What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
FINALLY got the check from the title company for the sale of my late Dad's house last year since it's been 12 months since he died (hard to believe!). They had to hold it in an escrow account due to some rule. On a quarter million dollars we got just north of $500 interest over 9 months. They just had to use the brick and mortar bank next door to them where short term CDs earn all of 0.2%. I'm sure there's "no collusion!"

At last I'll be able to write checks to the heirs for most of what's coming to them starting next week. It will be good to dump this part-time job called executor (although it paid fairly well as an RE gig).

Title insurance is a big scam. I see no reason for it.

I could have been the one in the RV. And yes my max speed is 65mph both for safety and economy. And no I won't pull over in Texas and risk my over $4000 tires to damage from shoulder debris and even more $$$$$ from damage caused from a blowout. I will use the right lanes wherever they are. Basically it's like this: if you aren't a good enough driver to safely pass me, then deal with it. And that's my pet peeve for today, people who tailgate and get peeved at me for driving safely.

Was not talking about pulling on a shoulder... there were pullout for people to park and look at the views... some long ones also.... easy to pull out and let the line of cars behind you by....

There are also a good number of no passing zones (some long) so there is no way to safely pass....

On a freeway I am fine with what you say as I do it with my boat, but I also know there are going to be passing sections at various points where people can pass easily.... not so in the national park....

Also depends on what the message is, is it an obfuscation, and (perhaps) who is trying to implicate whom.

Exactly. So, nobody at CBS thought of that?

Okay, one other example: CBS had a story about microscopic pieces of plastic in bottled water:

https://www.cbsnews.com/live/video/...stic-particles-in-93-of-bottled-water-tested/

The question they don't answer: Does the plastic just pass through you? Is it totally benign or not?

Another site says, "The consequences of these findings for human health are unknown." CBS should have said that.

Title insurance is a big scam. I see no reason for it.

Well, it worked out for me....

After we bought our house a past due tax bill shows up that was not found or disclosed with penalties etc.... all I had to do was send it to the title company and they took care of it... IIRC it was close to $2K....

Every dog from the pound has suddenly become a 'Rescue Dog' - if we buy T-shirts from a thrift store are they now 'Rescue T-shirts'?

Here's another example of something the news didn't mention (didn't think of it?):

Skripal, the former Russian double agent, was killed with a nerve agent that was developed in a top-secret laboratory in Moscow.

Here's the question they didn't ask or try to answer: There are lots of ways to kill someone. Why do you need to use a nerve agent that would tie it to Russia? Why not just shoot him?

The only reasons I could think of would be to send a message.

In any case, why has no one mentioned that?

It’s been mentioned on at least one political show. And think of the guy who died of Polonium poisoning. Who uses polonium but nefarious governments? It isn’t exactly a subtle message.

Every dog from the pound has suddenly become a 'Rescue Dog' ....................-
Actually I think they all become Therapy Dogs - in every store here in greater Portlandia. :rolleyes:

Seems some folks do not buy the optional turn signals for their cars.

Today I have a pet peeve. Email systems that delete, or categorize as junk, messages sent to a mailing list, or messages with attachments. It’s creating a lot of rework for me as I try to manage a golf group. People with certain types of email accounts complain that I am not sending them information or not responding to them, when in fact I have proof I sent the emails and I respond ASAP. It makes me look bad, and it’s outside my control.
I think the recipients just have to make sure that the sender is in their address book. I know I get messages from my bank that are in junk now because there are so many spam masquerading as banks. I just mark them as not junk.

Invariably someone would warn me to “be careful; nobody uses turn signals around here.” :LOL:

When my late wife & I first moved to Salt Spring Island in B.C., we were told, by someone who relocated to there about a year earlier, of following an older lifetime island resident who suddenly and without warning turned into a driveway..........when confronted, the islander replied "Well, everybody knows I live here".

Went shopping for some stuff today. Spent over an hour loading up a half-full cart. Left cart and went to restroom (short few minutes) before getting ready to pay and leave. Upon returning, my cart was nowhere to be found. What? Can't even take a pee break now without the cart being taken away? :facepalm:

I ended up just buying a couple of things I intended to buy and no more. Either this was an odd incidence or a bad store policy.

Apparently, after many years in the Girl Scouts, I still cannot make a decent fire in the fireplace. :(

Exactly. So, nobody at CBS thought of that?

Okay, one other example: CBS had a story about microscopic pieces of plastic in bottled water:

https://www.cbsnews.com/live/video/...stic-particles-in-93-of-bottled-water-tested/

The question they don't answer: Does the plastic just pass through you? Is it totally benign or not?

Another site says, "The consequences of these findings for human health are unknown." CBS should have said that.

Isn't that why we have a liver?

Our local Kroger has started using hand-held scanners where you are supposed to scan everything as you go and pay for it at the self-serve checkout. I haven't tried it yet, but based on my experience with the self-scanners I'm not optimistic.

My peeve is that they also got rid of all the express lanes and put in additional self-service checkout lanes. Today, the lines at the regular checkouts were all too long so against my better judgment I used one of the self-service checkouts.

BAD idea! As usual, the dang thing locked up on me at least three times because it thought I had placed something in the bagging area when I hadn't. Each time, I get the "attendant called" message and I have to stand there while the poor guy's helping somebody else with the same problem. And I have to scan at a rate probably 1/10th that at which I see the cashiers doing, likely because it's weighing each item in the bagging area to make sure it doesn't think I'm stealing something.

Maybe next time I will give one of the hand-held scan-as-you-go doohickeys a try. But this whole thing is an attempt to push more of the customer service duties onto the customer.

Our local Kroger has started using hand-held scanners where you are supposed to scan everything as you go and pay for it at the self-serve checkout. I haven't tried it yet, but based on my experience with the self-scanners I'm not optimistic.

My peeve is that they also got rid of all the express lanes and put in additional self-service checkout lanes. Today, the lines at the regular checkouts were all too long so against my better judgment I used one of the self-service checkouts.

BAD idea! As usual, the dang thing locked up on me at least three times because it thought I had placed something in the bagging area when I hadn't. Each time, I get the "attendant called" message and I have to stand there while the poor guy's helping somebody else with the same problem. And I have to scan at a rate probably 1/10th that at which I see the cashiers doing, likely because it's weighing each item in the bagging area to make sure it doesn't think I'm stealing something.

Maybe next time I will give one of the hand-held scan-as-you-go doohickeys a try. But this whole thing is an attempt to push more of the customer service duties onto the customer.

This frankly annoys me no end. I've decided I want nothing to do with it. There is no upside for me at all to do their work for them. It's quite enough that I too often have to bag my own groceries; doing my own cashiering or using the frimpin' hand-held (produce is a real pain) and bagging as I go is just too much aggravation. I may be retired, but if you want me to do something that takes my time and effort, you'll have to pay me.

I, too, see no advantage to a scan-as-I-go setup. And if I saw a huge line at checkout due to elimination of live cashier's and regular self-serve checkout, I'd abandon the cart right there and go somewhere else to shop. "Sorry, I can't stay here for this. The ice cream and steaks are at the bottom, sorry."
Methinks even the thickest innovation obsessed management will get the clue when they are spending more restocking items left by irate customers than they would have paid cashiers.

Last edited:
Our local Kroger has started using hand-held scanners where you are supposed to scan everything as you go and pay for it at the self-serve checkout. I haven't tried it yet, but based on my experience with the self-scanners I'm not optimistic. .....

Scanning as you go doesn't appeal to me but I do like the way they do it at some checkouts at BJ's... you leave everything in the cart and just scan each item with a handheld scanner after scanning your membership card... that approach works really well in my experience.

Then I just walk the cart to the car an put the items in bags that I keep in the trunk.

Went shopping for some stuff today. Spent over an hour loading up a half-full cart. Left cart and went to restroom (short few minutes) before getting ready to pay and leave. Upon returning, my cart was nowhere to be found. What? Can't even take a pee break now without the cart being taken away? :facepalm:
I was at Costco in the checkout and discovered that my membership had expired. Went to their desk and took 10 minutes to get two new ones (luckily DW was there to get her picture taken), and returned to find the cart intact at the end of the nearest isle.

I think the wide variety of self-checkout solutions indicates that no one has found an acceptable solution yet. In Walmart in Mexico, express checkout is a single line for 6 or 8 cashiers. Seems to work great.

I received four text messages from four different campaigns telling me who to vote for in yesterday's primary. Gah. There's no escape from marketers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom