What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:LOL: I see this on every forum. Someone asks "where can I buy chocolate ice cream" and there are parade of replies like...

• Chocolate sucks , I only eat vanilla!
  • Ice cream will make you fat!
  • I'm lactose intolerant, why would anyone eat ice cream?

You nailed it!

:LOL: I see this on every forum. Someone asks "where can I buy chocolate ice cream" and there are parade of replies like...

• Chocolate sucks , I only eat vanilla!
  • Ice cream will make you fat!
  • I'm lactose intolerant, why would anyone eat ice cream?

Nobody uses forums anymore. You should post on Facebook.

Moochers. We have relatives that live in a more rural area so when we visit from "the city" they ask us to pick up a few things for them then conveniently forget to pay us back. DW says to forget it so all I can do is whine here. :LOL:

This reminds me of a lady in France who was offended when she saw me having my after dinner espresso and rudely confronted me, "That would keep me up all night. Why are you drinking it?" :confused:

answer: "why, in order to keep YOU up all night, of course."

My BFF is a pediatrician and the local hospital system talked the insurance companies (most of them) into waiving co pays for tele-med visits. Even so, hardly anyone is calling or coming in.

I called to cancel a doctor appointment for 4/20; she wants to put me on a statin. I told her, gimme 6 months to straighten that cholesterol number out, as it hasn't been the same number twice in the past 6 years. All over the place; so I was supposed to get blood test to ascertain my latest number. I'm not going to a lab right now with this pandemonium going on. So I call to cancel because I don't have the lab work; the girl on the phone keeps telling I should do a tele-med visit. I tell I'm not going to have any blood tests to even have a conversation, but she keeps insisting on a tele-med visit. I told her I had to go after telling her 6 times.

The one way I'm not a good citizen is in my flushing habits. They need to fix the sewage system to handle what people feed it. I'm a lifelong flusher of tissues and I won't stop. However much they increased my taxes to pay for the "damage" it causes is probably worth it to me. I'd even pay for a garbage disposal type thing for the waste line if it would allow me to continue flushing tissues, paper towels, etc. I guess they don't make one. Maybe they should.

I received this email from the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation:

A Reminder to Flush Responsibly

Certain materials flushed down toilets can damage sewer systems, wastewater treatment operations, or private septic systems, even when they are labeled as flushable. Correcting the damage is expensive, so do not flush any of the items listed below, no matter how small. Please throw them in the trash.

• diapers
• baby wipes
• disinfectant wipes
• personal hygiene products
• any paper products other than toilet paper (e.g., paper towels, facial tissues, paper napkins)

Clogged treatment systems are expensive to clean out

I bet they could make them easier to clean. There aren't enough access panels in the world. They had to tear apart the wall in my apartment and a neighbor's and even cut several pieces of rebar to fix a leak once. I looked up the rebar rules and I think they were required to weld it back but they didn't. Then they plastered over it again.

I need a new drain stopper mechanism for the bathtub. They have to tear a hole in the wall of the apartment downstairs to replace it. So they don't. They wait for a leak then they replace the one in the apartment above whether it's broken or not. They recommended a rubber stopper that you step on to seal and unseal. If they just had the right access panel they'd be able to fix it with standard tub hardware.

I always find it humorous when someone expects the world to change to meet their requirements. :)

Come now. Everyone loves Don Quixote.

Yesterday it was DD1 buying a 1L bottle of something called 'SmartWater' which clearly should be called 'StupidWater'. It was 'ok' though because she got 30% off using DD2's employee discount. Only cost $2.

Trigger dad into a rant [discussion] about savings and the time value of money. I'm sure that it was totally appreciated and integrated. (As in the past.)

Yesterday it was DD1 buying a 1L bottle of something called 'SmartWater' which clearly should be called 'StupidWater'. It was 'ok' though because she got 30% off using DD2's employee discount. Only cost $2.

Trigger dad into a rant [discussion] about savings and the time value of money. I'm sure that it was totally appreciated and integrated. (As in the past.)

Just like EVIAN bottled water spells NAIVE backwards. Naive (adj.) showing a lack of experience, wisdom, or judgement

I had to look up "foment" today. We don't need that word. I don't think we have that word in Brooklyn.

I had to look up "foment" today. We don't need that word. I don't think we have that word in Brooklyn.

Isn't it a combination of foam & cement?

Last edited:
The local sewer authority here had an announcement on the news: remember the 3 “p”s. Poop, pee, and paper only, as in toilet paper not any other kind of paper. Why would anyone insist on flushing paper towels, disinfectant wipes, diapers, etc. when they know the system can’t handle it, and it will cost taxpayers (i.e., ME) money because you can’t be bothered?

Harumph!

Complainers.

I’m on the BOD of the HOA for our vacation home. There are ~850 property owners and the all-volunteer BOD has 15 members. We are a “working” board, taking care of everything from road maintenance to supervision of our employees (office, maintenance, lifeguards) to recreation events.

When the governor closed down PA, we closed our amenities (sport courts, beaches). Honestly they get little use in March & April because it’s still cold in the mountains. But, this week I received an email from a member demanding a refund of a portion of the annual assessment because he is unable to use the amenities. If we don’t send a refund, we can expect to hear from his attorney. He probably expects 1/12 of the assessment returned. He is getting nothing, but just for fun I did the math. When I pull out the portion of the assessment that goes to capital reserves, and the portion that is paying for service that hasn’t stopped (maintenance, security, and others) I think there’s about $4 left.

This morning was a different member complained that we are holding our monthly BOD meeting via videoconference, but he thinks there wasn’t proper notice of the change. If we don’t cease having the BOD meeting, “I will get my lawyer involved”. This from a person who I have never seen at a BOD meeting and I’ve been on the board for over six years.

Bring it, dude. Spend your money on a lawyer.

Complainers.

I’m on the BOD of the HOA for our vacation home. There are ~850 property owners and the all-volunteer BOD has 15 members. We are a “working” board, taking care of everything from road maintenance to supervision of our employees (office, maintenance, lifeguards) to recreation events.

When the governor closed down PA, we closed our amenities (sport courts, beaches). Honestly they get little use in March & April because it’s still cold in the mountains. But, this week I received an email from a member demanding a refund of a portion of the annual assessment because he is unable to use the amenities. If we don’t send a refund, we can expect to hear from his attorney. He probably expects 1/12 of the assessment returned. He is getting nothing, but just for fun I did the math. When I pull out the portion of the assessment that goes to capital reserves, and the portion that is paying for service that hasn’t stopped (maintenance, security, and others) I think there’s about $4 left.

This morning was a different member complained that we are holding our monthly BOD meeting via videoconference, but he thinks there wasn’t proper notice of the change. If we don’t cease having the BOD meeting, “I will get my lawyer involved”. This from a person who I have never seen at a BOD meeting and I’ve been on the board for over six years.

Bring it, dude. Spend your money on a lawyer.

It is amazing how clueless some people are. We have an HOA in our condo complex. The indoor pool and rec center are closed, but the pool still needs to be maintained (cleaned, checked, chemicals). That cost does not go away. I suspect we will not open the outdoor pool in May, if at all this season. So, maybe no maintenance costs, but the fixed costs don't go away.

I give you credit for being on the board. Someone needs to do it, but it is thankless.

My pet peeve is people that want to run my life. This has manifested most recently in the Covid19 issue. If you don't do this or do that you are shunned. Everyone thinks they know what is best for other people. They want to take photos or complain to whomever you might be ruled by. It could be your HOA, golf course or whatever. No one wants to get it or die. Just don't project New York on Wyoming or whatever. We are being careful. Just leave it at that. Don't project your OCD or type "A" on everyone else. Seek virtual counseling if it binds you up that much. Thanks in advance for your understanding.

My pet peeve is people that want to run my life. This has manifested most recently in the Covid19 issue. If you don't do this or do that you are shunned. Everyone thinks they know what is best for other people. They want to take photos or complain to whomever you might be ruled by. It could be your HOA, golf course or whatever. No one wants to get it or die. Just don't project New York on Wyoming or whatever. We are being careful. Just leave it at that. Don't project your OCD or type "A" on everyone else. Seek virtual counseling if it binds you up that much. Thanks in advance for your understanding.

What did you do?

My current one is our water district.... a water district is designed to maintain the water and sewer in an area since it is not being provided by a city...

So, for many decades ours have been doing a good job of that... BUT, years ago the Texas legislature allowed these districts to issue bonds so they can offer amenities to their area... a great idea if you live in an area that does not have a HOA...

But ours have decided to have a vote to issue bonds and build a park and 'beautify' the neighborhood... BUT, we have an HOA that we pay money to to do this!!! Why are you wasting MY money so you can build stuff that nobody wants...

I went to the 'show' about it and there were many people talking how it would raise the value of our houses.... hogwash... and BTW they are spending $5000 per house!!

The vote was won by 45 or so... the yes vote was a whopping 7% of the people able to vote... most knew nothing about it...

Well, I am so mad I am running for the board!!! The next peeve is that the election was moved to Nov... I think they can do a lot of damage between now and then.

This goes back a few years but it flares up now and then. I want to discuss/ask about medical issues with experts (not patients) and I tried finding an appropriate message board a few years ago and couldn't. Closest I found was one for nurses but I'd have to pretend to be a nurse. There's a discussion in another thread about intubation and end of life stuff and I'm wondering about some details like what the body has to finish doing before the tube could be removed. Is it the sedatives that need time to clear out (in the case of intubation due to surgery)? Is there research into drugs that could speed that up? Could more numbing drugs be periodically applied around the apparatus in your throat to make it more comfortable? Could a special tube be designed to make that possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom