What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I think that's usually the reason. OTOH, the back of the Nexus is totally different. I also think that sometimes they just haven't decided on a model name yet.

Quite possible! The lead time for case parts can be many weeks, and you can't rush Marketing on getting product names. When I see the time and resources my company puts into names for some products --focus groups, consultants, customer surveys, etc.-- it amazes me that we can make a profit.

Agree, there is usually a space on the label for a specific, unique model # so you can find model specific info.

Apple was (maybe still is) terrible for this. When you try to find model info, it says stuff like "For early spring 2009 models". WTH? There are subtle internal differences between the models, we bought it around that time, I don't know if was considered 'early spring' or not, or if we bought the remaining stock of the previous model. Just give me a number that is printed on the case (oh, but that would distract from the beauty of the device!).

Then the Apple fanbois flame you, claiming you just pull down the Apple Menu and select "About this computer" - it's easy, and elegant! Right, I'm trying to troubleshot a computer that doesn't boot! :nonono:

-ERD50

On the back of my MacBook there is a serial #, with that number I can go to the Apple site and find out model and configuration. Oh and if all else fails I would just call Apple with the serial # and get the information.

On the back of my MacBook there is a serial #, with that number I can go to the Apple site and find out model and configuration. Oh and if all else fails I would just call Apple with the serial # and get the information.

That's good to know, I can read the serial number engraved on the case, if I hold it to the light just right, and use a magnifying glass, and juggle pencil/paper to write it down and hopefully type it in w/o error. So convenient.

But sometimes you might just come across some info about the Apple computers from that time period (or any other vaguely labelled product in general), and you want to know if this applies to your model, and maybe the computer (or product in question) isn't nearby.

I know my current Lenovo is a G-710, my old E-Machines is an EM-725, and my very old ASUS is an EEE-PC901. Easy, I even have it memorized w/o even trying.

With Apple, you can look it up as you say, and if someone just asks offhand, you need a paragraph to explain, 'it's an early spring 2009, or was it late spring/early summer - with the xxx chip set, but before they changed to the xyz bridge and they were between the aaa and bbb GPU, but with the ddd display port, but before they increased the default memory and hard drive size, they are all just commonly called "MacBook Pro", with no extension letter/#, so it's confusing.

-ERD50

That's good to know, I can read the serial number engraved on the case, if I hold it to the light just right, and use a magnifying glass, and juggle pencil/paper to write it down and hopefully type it in w/o error. So convenient.

But sometimes you might just come across some info about the Apple computers from that time period (or any other vaguely labelled product in general), and you want to know if this applies to your model, and maybe the computer (or product in question) isn't nearby.

I know my current Lenovo is a G-710, my old E-Machines is an EM-725, and my very old ASUS is an EEE-PC901. Easy, I even have it memorized w/o even trying.

With Apple, you can look it up as you say, and if someone just asks offhand, you need a paragraph to explain, 'it's an early spring 2009, or was it late spring/early summer - with the xxx chip set, but before they changed to the xyz bridge and they were between the aaa and bbb GPU, but with the ddd display port, but before they increased the default memory and hard drive size, they are all just commonly called "MacBook Pro", with no extension letter/#, so it's confusing.

-ERD50

You are right and I agree but was just offering a bit of a solution.

Edit to add: I can't read it so I get one of my children to do so.

Last edited:

Thanks, I do appreciate the solution you offered, I really hadn't considered that - it is helpful.

The rest was still directed at Apple, and other companies that don't have a straightforward model ID. A secondary, milder peeve of mine is model numbers that don't relate to whether it is a higher end model or not. Like is the Gizmo 9 better than the Gizmo 8 or Gizmo 5, or is it lower numbers better, or do the numbers not have any relevance to their position in the lineup.

-ERD50

Then you come across a problem like I have... not an Apple product, but my table is old enough that the serial number has been worn off!!! Yes, the number was in the center of the back and the tablet has been moved, spun around, etc. so much that a good sized spot has been worn down and it is where the serial number used to be...

So, I am SOL....

Then you come across a problem like I have... not an Apple product, but my table is old enough that the serial number has been worn off!!! Yes, the number was in the center of the back and the tablet has been moved, spun around, etc. so much that a good sized spot has been worn down and it is where the serial number used to be...

So, I am SOL....
It is also in the tablet. Something in your system can read it out.

So, I am SOL....

Sucks to be you I guess:D

I am growing very annoyed by the follow-ups coming in US mail from organizations we've donated to recently.

There seem to be weekly mailings by some groups. To me, it seems like this mailing cost detracts from the mission. Am I simply paying up-front cost of having them mail me continuously for several years? Have to ponder this...

I am growing very annoyed by the follow-ups coming in US mail from organizations we've donated to recently.

There seem to be weekly mailings by some groups. To me, it seems like this mailing cost detracts from the mission. Am I simply paying up-front cost of having them mail me continuously for several years? Have to ponder this...

Agree - in some cases, I know with certainty that they have spent way more on follow-up mailings to me than what I donated in the first place. That said, I suppose, overall, it may still make sense for them

Agree - in some cases, I know with certainty that they have spent way more on follow-up mailings to me than what I donated in the first place. That said, I suppose, overall, it may still make sense for them
This sometimes makes me want to give a token donation to a group I oppose. Let them expend more resources and dollars sending me junk mail for months to come. And, it helps support the USPS, printing companies, all the consultants the hire to write the stuff, etc. A win-win.

Maybe I'd score a triple win if I donated in the name of someone I don't like, and let them field the junk mail.

Maybe I'd score a triple win if I donated in the name of someone I don't like, and let them field the junk mail.

I did this to a BIL who was very vocal about his opposition to a political candidate before the last election. I mailed a $2 cash donation to the candidate's campaign in his name, thus guaranteeing that he'd be deluged with junk mail soliciting more donations.

I know, I know, that's just plain mean.:LOL:

Actually we get along well, I just couldn't resist the temptation given his vehemence about his opposition to that candidate.

If you are my in laws, I will kill you with my bare hands. I know that's mean too.

I did this to a BIL who was very vocal about his opposition to a political candidate before the last election. I mailed a $2 cash donation to the candidate's campaign in his name, thus guaranteeing that he'd be deluged with junk mail soliciting more donations.

I know, I know, that's just plain mean.:LOL:

Actually we get along well, I just couldn't resist the temptation given his vehemence about his opposition to that candidate.
Yes, and we've probably run afoul of numerous campaign finance laws and should do jail time.
I heard of one guy who made a large donation to a candidate he hated. It was in excess of the amount allowed by law, I think the donor intended to set the candidate up for legal action by the FEC. Anyway, the candidate sent him a check for the amount over the limit, so the donor cashed it. The check written by the donor was NSF--he was happy to pay the bank fine and keep the candidate's money. Seems kinda risky to me.

Don't know how I missed this thread in the past... with my cantankerous (sp?) personality I can probably come up with a number of "peeves!"

I'll start with this one, it's a frequent occurrence near our house and I saw it again this morning:

We live at the corner of a very narrow neighborhood side-street and a relatively major street (although just two-lanes) through our town. The intersection has a traffic light - mostly because it's a blind corner so the light is useful to minimize problems turning onto the larger street.

Not a week goes by when some car on the narrow side street proceeds too far into the intersection (beyond the Stop bar) so the traffic light sensor doesn't recognize a vehicle is present. The vehicle is now encroaching into the larger of the two streets and passing traffic honks their horns at the idiot that's nearly in the middle of the intersection! The driver of the vehicle to apparently unaware of how traffic light sensors work and doesn't attempt to back up to activate the sensor. Ultimately, the vehicle on the side street becomes frustrated that the light doesn't change and turns right on red (illegal at this intersection) or even left on red (certainly illegal at this intersection).

I'd like to be "king for a day" and take away the driver license of people that are this stupid or unaware of their surroundings!

The pot calling the kettle black on here. Folks who rip on you for how you address an issue, only to turn right around and do the exact same thing to someone else in another thread. :facepalm:

I simply cannot stand it when I see employees show up for work and take the best possible parking spots. Most of these people are on their feet for over seven hours a day and they simply can't walk a little bit to get to the entrance of the store.

Just had lunch with the better half at Pizza Hut. Settling the bill and after getting change, as usual I said "thank you". The response? Yup. Thanks for taking my money. Yup. Customer appreciation at it's finest.

Electronic, changing menu boards, like at McDonalds. I'm staring at it trying to decide what coffee drink I'm going to order and it blinks and shows something else for a while, then comes back to the same menu display. In the meantime I've lost my concentration. :(

I simply cannot stand it when I genuinely cannot tell if someone is being serious about what they simply cannot stand.

I simply cannot stand it when I genuinely cannot tell if someone is being serious about what they simply cannot stand.

Oh, I know........I hate that!

Electronic, changing menu boards, like at McDonalds. I'm staring at it trying to decide what coffee drink I'm going to order and it blinks and shows something else for a while, then comes back to the same menu display. In the meantime I've lost my concentration. :(

I thought I was one of the few who disliked these menu boards! I find myself watching them for up to three or four cycles to finally make up my mind. Yes, these boards allow more items to be displayed in a limited space but they drive me crazy too!

I thought I was one of the few who disliked these menu boards! I find myself watching them for up to three or four cycles to finally make up my mind. Yes, these boards allow more items to be displayed in a limited space but they drive me crazy too!

Easy solution. Avoid fast food places :D.

Seriously, on the rare occasion we stop at one, usually on a road trip, they ARE annoying, but they are catering to their normal clientel, not a 61 yo. Besides, DW will have a coupon, so I know what I will get :facepalm:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom