What to do with butcher block surface?

brewer12345

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
As part of our kitchen reno, we got a "floating island" (on wheels) taht has a maple butcher block top. I will not be cutting stuff directly on the surface (cutting board), so I need to seal it to keep it from being stained. What do I need and how do I do it?

There's a special sealer you can buy, but senility has set in and I can't think of it............

Any local ACE hardware or family-run hardware places around? They would know..........

My dad used to use linseed oil for EVERYTHING............ :LOL: :LOL:

So what do I do with the oil? Paint it on and let it dry and that's it? Any need to re-apply or do several coats?

brewer12345 said:
So what do I do with the oil? Paint it on and let it dry and that's it? Any need to re-apply or do several coats?
Well, if you're never going to cut food on it then you could do anything you wanted-- stain it, finish it with a heavy marine-grade varnish, even glue a piece of Plexiglas on top.

But food work requires a non-toxic finish that won't flavor or stink up the food, and Jasco makes a "Butcher Block Oil" out of food-grade mineral oil. (http://www.Jasco-Help.com) We bought eight ounces at Home Depot a couple years ago and still have about six ounces left. You wipe it on with a cloth, let it dry for a few minutes, add as many coats as you want until it doesn't improve any further, and refresh it whenever it looks worn out.

Thanks, guys. Somehow I knew that I would get a response from experience.

brewer12345 said:
Thanks, guys. Somehow I knew that I would get a response from experience.
You're welcome-- post the new kitchen pictures when it's done!

Why not use the butcher's block? As a serious home cook I use mine all the time and it's a great cooking surface (for things other that poultry)

saluki9 said:
Why not use the butcher's block? As a serious home cook I use mine all the time and it's a great cooking surface (for things other that poultry)

$10k on cabinets and over $20k on the kitchen overall and you want me to attack teh surface with a knife?! Uh-uh. I will use a $10 cutting board, thanks all the same.

brewer12345 said:
$10k on cabinets and over $20k on the kitchen overall and you want me to attack teh surface with a knife?! Uh-uh. I will use a $10 cutting board, thanks all the same.

Come on now Brewer, don't be one of those people who buys a fast car and never takes it to the track! :LOL:

My butchers block is over 20 years old, gets cut on every day, and shows little if any wear. That's why you keep it oiled.

Enjoy the new kitchen

brewer12345 said:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Those butcher blocks are tough............remember they make BOWLING ALLEYS out of hard maple, so how tough can the knife be? Not the same as dropping a 16 pound ball on it for 30 years............... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

FinanceDude said:
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Those butcher blocks are tough............remember they make BOWLING ALLEYS out of hard maple, so how tough can the knife be? Not the same as dropping a 16 pound ball on it for 30 years............... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I know, I'm just having fun with Brewer, I don't mean to offend anybody. My point was similar in that there is a reason it's called butcher's block and not plumber's block, or jewler's block. You can take an f'ing cleaver to it 12 hours a day for 30 years and it will hold up.

Speaking of which, if you can find an old bowling alley that's being demolished, those floors make great surfaces for workbenches. I have a friend who got one and I'm very jealous.

saluki9 said:
I know, I'm just having fun with Brewer, I don't mean to offend anybody. My point was similar in that there is a reason it's called butcher's block and not plumber's block, or jewler's block. You can take an f'ing cleaver to it 12 hours a day for 30 years and it will hold up.

Yeah, I know that, but I still cannot bring myself to do so.

brewer12345 said:
Yeah, I know that, but I still cannot bring myself to do so.

The "newness" of your purchase will wear off as soon as soon as you get the first scratch in the cabinets............ :p :p

It's a good investment for the value of your house. I toured a house last week around here where they spent $120,000 on their KITCHEN.............and the folks aren't even chefs or anything........... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I use Parker and Bailey Butcher Block Oil. It's probably just mineral oil. You or someone will probably use it at some point, so I'd recommend a food-friendly product like that.

And cut it, man!

Back
Top Bottom