What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Were the texts in English or Russian?

Not picking up on Russian accents :LOL:. Here's one of them: "This is Jessica with Team JB! The primary election is just around the corner-can we count on your vote for JB and Juliana?" Go away, textbots.

I love scanners, they save me a lot of time.

I love food and I love "spur of the moment" inspirations. A lot of times I will go to the grocery to buy a lb of burger and a couple of rolls (or similar) and instead of waiting behind people with full carts I just breeze through the scanner. Don't even need a bag I have so little.

I love scanners, they save me a lot of time.

I love food and I love "spur of the moment" inspirations. A lot of times I will go to the grocery to buy a lb of burger and a couple of rolls (or similar) and instead of waiting behind people with full carts I just breeze through the scanner. Don't even need a bag I have so little.

I'm the same way. I never buy more than I can easily carry to the car, so I never need a shopping cart, just a hand basket. And I always use the self-checkout lane. I visit the supermarket at least two or three times a week for these small loads.

Haven't seen the handheld scanners you carry around the store yet, but for the few things I buy at a time I don't think it would be a problem for me.

not a pet peeve, but one that I found a solution to

We have been using Walmart grocery online to place orders. Convenient and I can find anything in the store, including non-grocery items, on the site. I place the order and pick a time when to pick it up. They text or e-mail me at the start of the hour time I picked. The store is a mile away and I just drive down to the designated area and they load the items (pre-bagged) in the back of the car.

Works great and no searching the store for items and using scanners, etc. I do the shopping since DW can't do it anymore.

There are times when I go get a few items in person and deal with the stores.

I have now tried online grocery shopping with pickup and with delivery. I love the delivery option. It’s definitely worth the small extra cost if you have a big order.

When I visit the store, I usually use the self checkout, but I usually get into an argument with the computer and we have to call a referee! :LOL:

I have now tried online grocery shopping with pickup and with delivery. I love the delivery option. It’s definitely worth the small extra cost if you have a big order.

When I visit the store, I usually use the self checkout, but I usually get into an argument with the computer and we have to call a referee! :LOL:

When I was living in NYC there was a guy who swore by delivery.... he lived on the 5th floor of a walk up and bought a LOT of beer...

I did not know about that option for awhile, but never used it since when I found out I was already living at a place where the store was 1/2 block away and I could easily carry what I bought...

I've often wondered about that. What do you do about subpar produce ? Do you go through the order with the delivery guy and make them take back bad fruit or wilted lettuce ?

Or do you just mail it back in the pre-stamped envelope... :D

I've often wondered about that. What do you do about subpar produce ? Do you go through the order with the delivery guy and make them take back bad fruit or wilted lettuce ?
Hmm. Kroger has all the lettuce in the same bin and sells them all at the same price, as though they are identical. But they aren't, and Suzy shopper picks through them in the store to find the best ones. The Kroger grocery getter picking items to be delivered or picked up is not going to be choosy. In fact, Kroger wants to sell those semi-wilted heads that Suzy has rejected, and this is a great way to do it.

It seems that the delivery customers should get the lettuce at a lower price than Suzy paid. Or, at very least, their lettuce should come from an independent bin at the back of the store so they truly get a randomly good head, not Suzy's rejects.

Or do you just mail it back in the pre-stamped envelope... :D

I’ve done it twice now. The first time, which was just prior to Christmas, a woman and a man came. They were very professional. The second time, it was one guy. In both cases they called about five minutes ahead to confirm that they were on their way. We checked everything against their list and reviewed any substitutions (one item was on sale and was cheaper). My first order included my Christmas turkey, which was perfect. The veggies were extremely fresh and I think this was due to the fact that the shoppers have access to the warehouse and can choose produce that has just arrived, before it hits the shelves. Afterwards, I got an email with a survey to complete.

This was Save On Foods in BC. I don’t think you have them in Toronto.

Today’s pet peeve is rude “customer service” agents. I need to book an airport hotel for an upcoming trip, and because I will have lots of luggage, I want the hotel right at the terminal. OK, it’s a Sheraton. So I go online and check the best rates. I have been an SPG member since 2005, but since ER I haven’t been doing any business travel, so my card has been deactivated (after only 1 year!). I call to get my card reactivated, and run into the nastiest, rudest, bully of a man you can imagine. He yells at me, reads me the rule book, seems determined to make me feel like a recalcitrant juvenile delinquent, then tries to bully me into making a non refundable booking at an inflated price. I verified that my SPG card was now active again, said goodbye, and booked the room on a flexible basis for $100 less than Mr. Bully was offering.

I hate having to deal with people like that, which is why I do as much as possible online. I think bullying has become more common of late.

In fairness, last week I had occasion to speak with a customer service agent from Air Canada. He couldn’t have been nicer and I saved $2500.

Last edited:
I tried the scan as you go at Kroger today. Seemed like a lot of work, scanning, oops try again, ok, now fumble with the bag in the cart, oops, don’t put the soup on top of the bread, why didn’t it give me the sale price on the wine, find somebody to ask, oh, it does that with alcohol but it will make it right at checkout, no you can’t get the deposit on the milk bottle at the self checkout you have to wait in line at customer service, yes, a lot of people say they want us to bring back the express lanes.

I only had two bags but it sure seemed like a lot of work. I wouldn’t mind scanning at checkout but as I said before their system has a hair trigger on the sensor in the bagging area and constantly screws up and you have to wait for the attendant to come and reset it.

So I’m still peeved. :)

It seems to work when you buy their bags. When I try to use my recyclable cloth bags, I always end up with an attendant! And if I am getting one items that I can stick in my murse, oh boy!

I think they should abandon the bagging weighing and have the attendant count your items like Costco does.

It seems to work when you buy their bags. When I try to use my recyclable cloth bags, I always end up with an attendant! And if I am getting one items that I can stick in my murse, oh boy!

I think they should abandon the bagging weighing and have the attendant count your items like Costco does.

I find the key is to press down really hard on the bottom of the bag when you put something in. It seems to register better that way.

I find the key is to press down really hard on the bottom of the bag when you put something in. It seems to register better that way.

Of course, then you'll be charged for 180 lbs of apples. :LOL:

Pet peeves - just go with the flow like the ancient Stoics. Too many truly important issues to tackle in life.

I think I am going to try this online grocery ordering. Every time I go to Costco or the grocery store, I end up with lots of stuff that was not on my list to begin with. :ermm:

So, even with the delivery charge, online shopping is bound to save me money.

Pet peeves - just go with the flow like the ancient Stoics. Too many truly important issues to tackle in life.
And how did that "go with the flow" thing work out for those ancient Stoics? See any of them still around? Nope! They should have cultivated their peeves, maybe they'd still be here. Anyway, being in a constant state of irritation might not make a person live longer, but it will seem longer. :)

I think I am going to try this online grocery ordering. Every time I go to Costco or the grocery store, I end up with lots of stuff that was not on my list to begin with. :ermm:

So, even with the delivery charge, online shopping is bound to save me money.

It’s a learning curve. I ordered organic peanut butter, the store’s own brand, because I like the fact that it’s only ingredient is peanut butter. It’s on sale, too! Well, what do you know, they’re out of stock, and substitute another well known brand, which is full of additives. They charge me only the sale price, though. But now I know that next time, I will check “no substitutes”.

A real pet peeve of mine that just happened today is the slow wallet draw, whether it’s waiting in line at the grocery store and the guy in front of you doesn’t go for the draw until the cashier verbally announces the total or one of my buddies at Starbucks that actually never draws it out, to him it’s a slow roll but it’s actually a no roll, I can see his hand on it but it never comes out.

This reminded me of the old days, when a majority of people wrote checks.
I almost always filled in all but the transaction amount b4 I went into the store.
But just like you mentioned above, some people wouldn't even remove their checkbook from their purse/pocket until the cashier told them the amount :mad:

The strength and resistance of cheap perfumes and scents.

We got a bunch of these at a rummage sale:

71c8%2B8mhS9L._SL1500_.jpg

Got them home and I realized they smelled of cheap perfume. Strong odor. I figured they just had been used in a home with a lot of air freshener, but now I think the scent was added to the plastic.

I soaked them in vinegar, but the scent remains.

Soft plastic, as those probably are, absorbs scents easily. Leave them out in the sun for a day and they'll probably lose it.

I'm not fond of perfumes and colognes because of my allergies. But what I've never been able to figure out is someone will put on a scent then use hand lotion, hair spray, blah, blah, blah, and each one has a different scent. Why not use unscented whatever so it doesn't clash with your perfume?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom