What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's far more important things to be annoyed about, IMO, than how someone responds to a "Thank you." I'm not sure I noticed before, but since reading that it annoyed someone, I've noticed that both DH (56) and our son (22) say "No problem." It still doesn't annoy me. :D

:greetings10: which is why they're called pet peeves. personally, NP doesn't rise to the level of a peeve for me. Happy Holidays! comes closer and I always respond with Merry Christmas! not often but every now and then the tolerant recipient of my greeting gives me the stink eye which I return with a hearty smile.

when I wore a younger man's clothes I had what I though was a brilliant idea for a "pet rock" sort of thing. a Pet Peeve...maybe a cute little dog, cat, pygmy pig, cuddle fish...whatever your favorite pet is along with whatever peeve you might have. as I said I was a 20-something and Pet Rocks, mood rings, biorhythm charts were all the rage. never did anything with that idea.

My pet peeve today is all the stores rushing into Xmas selling before Thanksgiving, my favorite holiday. I’m kinda used to it but today there were bell ringers at the grocery store (and tiny live trees on sale). Last year there were no bell ringers. I think I posted about it and most said they still had bell ringers (and encouraged me to volunteer). I look forward to bell ringing season and make a point of having plenty of small bills but not before Thanksgiving, dang it!

Well, Thanksgiving is the latest that it can be this year.

And that squeezes the days between so retailers are jumping the gun more than ever. Does anyone buy an Xmas tree before Thanksgiving?

These refer a friend offers from Credit Card companies - "refer a friend and get x amount of bonus points". Credit card shopping is a pretty personal decision and I'm not going to let some bonus points cause an awkward situation with a friend... and when you're friend tells you he/she applied and you don't ever get the bonus points - do you ask them if they were approved:confused: ---- credit card companies - Stop it!!!

I had to verify the amounts Paypal sent to my checking account to get the privilege of transferring from Paypal to checking. Something about my Internet Explorer and Edge browser configuration made this impossible without an annoying work around. Paypal's "confirm" link didn't work in Edge so I went to IE. In IE the link took me to another page but I just got a "working on it" graphic that wouldn't go away. I copied the URL from IE, went back to Edge, logged into Paypal, and pasted the URL into Edge and it worked.

Even then I was annoyed because before being prompted to enter the confirmation amounts I was prompted to enter my Fidelity login information. Something called Yodlee was involved so I looked that up. I didn't want to do it, so I clicked the decline link thinking I may have to settle for being unable to transfer money to my checking account (I could still have physical checks mailed to me from Paypal). But then I got the prompt to enter the amounts so it worked out.

Still no idea what browser settings caused this. Important websites should have better error reporting.

Last edited:
"No problem" has never bugged me. Maybe I just convert it in my mind to a "you're welcome". ...

My executive assistant used to say no problem in response to my thanking her all the time.... at first, it bugged me a little bit but I quickly got used to it... just one of her quirks.... but she was a great EA.

Guess I’ll go back to reading but not posting. I thought this was a pet peeve thread and I was just agreeing it bugged me too. Sorry
Sorry if I contributed to this. A friend of mine told me about a similar phrase people would say to him that struck him wrong, but he learned to cope by rephrasing it in his mind. It has helped me, so I thought I'd pass it along and maybe it'll help others.

Yesterday's peeve, multiple bicyclists not yielding when entering a roundabout. Blowing through causing cars already in to slam on their brakes. Almost caused an accident.

Sorry if I contributed to this. A friend of mine told me about a similar phrase people would say to him that struck him wrong, but he learned to cope by rephrasing it in his mind. It has helped me, so I thought I'd pass it along and maybe it'll help others.
My bad! (Another of my language pet peeves!lol). I was having a bad day, and that tipped me over the edge sorry. I realize it is no biggie. I have never been anything but pleasant when someone says “no problem”. I even fully understand it is just a phrase that is now pretty common. But,I pretty mush always think to myself! Well yeh it shouldn’t be a problem should it. I do think I may have some aspergers because I have trouble taking things too literal. I work around it. Now back to my scheduled lurking

B of A

I needed to get some money to DS to open escrow on the home they are buying. He gave me his B of A account and routing, I withdrew some cash from my WF account because I did not want for a check to clear.
It was Saturday and they only had 2 tellers even though a lot of people work all week. and have to wait until Saturday to cash their checks.
I finally get to the teller, and was told they cannot accept a cash deposit to another person's account if I do not have an account with them. WTF:confused:
It turns out it is a federal requirement that I never knew.
I finally got hold of an officer and was told I could use Zelle. BS! Both parties have to be registered with Zell for the transfer.
I finally realized I could do a wire transfer to his account, but when I tried to use the routing number it would not work.. I finally realized that there is a different routing number for wire transfers. I googled for the number, and found it.
Had I realized the problems, I could have done that and saved myself a great deal of aggravation and 2 wasted hours:(.

I needed to get some money to DS to open escrow on the home they are buying. He gave me his B of A account and routing, I withdrew some cash from my WF account because I did not want for a check to clear.
It was Saturday and they only had 2 tellers even though a lot of people work all week. and have to wait until Saturday to cash their checks.
I finally get to the teller, and was told they cannot accept a cash deposit to another person's account if I do not have an account with them. WTF:confused:
It turns out it is a federal requirement that I never knew.
I finally got hold of an officer and was told I could use Zelle. BS! Both parties have to be registered with Zell for the transfer.
I finally realized I could do a wire transfer to his account, but when I tried to use the routing number it would not work.. I finally realized that there is a different routing number for wire transfers. I googled for the number, and found it.
Had I realized the problems, I could have done that and saved myself a great deal of aggravation and 2 wasted hours:(.

If you really want to pull your hair out about banking laws, try refinancing or apply for a new mortgage if you have rental properties. Cash deposits to a bank account are live trip wires! If the rental deposits are not received and deposited on the same day each month, another trip wire. DW and I both have FICO scores of 825+, but throw in a cash deposit and now you're under close watch for money laundering! 6 months of bank statements from 3 banks! It took us 2 months to get approved for a refinance with the same bank we used for the last 25 years. We then applied for a HELOC with the same bank and it took 4 months. We tried to use the same walk-thru official appraisal for the HELOC since it was originally only 2 weeks old, but they insisted on using a drive by appraisal of $75,000 less, screwing up the equity/debt ratios. Originally, they couldn't figure out why we would take out a 3.125% fixed mortgage on our residence to pay off a 5% floating mortgage and a 4.25% mortgage on the rentals. We went through 8 different loan originators/underwriters at the same bank, over the 6 month period. We ended up improving our monthly debt cash flow by $990/month. Our HELOC is there only if I find my 71-72 Chevy Chevelle SS with a 454 dream hot rod at a good price.

My mattress from Amazon was supposed to arrive by 9 PM. It's now 9:38 PM and the tracking page says "Still arriving today."

Maybe I should take this as a sign that Amazon's business is booming this holiday season and buy their stock.

Now expected November 26 - November 28

We’re very sorry your delivery is late. Most late packages arrive in a day. If you have not received your package by November 28, you can come back here the next day for a refund or replacement.

Note that one way you can check is to look at the details on the order page and see if it is out for delivery. If on the day expected it is not out for delivery it will be late. I had a couple of shipments from Phoenix to Albuquerque NM get lost in the USPS shipping, but then they showed up a few days later.

One day back in 2014 I had a package delayed from Knoxville to Dallas to get to Kerrville, but that was a day the interstate was closed by a snow storm, in that case it was not Amazon's fault at all.

Note that one way you can check is to look at the details on the order page and see if it is out for delivery. If on the day expected it is not out for delivery it will be late. I had a couple of shipments from Phoenix to Albuquerque NM get lost in the USPS shipping, but then they showed up a few days later.

It was listed as out for delivery all day, from the early morning. There were no updates after that until after 10PM.

And that squeezes the days between so retailers are jumping the gun more than ever. Does anyone buy an Xmas tree before Thanksgiving?

We live near a couple of tree farms. Since Sunday I have seen several cars driving around with trees strapped to their roofs. We also know a couple of families whose Thanksgiving tradition is to set up and decorate the tree (purchased a few days before) on Thanksgiving evening.

My pet peeve of the day. People that walk beside their shopping cart rather than push it or even pull it. Usually they are walking at a very slow pace or meandering around while staring at their phone. The store is crowded enough.

My DW usually is the one who handles all of our health care calls and paperwork. What irks me is I will have to verbally give permission on the phone for her to get anything done for me. The call goes like this: is this ****? Yes; is this your date of birth? Yes; is this your address? Yes; is this your SSN? Yes; Ok, she can talk to us....
Seriously? Why would they give out all of my information? Wouldn't it be better to ask me for this info to verify it? What kind of security is that? If anyone calls from my spoofed number they would just give them my info? AARRRGGHH!

My DW usually is the one who handles all of our health care calls and paperwork. What irks me is I will have to verbally give permission on the phone for her to get anything done for me. The call goes like this: is this ****? Yes; is this your date of birth? Yes; is this your address? Yes; is this your SSN? Yes; Ok, she can talk to us....
Seriously? Why would they give out all of my information? Wouldn't it be better to ask me for this info to verify it? What kind of security is that? If anyone calls from my spoofed number they would just give them my info? AARRRGGHH!

and what was the office mgr’s or doc’s response when you pointed that out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom