etc., etc. etc.
... I guess this all sounds like another peeve. :)

Well that triggers a pet peeve of mine. You sometimes see these "statistics" that Americans (the USA variety) have a far lower % of passports than Europeans. Well sure. Maybe that would be different if we needed a passport to move from one State to another (against the Constitution). Or if we didn't have to cross an ocean or travel a thousand miles or more to get to another country. But the insinuation is that Americans are just a bunch of turnip farmers who never got off the ranch. :nonono:

And anyhow, who wants to go to Canada, it's just like the USA, just colder. :LOL: But hopefully, they have a good sense of humor! :flowers: I guess I'll find out? :hide:

-ERD50

The Dutch menu said:

That's funny!

I enjoy the challenge of dealing with non-English when traveling, and after a while you get a lot figured out. Even with languages I don't have some rudimentary speaking ability - we somehow manage. Of course if it's not written in the Roman alphabet, forget it.

Not all waiters are fully versed on the menu, we went to lunch and asked the server what the soup of the day was. The response? "Soup du jour"! I asked how it was made and he had to go to the kitchen. I thought I was going to die laughing when he returned and said the soup of the day was broccoli cheese. I almost asked what the fish of the day was, but I couldn't bring myself to do it!

Not so much a peeve, but something that makes me scratch my head.

I get a PM from a poster here that seems to expect a reply, but they have their account set to never receive a PM from anyone.
So when my attempted reply produces an error message, I just abandon the attempt. This has happened twice just in the last couple of months.

Well that triggers a pet peeve of mine. You sometimes see these "statistics" that Americans (the USA variety) have a far lower % of passports than Europeans. Well sure. Maybe that would be different if we needed a passport to move from one State to another (against the Constitution). Or if we didn't have to cross an ocean or travel a thousand miles or more to get to another country. But the insinuation is that Americans are just a bunch of turnip farmers who never got off the ranch. :nonono:

-ERD50

I agree that this characterization is unfair, although it feels like the people most likely to apply it are other, condescending, Americans.

But really, we are the victims here. It isn't that we don't learn foreign languages. It's that we don't get a chance to maintain them.

American students have to choose a foreign language from among a range of options: Spanish, French, German, etc. Suppose you pick one but fortune never sends you a chance to practice it? I studied French in high school, and Greek in college. At one time I had a good facility in each of them. But over the next forty years I encountered few French-speakers, and fewer Greek-speakers, so my command of both languages dissipated for lack of use. I can no more speak Greek today than solve calculus problems using Laplace transforms (which I used do without breaking a sweat!).

Foreigners have it much easier. When they study another language, it is pretty much invariably English. And even if they never meet an American (or a Brit/Canadian/Australian/Kiwi/etc.), they will be exposed to American and British movies and TV and radio worldwide. It's a cinch that their English will be better than my Finnish/Chinese/Russian, etc.

The only foreign language programming my cable offers is Spanish. (Maybe at some premium levels they have other options, but I'm not budgeted for those levels.)

A Japanese engineer told me about a project he worked on in Brazil. The Brazilians spoke zero Japanese, and he spoke zero Portuguese. The entire project, lasting two years, was conducted in English, because that was the common tongue for everyone.

There! I feel better now.

62% of all personal bankruptcies are due to Medical Expenses even though 78% of those people had some form of health insurance. Someone could cross the border tomorrow, go to a hospital, incur hundreds of thousands of dollars in hospital bills, and never pay a dime.

62% of all personal bankruptcies are due to Medical Expenses even though 78% of those people had some form of health insurance. Someone could cross the border tomorrow, go to a hospital, incur hundreds of thousands of dollars in hospital bills, and never pay a dime.

May I suggest a little research before posting numbers like that (keeping with the thread, I guess I'll say this is a pet peeve of mine!)?

see

643,000 Bankruptcies in the U.S. Every Year Due to Medical Bills : snopes.com

and

Medical bankruptcy: Fact or fiction? | TheHill

A study published in the journal Health Affairs reviewed Justice Department data and discovered that among Americans who cited medical debt as a contributing factor in their bankruptcy filing, only 12 to 13 percent of their total debts were medical.

It's difficult to conclude that bankrupt folks are awash in healthcare debt when nearly 90 percent of their obligations are unrelated to health care.

The study also reviewed Warren's early research on medical bankruptcies and found that medical spending was a factor in no more than 17 percent of U.S. bankruptcies.

Consider Canada. Our neighbor to the north features a government-run, single-payer healthcare system where private insurance is outlawed for procedures covered under the law. So you'd think that Canada would have a lower rate of bankruptcy than the United States, what with one big potential cause of bankruptcy -- the cost of health care -- absorbed by the government.

But according to researchers at the Fraser Institute, a nonpartisan Canadian think tank, bankruptcy rates are statistically the same on both sides of the 49th parallel. In both the United States and Canada, less than one-third of 1 percent of families file for bankruptcy each year.

Further, even with a socialized healthcare system, some Canadians go bankrupt because of medical expenses. Approximately 15 percent of bankrupt Canadian seniors -- those 55 and older -- cited medical reasons, including uninsured expenses, as the main culprit for their insolvency.

Of course, we'd all like the number to be zero.

-ERD50

But the insinuation is that Americans are just a bunch of turnip farmers who never got off the ranch. :nonono:
As a Canadian who for many years could travel to the US without a passport, I conclude it is lack of inquisitiveness about other cultures. I have had a passport since 1963.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom