When it rains it pours...

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The nice thing about being retired is you have time to do things you enjoy like gardening. Well I decided to edge and mulch the bed next to the street side of the house. When i work i keep a camping chair nearby. Work sit, work sit. Well the job was done I was admiring my work when i noticed a bulge on the second floor stucco. I went through this 2 years ago $7,000. The builder used foam rather then plywood on the exterior. 30 years later it needs to be repaired. The same crew is coming for an estimate in a week.

The Mrs noticed termites in a tree by the garage and sprayed them. A hour or 2 later I’m sitting out working on the aforementioned edge. When hear the Mrs say “Ray you better come look at this” (words ive come to dread) 4 termites allegedly came out of a light switch in the front of the house. The A+ better business bureau exterminators are coming tomorrow afternoon.

The pool is gone but because of the rain the hole remains. Hell get to it over the next few days. (The buldge isnt visible to the camera. )

Now the 12 year old furnace that needed a $7k replacement a couple months ago is still on my mind.

Couple all this with my stomach poisoning last night and I’d be tempted to complain but i wont. Sometimes stuff happens and you have to laugh... “when it rains it pours”

The dog and I are sitting outside and the sun is shining and its going to be a beautiful day.. stuff happens. IMG_0339.jpg

Last edited:
Misery loves company right?

March 1st and all was well for me. I was skiing the awesome snow and my non-ski days were spent getting my Motorhome ready for my spring trip.

After a day of skiing, my jeep was stuck in the icy parking lot. Some guys came over and we tried to push the jeep backwards and into the less icy driveway. Since the car was on ice, our feet were also on ice and my feet were slipping as I tried to push. So, I grabbed under the car so I could lift and push.

A few minutes of this and I ruptured my bicep tendon at the elbow. Surgery and treatment blew through my $7K deductible.

But wait, there's more!

The injury caused my spring RV trip to be cancelled. After my surgery, I needed to move my motorhome at the request of the outdoor storage facility. We had a great ski season that has made the valley's very wet. And my RV is parked on gravel that has become very muddy and the facility wanted to do some repair.

I tried to back the RV out from the lot and could not. The front wheels were sunk about 6 inches into the rocky, muddy mess. The rear tires, the drive axle tires, were fine and sitting on dry dirt and gravel.

I tried to drive the RV forward and then backwards. After a few minutes of this, I somehow destroyed the differential. The pinions gear teeth broke and then the ring gear shattered.

Now, I had to pay $1K for a tow to a repair facility and then $6K to have a new differential installed.

What is with all these $7K charges?

Group therapy thread:confused:

Termites and remediation last month ~$1K + quarterly retreat charges (may DIY later - not now) :(

Water heater last week ~$1.5 K :(

Roof this fall ~$10K :(

But I'm about to head out on a chartered fishing boat with DS. It's sunny, 75 degrees and calm. :dance::dance:

OMG, my heart goes out to you. Complaining is a necessary and valuable outlet. I hate how everything happens at once. The universe must decide life has been good for too long...time for a change. Stay positive. My mom used to say bad luck comes in 3's, but you're on 5 bad things. Good things should start happening soon.

I'm so sorry. I hate spending money on stuff like this, but always try to remind myself how lucky to be able to have that money to spend. Been down that termite path....

And, I'm sitting here waiting on the 5th HVAC estimate for new furnace, AC, and maybe water heater. The joys of home ownership!

Keep us posted on the termites. They are evil little ba$tards.

Great thread for us to commiserate in. I was just feeling overwhelmed on Sunday. Since November:

-Ice storm took out most of pine tree in backyard and half the branches on the pine tree directly next to it. Still chainsawing and cleaning it up.
-Dishwasher stopped working. Previous home owner put new flooring down on top of old and boxed dishwasher in.
-Basement flooded Saturday morning, two inches of standing water. Got the sewer line snaked yesterday and am now in the process of cleaning up a
carpeted storage room.
-Father was diagnosed with cancer in February.
-Son has bad back and quit job.
-Daughter was hospitalized with depression.

I'm chugging along, trying to take care of things, but they're coming at me faster than I can accomplish right now. This too shall pass.

CK, wow that’s a lot of bad things happening all at once. Don’t forget to take care of yourself too. It’s important in times of stress.

Misery love company I guess; Reading your post and I feel like I am not alone.. stuff happens

Misery love company I guess; Reading your post and I feel like I am not alone.. stuff happens
Ray,

It was somewhat therapeutic to type it out. Kind of gave some boundaries to it.
I've been enjoying all of your Florida write-ups and sharing of experiences. Thanks!

Well, it is raining here, but no bad news to report. Being retired has so many positives, such as spending 5 hours working in the yard on a Monday and sitting out on Tuesday enjoying the rain. Life is so, so good.

Nonetheless, I feel your pain Rayinpenn. We have spent close to $10K dealing with stuff with the new house. We also have a stand of 6 oak trees that have to come down and a main line from the well is leaking, so that'll be at least a couple more grand. :( 20190423_103832.jpg

Oh well....suppose to be good brand.

I'm in the process of replacing the heat pump at my condo. Going with a Trane. Also in the process of undergoing a dental implant. One tooth cost roughly the same as the heat pump. Somewhat of a chapper. :(

Misery loves company right?

My misery is self induced. It started with a decision to paint the house exterior. After the job was finished, the contractor left us ton of leftover paints. We decided to paint interior walls of the garage ourselves using the leftover paint. That spread to painting all the doors, kitchen island, .... With the new paint job, the garage looked so pretty that I've decided to rebuild work bench, build a new storage against the wall, paint other garage furniture, .... Then the shed needed to be painted as its walls were rusted. So did the light fixtures on four exterior walls. They needed to be sanded & painted (of course). The fire bell screamed to be painted whose red color has faded to pinkish white. Sometimes, I toiled until two AM to work on these chores. As I write this, I am planning in my head to build more storage bins. Of course, to do many of these tasks, I had to build a miniature work bench, and circular chainsaw guide. What started out as a $3000+ paint job spread to a month long self induced labor of love. Did I just get myself a new hobby?

Last edited:
It is always something. Lol If not a vehicle it is something for the house that needs to be done. I have an older truck that I use for everything from ranching to all my outdoor activities. I have 1000$ in repairs since spring just fixing things that have wore out. Still a lot cheaper then a new one. I have some a repair job on my home that I already have talked to a contractor on. He will schedule me in before winter. I hate these expenses but at least I can pay for them. Just got done with the dentist and that was 600$. Lol

Yep. So far in 2019:

- Root canal & crown, $2,300
- Replace roof due to hail damage, $6,800 deductible. (Total amt of loss was $29,000)

No way I'm going to be able to stay within my target spending this year...

Roof again? Didn’t you have it replaced not long ago?

Dang. Gotta go to Vancouver and then Alaska. We'll do the roof later!
Did two hvac systems, one hot water. Had the termites, and too many years of travel soccer. Timr for us.

Yep, just under 5 years ago. This will be the 4th roof on our house since we built it in 1998. :(
Bummer. That eclipses most of the items on your list of reasons to not move to Texas.

Well you are still retired. Got to count for something.

Back
Top Bottom