What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I eat my peas with honey.
I've done it all me life.
The peas taste rather funny,
But it keeps them on the knife!"

Never had a problem eating that way. Now eating peas with chopsticks, that's tricky.

I guess you missed my post #2061!

A peeve this morning from w*rk: Young employees who avoid greeting you or even looking at you in common areas and hallways, even when you WORK ON THE SAME PROJECT TOGETHER! I've noticed this with newer, young workers, and find it rather rude. Some actually look the other way seemingly to avoid eye contact. Ok, maybe I'm "old" (almost 55!) and may have a different lifestyle, but we are coworkers for crying out loud! The least they could do is say, "Good morning" on a Monday morning!

How funny, I notice it's the older workers who are most likely to avoid my eye and not respond to a "good morning." Maybe some people just don't like to talk to those of a different generation?

How funny, I notice it's the older workers who are most likely to avoid my eye and not respond to a "good morning." Maybe some people just don't like to talk to those of a different generation?

Could be, or maybe it's just the type of younger workers I'm around, software engineers who tend to be more introverted.

Sidewalk etiquette

DW and I walk 3 plus miles most mornings for our exercise. It is almost unbelievable the way some people show little to no common courtesy with something so basic as sidewalk etiquette. Several recent incidents come to mind. Please note that these experiences are on residential size sidewalks that are typically sized for two people going in opposite directions to barely pass each other without bumping into each other. I would estimate the width typically 4 feet wide or less. In none of these examples am I talking about heavy foot traffic, only occasional passersby. When DW and I approach on-coming pedestrians, I move to the extreme right side of the sidewalk, directly behind DW to give maximum room for the approaching walker(s) and offer a friendly "Good Morning" as we pass.

Just this morning as we approached an on-coming young man we took up our positions on the extreme right side of the walk at least 50 feet before we were to pass. So what happens, the young man moves from about the center of the sidewalk over to his left side, directly in our line of travel. He continues directly at us and basically forces DW to veer off to the left side of the sidewalk to avoid running directly into him. I stopped into my tracks nearly nose to nose with this young man, and I asked him, "Didn't your parents teach you to pass on the right side?" He said to me, "I'm not from around here." I responded back, "I can tell."

Then there are the people in groups of two or more that are holding what must be a most high level conversation, walking side by side on the sidewalk as you approach going the opposite direction. DW and I take up our single file on the extreme right side of the sidewalk position. But do some of these people in high level discussions show a similar courtesy? Ohhh Nooo, they are too important to have their conversation interrupted so they stay side by side and force you off the sidewalk.

Ever approach bicyclists on the sidewalks? When it is kids, no problem I step off the sidewalk to give them plenty of room, but adults? Some are polite and go off the sidewalk and into the grass till they pass, or some really courteous bicyclists will stop, dismount and walk the bike past us. But once in a while you get the adult bicyclist that rides right down the middle of the sidewalk and forces us off of it. How rude. They should be riding in the street anyway, not on the sidewalk.

Then you have the on-coming pedestrian walking their dog. I must admit that most people keep their pet under control as we pass but there are quite a few people that assume that all people love to have their pet jump up on you and expect you are just dying to pet them. Don't get me wrong, we like dogs, but it is best to be wary of strange dogs.

I haven't even mentioned drivers that seem to think there is no reason to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk. After all, they don't want to be late to work.

OK, here's the one we've all been waiting for, but nobody has dared to mention....Male cashiers in grocery stores. Man bun optional. Almost always a chubby, relaxed millennial. They are new to my area. I preferred the chicks.

Yes! Yes! Yes! Another couple glaring errors one always sees in TV sitcoms and movies: 1) The dorky, ugly guy, often without a redeeming personality, who is dating, of course, the knockout model-quality female. No explanation ever given, just accept it, right? Like George Costanza in Seinfeld.

100% male fantasy.

Really? I do not find "chick" or "dude" to be a problem.

But that's me.

That's why the title of the thread is "YOUR pet peeve....", not "everyone's pet peeve...."

Yes! Yes! Yes! Another couple glaring errors one always sees in TV sitcoms and movies: 1) The dorky, ugly guy, often without a redeeming personality, who is dating, of course, the knockout model-quality female. No explanation ever given, just accept it, right? Like George Costanza in Seinfeld.

100% male fantasy.

My favorite example of this phenomen is the burly and overbearing Jon Favreau's character in his own movie "Chef"--his mistress is Scarlett Johansson and his wife is Sofia Vergara. Sure, two of the most beautiful women in Hollywood, why not.

My favorite example of this phenomen is the burly and overbearing Jon Favreau's character in his own movie "Chef"--his mistress is Scarlett Johansson and his wife is Sofia Vergara. Sure, two of the most beautiful women in Hollywood, why not.
It depends on how much money they have right? Did we just heard on TV some young attractive woman married to not so attractive hedge fund guy overseas. On the Royal gossip column, there are all kind of nasty term to describe his looks. I won't repeat them here.

Last edited:
When I was 50 something, a young black woman in my computer class referred to me as "Dude" as in "Dude, can I see your notes from the last class?". I was not offended at all. Somewhat pleased, actually.

When I was 50 something, a young black woman in my computer class referred to me as "Dude" as in "Dude, can I see your notes from the last class?". I was not offended at all. Somewhat pleased, actually.

But think of the opposite....

Would you say 'Chick, can I see your notes from the last class?'..... I think not...

However, when not being specific then I am OK with chick... but I usually use girl or lady...

I think it depends on the area of the country and the culture there. Decades ago I was taking a furnace-repair class in NJ and there were people there from all over the east coast. I called some guy "Dude" and was amazed that he thought it was an insult at first. Then he realized I wasn't being antagonistic. He explained that calling someone that in the NYC neighborhood where he was from was likely to start a fight.

BTW, service repair techs all have stories about homes they've seen on the inside. He's the guy who said "You know you're in a bad neighborhood when you pull the refrigerator out from the wall and the roaches pull it back."

Back to being topic....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom