What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't it as opposed to a non-active shooter, meaning one who has been detained or killed?

If he is detained or killed, he is no longer a shooter at all.

The place it bothers me is mostly in news articles, which are almost always ex post facto, so the shooter has already been detained or killed. In my view, the only time use of the words "active shooter" are appropriate are when there is a actually, right this minute, a person wandering the premises shooting at people. That gives people in the immediate vicinity information that will allow them to take action. In the case of subsequent news articles, as the ones about the incident in Corpus Christi today, the word active is incorrect (redundant at best). How difficult is it to say "An armed assailant forced his way through the front gates of the base and shot two people today. He was killed/detained/whatever?" Jargon is rarely appropriate in a newspaper article.

Training I had when I was traveling to various military bases for work was aimed :cool: at situations where you were dealing with very active shooters. So the term "active," in that context, would get your attention. Thankfully I never had to put that training into practice.

In my view, the only time use of the words "active shooter" are appropriate are when there is a actually, right this minute, a person wandering the premises shooting at people.

Funny, that's exactly what I thought it always meant, and nothing else. But I read very little ordinary news, and had no idea that it was commonly used otherwise.

I'm sure there are no connections, but I recall seeing a young girl, prone to seizures, who had a dog that could recognize when she was about to have one and push her towards the couch. Smell? Electrical currents?

Can you provide any insights? Would appreciate them.

My niece is prone to seizures and one of her dogs has been trained to sense her seizures. The other dog she had (the dogs are siblings) could not be trained.

On the USPS subject: I had been happy with them forever, until a bill I mailed out never made it to the destination. Well, I suppose it might have made it to the destination, then got lost or thrown away. I do get someone else's mail now and then.

People who don't bother to return their shopping carts to the designated space and just leave them off to the side or end of the parking space. I'm not about to risk scratching my car because they're lazy.

I've found the safest place to park is alongside of the cart corral. Less chance of an errant cart hitting your car.

Attachments

• 1A80F93D-B597-4651-9D2B-7166DBAF8B17.jpeg
    1A80F93D-B597-4651-9D2B-7166DBAF8B17.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 53
I've found the safest place to park is alongside of the cart corral. Less chance of an errant cart hitting your car.

I do this, as well. One side also can't get hit by a car door, and if by yourself, park to the left, really near the cart corral, and no one will ding the driver door either. Well, I guess they could if they try.

But it also made me think of Aldi's. Pay a quarter, get it back when you return the cart. And, now during the virus era, they have someone cleaning the carts, no quarter required, yet everyone I have seen still brings the cart back. We have been conditioned by Aldi's.

If you want to be a real mensch, take one of those stray carts from the parking lot back to the store while you're walking in from your car.

Back to Informed Delivery.
Under each image there is a place to check if you did not receive that item. That can be taken to the station that makes your deliveries so it can hopefully be tracked.

OK. Why do characters in TV sitcoms not look their age? Christy, the single mom in the TV show 'Mom' is supposed to be 41, and she looks like she's 19 years old. What? And Becky in 'The Conners' is supposed to be 40 something. And she looks 25. What? And it's never mentioned how young they look, in the show. Unrealistic. What miracle drugs are they taking?

OK. Why do characters in TV sitcoms not look their age? Christy, the single mom in the TV show 'Mom' is supposed to be 41, and she looks like she's 19 years old. What? And Becky in 'The Conners' is supposed to be 40 something. And she looks 25. What? And it's never mentioned how young they look, in the show. Unrealistic. What miracle drugs are they taking?

"Christy" is 43 in real life and I would say she looks 30-something. "Becky" is 45 in real life and I would say looks 30-something. Make up makes a big difference with women. If they weren't wearing make up they would look every bit their age.

Once you start looking at TV shows or movies as a reflection of reality, you are in trouble :). They are more likely a reflection of the "desired reality" of the writers and producers :).

"Christy" is 43 in real life and I would say she looks 30-something. "Becky" is 45 in real life and I would say looks 30-something. Make up makes a big difference with women. If they weren't wearing make up they would look every bit their age.
+1. I don't get the issue here. These people are playing their age. Hollywood tends to favor the good looking. I don't watch the Conners but it seemed to me in the original show that it was one that showed pretty average looking people. You could pick just about any show on TV and see some ridiculously good-looking people, like many doctors on medical dramas.

Usually the age issue is high schools played by 20 something actors.

When you're over 60, everyone under 40 looks 25.

When you're 25, everyone over 40 looks 60.

Once you start looking at TV shows or movies as a reflection of reality, you are in trouble :). They are more likely a reflection of the "desired reality" of the writers and producers :).

I could be in the minority but I have company out there. Since I have all this time on my hands, and have been reading about movies and tv lately, I've noticed a lot of other folks get ticked off about unrealistic stuff, enough so that they stop watching the show. On the other hand, there may be an unrealistic show or two that I enjoy anyway, lol.

+1. I don't get the issue here. These people are playing their age. Hollywood tends to favor the good looking. I don't watch the Conners but it seemed to me in the original show that it was one that showed pretty average looking people. You could pick just about any show on TV and see some ridiculously good-looking people, like many doctors on medical dramas.

Usually the age issue is high schools played by 20 something actors.
That's why I like British and many foreign films or series. The British murder mystery series...everyone looks their age.

Amazon today decided to change my default language from English to Spanish. This happens sporadically, with no rhyme or reason for the change. I am the least Spanish speaking person in the US. I mangle English enough as it is.

It is easy enough to correct, but my first reaction when I see Amazon's home page in Spanish is to think my PC has been hacked. As always, everything checks out clean.

Todays's peeve: Drivers cutting diagonally across shopping center parking lots.

+1. No way there could be anybody in the parking lot but ME!

Years ago when I was younger and had my first shiny new car, I was pulling into a diagonal marked space out in the boonies of the parking lot and almost got rear-ended by the asshat following behind me who was assuming I was cutting across. He had to slam on the brakes and back up, glaring at me of course.

Web sites that have the text in gray rather than black. Or some other color combination that doesn't contrast well. Just because it looks cool?
Old eyes matter!

Movies or TV in which the dialog is drowned out by the music (musak!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom