What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I need to read the label, I take a picture of it with my phone and then pinch it to make it larger so I can read it :LOL::LOL::cool:

If I need to read the label, I take a picture of it with my phone and then pinch it to make it larger so I can read it :LOL::LOL::cool:

Absolutely! I do that with almost any label at the grocery store too as I always forget to bring my reader glasses... :cool:

This is a great idea! I just give it to DH...he's so nearsighted, he could read the stuff written on a pencil point :LOL:. I just put on my 'cutting the cats' nails glasses' and am good.

I do that too. The instructions below show staple holes that can help you reproduce the original size if you want to see how small this was originally.

Attachments

• bungee-hooks-instructions.jpg
    bungee-hooks-instructions.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 60
College Solicitation

Why am I suddenly inundated with emails asking me to enroll in their esteemed institutions (on-line of course). I don’t think they realize that I’m not in their desired target audience. Maybe they know I’m over 60 and might tell the grandkids about the wonders of enrolling in Colorado Christian, or Liberty, Univ of Phoenix, etc....

Pet peeve of the day... watching game 1 of the Stanley Cup finals and the woman singing the US national anthum just butchered it.... I don't mind a little improvisation, but stay with the melody as written. Ugh!

Yep. I bought a GE gas stove from Lowes a few weeks ago. It's a brand new model replacing a discontinued model. After delivery and installation I noticed that the storage drawer didn't look right when closed. The left side closed flush with the oven door but the right side stuck out a bit. When I took out the drawer and turned it over it was clear that the two corners were manufactured differently, one was turned evenly, the other was tucked behind another metal part. Not critical but this was expensive and brand new, it should be close to perfect!

I called Lowes and at first they said they would order a new storage drawer. Then they called back. We can't exchange the drawer, we have to send a whole new stove. I found that odd but if that's what they need to do, OK.

When they came to deliver the replacement stove I told the delivery guy the situation and that I wanted to look at the new drawer first. He took it out, let me inspect it (both corners turned correctly) and we even tried it out on my stove in the kitchen. All was good and he was fine with just exchanging the drawer. I noted that when I signed the delivery receipt.

I thought I was done but a few days later I got an automated call from Lowes delivery that I had a delivery coming the next day! WHAT? Waited through a few phone menu steps and got to a person who told me I had a stove coming tomorrow! No, I have my stove already.

Left hand needs to know what the right hand is doing!

In the big picture, I'm LOVING MY NEW STOVE!

NateW, in doing research before buying my new kitchen appliances (refrigerator and dishwasher last summer, washer 2 years ago) I read many reviews and product reports. There were too many instances of Samsung appliances with electrical problems and too many comments about problems with Samsung support. I know internet reviews aren't always a reliable source but when I shopped I decided to eliminate Samsung as an option. Good luck with your stove.

Thank you for your comments Sue. DW was in charge of researching new stoves and she said she checked online reviews and Consumer Reports. When researching the error code the new range has, I did see the poor Samsung range reviews you noted and I'm concerned about it. Comments centered around the oven's inability to hold accurate temperature and a couple of comments from repair persons stating the double oven was a good concept, but a poorly executed design, plagued with problems. I also don't have a lot of confidence in Consumer Reports (that gave this Samsung stove a glowing review) because they do not review the durability of products in the sense of in 5 years, will there be problems.

The Samsung replaced a perfectly good/working GE gas range, contractor grade, that was in our house we bought last year. We are the 2nd owner, house was built in 2012. We did not like the stove. DW thought the cooktop was hard to clean and my issue was with the cast iron grates for the burners. I never did figure out what the correct way to position them was. They slid in their recesses inserted one way and rotated 90 degrees were wedged in so tight they were not level. The tops of the grates were very slippery because they were enameled. My canner full of boiling water almost slid off the stove one day. And you could not level the stove. The grates were not level with each other or the stove. There was one grate per burner. The user's manual for the stove was generic, and covered many models and depicted a right grate and left grate, each covering 2 burners.

In the house we sold last year, a year prior to moving out we bought new appliances, and the electric range, fridge, and microwave oven were GE. We were not happy with the microwave, it was very flimsy. The range had a similar issue with the lower drawer yours did. Ours was bent and did not sit right in its tracks. I ended up straightening the metal, drilling a few holes and installing sheet metal screws and a reinforcing bar and it took care of the problem.

Well, after the Samsung arrived, I realized that it may not be any better than the GE that was hauled away. Although I do like the burners and the grates are rock solid and the pans do not slide around on them. I just hope the oven is satisfactory on the replacement that is coming next week.

Getting up early and going fishing on the lake, enjoying nature's sounds. That lasts until the skiers show up with their stereos about 9 am. Don't understand why you'd go out to the lake and blast a stereo the whole time. Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky.

I started selling my substantial collection of football cards on eBay recently.
Two separate auctions ended tonight at about 7:30 PM CDT

At approximately 1:00 CDT an eBay member who was interested in them, but hadn't bid yet, asked if I would combine shipping if he won both cards ?

I told him that would be fine. He ended up winning both.
Less than 5 minutes later I get the following eBay message.

Hi,
I was gonna pay but before I have a question for you.
Would you ship to Canada ?
I have a US mailbox to send it to but with covid I would prefer to have it ship to me directly at home since I have no idea when I will have access to that mailbox.

My auctions clearly state that I only ship to the US.

So I'm not the only one who silently screams "YES!" :LOL:

Uh, no. Whenever I receive something that says, “Warning: this is your last chance to order x - we’ll drop you from our mailing list”, I think, “if only”......puhleese make it so...

Uh, no. Whenever I receive something that says, “Warning: this is your last chance to order x - we’ll drop you from our mailing list”, I think, “if only”......puhleese make it so...

I think we're on the same, um, 'page' - my "yes" reflected my desire/intention to leave said page......the one that asked "Are you sure?"

Companies that screw up and say "we don't know what happened."

We are on COBRA until 12/1/2020. It includes vision, dental and medical. I've been paying the premium through a company that manages COBRA. My husband has been getting refills on a med regularly, and I just started on a BP med last month. We both got our flu shots at the pharmacy. No problem. DH and I both had eye appointments this month, and dental appointments. No problem. I got a letter dated 6/3/20 reminding me that I will be off COBRA "within six months." The management company took us off the medical insurance effective 7/1/20 but we were never notified. I have been paying premiums on time, no problem. Unless I checked the website, there was no way to determine that. DH had a telehealth appointment with no indication of a problem. Then they tried to process the claim and it was denied. When I was in a small medical practice, we checked the insurance ahead of time and notified the patient if there was a problem.

We called the insurance company and was on hold about 30 minutes before we were told the insurance was CANCELLED 7/1/20. Then we called the benefits company. The person was very nice and put me on hold to check on the situation, came back, and told me she didn't know what happened but would send an urgent email to correct the problem. She did not give me a time frame to correct the problem until I asked, then she said 2-4 days.

They can erroneously cancel your insurance and not notify you, then keep taking your $1300/month?? WTF?

I hate our miserable, error-prone, fraud-prone, complicated, insurance system.

Companies that screw up and say "we don't know what happened."
They can erroneously cancel your insurance and not notify you, then keep taking your $1300/month?? WTF?

I hate our miserable, error-prone, fraud-prone, complicated, insurance system.
+100
I retired at age 70 in January, and was covered by my company's health insurance up until then. I went to the SS office and got the form for my company to fill out showing I had health coverage so I would not be penalized.
I applied with Blue Shield a month prior to retiring and got a "Welcome" letter. In February I got a letter from Blue Shield telling me I was not eligible for coverage.
It appeared that since I signed up outside the "open enrollment" dates I was not eligible, even though I had never had Medicare. Working with a supervisor, it took until May to straighten it out.

Why is it, when you are in the left turn lane in a long line of cars waiting for the advanced green signal, that the only person not paying attention to the lights is the guy at the very front ? :facepalm:

Why is it, when you are in the left turn lane in a long line of cars waiting for the advanced green signal, that the only person not paying attention to the lights is the guy at the very front ? :facepalm:
That's why God invented horns. ;)

That happens all the time around here....people on phones texting, etc. I'm glad I have a very loud horn in my truck!

When the CAPTCHA is in all caps but you have to enter all lower case.

That happens all the time around here....people on phones texting, etc. I'm glad I have a very loud horn in my truck!

I saw a neat youtube video in which a guy had installed an air compressor and locomotive air horn in his pickup truck. That worked!

The shift in baseball. Still don’t like it. And don’t even get me started in the horrible umpiring that is ramped in the league this year!

I see that the pet peeve thread has just surpassed the funny joke Thursday thread in post count. It only took half as many years to catch it. I guess this means we have a lot more to b*tch about than to laugh about? Well, considering all that is happening so far in 2020 that is probably true for many of us.

Everyone stay healthy and happy!

I saw a neat youtube video in which a guy had installed an air compressor and locomotive air horn in his pickup truck. That worked!

I installed an air horn on my motorcycle, as well as a "flasher" for my headlight. I don't know how many times I have had people slam on brakes and look around for the"big truck" about to run them over as they were about to pull out in front of me!:dance:I just smile and wave as I pass by.

I think a pet peeve should be the fault of others but this is the closest thread for this. My language skills are largely based on what sounds right from my experience rather than knowing grammatical rules. I just saw the headline "How Trump can win a historically consequential faceoff" and I thought "an" would sound better to me but I'm inclined to think the headline is correct just because it's from a major media outlet. Then I thought "an historic" is correct and "a consequential" is correct but I can't explain why other than they sound correct. I'm not good with identifying the parts of speech, but the words "historic" and "consequential" seem like the same type of word, yet one goes with "an" and the other with "a" which bothers me. I should probably learn this stuff more formally.

I think a pet peeve should be the fault of others but this is the closest thread for this. My language skills are largely based on what sounds right from my experience rather than knowing grammatical rules. I just saw the headline "How Trump can win a historically consequential faceoff" and I thought "an" would sound better to me but I'm inclined to think the headline is correct just because it's from a major media outlet. Then I thought "an historic" is correct and "a consequential" is correct but I can't explain why other than they sound correct. I'm not good with identifying the parts of speech, but the words "historic" and "consequential" seem like the same type of word, yet one goes with "an" and the other with "a" which bothers me. I should probably learn this stuff more formally.

According to Merriam-Webster they are both correct. It's just what sounds better to the ear of the person using it. But I am with you, I think "an historic" sounds better.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/is-it-a-or-an#:~:text=Some%20people%20feel%20strongly%20that,%27%2C%20not%20%27a%27.&text=The%20rule%20that%20many%20people,word%20begins%20with%20a%20vowel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom