Who Is/Was The Person Who Inspired You the Most??

FinanceDude

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
For me, it was my grandfather. He was a salt of the earth farmer, who worked hard for everything he ever got.

He had about 80 acres of farmland, and used to raise soybeans and corn in alternating years. In the early 70's, the soybean priced went to the roof, and he just happened to plant soybeans because it was the rotation crop.

Some big agribusiness offered him stupid money to sell everything, and he took it. He retired in Naples, Florida, and lived his final years enjoying life, and doing all the things he never had the chance to do because he was working a farm.

In general, and in the long term, my spouse. Marrying me was the smartest decision she ever made for my future, although at the time apparently she was the only one who could perceive the hidden intrinsic value in her investment.

In one specific case, my father for asking the questions: "Why would you want to get a job after you retire from the Navy? Were you guys able to save any money over the last 20 years?"

My response was pretty much "D'oh!", and then I started the FIRE research...

My grandfather (papa).

Both of his parents died when he was a boy. A farmer "adopted" him and put him to work in the fields. When he turned 18, he was given a mule and $20 and told to go and make a life for himself. A few years later, he married and had 6 children.

He put food on the table and a roof over their heads by fixing and selling things that people had thrown away. In his later years he and my granny lived in a 4 room house with a yard big enough for a garden. He would sell the vegetables in town by peddling them from a wheelbarrow. I never remember a day that my papa was not happy. He once told me that success was all around me...all I had to do was open my eyes.

He died peacefully at the age of 94.

When times are tough, I think of him and smile. Maybe there is some of him in me.

I've had a couple - first was my Dad who taught me how to succeed. Whenever I had a goal, he would say, "Great! Now go research everything you need to do to reach that goal. Then come back and let's talk."

I'd do it, come back, and we'd talk. At that point, he made it clear I now had the path and needed to follow it to reach my goal, but that he would support me along the way and if there were some areas where I needed his help that he would try his best to help me (help myself). That coupled with my martial arts experience has shown that I can accomplish anything I set my mind to.

Secondly, my wife. She is the person who has inspired my spiritual path. Prior to meeting her, I can't say I was spiritually inclined. Granted, I was a good person and practiced some spiritual concepts already, but the word "spiritual" never crossed my mind. In this area, she has both challenged me and inspired me, and I'm starting to find ways to integrate my spiritual direction with FIRE.

i'm too lazy to be inspired, but there were three people who i most admired. my partner, my best friend and my mom.

my partner lived a life of adventure though died in his thrill-seeking. my best friend lived life to its potential but died celebrating his own success. my mom lived life happy even though hard times. i admire her most of all because she exemplified what i think is one of the most important lessons in life: that we decide how we experience what we experience.

life took them all too soon.

I would have to agree with Nords, my wife of over 20 years has been my stability. She has been behind many of my decisions during our time together.

She helps me understand why I do , what I do when I do IT!

My inspiration came from a group rather than an individual. If I had to pinpoint one person, it might be Scott Burns, who led me to Philip Cooley, Daniel Walz and Carl Hubbard. When I read the Trinity Study in 1998, it helped me understand what it would take to FIRE and that I was within striking distance.

Actually two people.....my Grandad & my Dad. Both of them taught me that life is what you make it...Good or Bad! Both of them lived through the depression and knew how to live on a shoe string, but not do without. (LBYM) My Grandad had a sixth grade education, but never quit learning. He could sit down and carry on an intelligent conversation on just about any subject, with just about anyone. (hence my love of books and documentaries)

From them I learned masonery/concrete work, auto repair, plumbing, carpentry, welding & iron work, roofing, electrical installation/repair, electronics (my hard earned cash VERY seldom goes into the pocket of a contractor! :D ), horticulture, love of music, how to make the perfect slow cooked barbeque (in a very large, outdoor brick oven)....(and how to rock the neighborhood with a pint of gasoline and an Ohio Blue Tip match....lighting said oven!!!), the "medicinal" value of a smooth bourbon (and how to produce that smooth bourbon in a home-built still...just like they used to make the hooch that created their household income during the depression in Missouri and put food on their table...and that of my uncle's), how to drive (Grandad's '63 Chevy PU when I was 8, and his deuce and half flatbeds when I was 12).

Also learned from them that if I spend it, I can't save it....&...if I can't afford, I shouldn't buy it.

Grandad bought me my first train set....which has grown into my lifelong hobby! :D

Most importantly they taught me that I have 2 ears and only mouth....so I should normally listen much more than I talk. And that I should listen intently to those that have more knowledge and understanding than I do....Therefore, I "listen" on this forum a whole lot more than I "talk"!!! ;)

My parents.

My father taught me the importance of understanding your finances. He also taught me that people will judge you by your shoes and your watch. And though that may sound silly, I was offered every job I ever applied for following this advice. I still wear his watch to this day. He was a great man that died too young at 62.

My mother taught me to be a great human. She lead by example. After she came to the U.S. she spent her entire career as nurse. She had people skills that would boggle your mind. A wonderful and beautiful woman that was robbed of her golden years by a massive heart attack at 67.

No wonder I FIRE'd at 35 eh?

Inspired? That's tough, and this may seem odd, but I somehow convinced myself at an early age that emulation and idolatry were signs of weakness. I'm not sure where I got it from, but the *idea* of pioneering one's own path is what inspired me most -- the idea that there were plenty of untaken roads that needed to be explored.

But I did *admire* those who blazed their own trails and made significant contributions. Guys like Bertrand Russell, and just about any Renaissance Man.

Eventually, I learned to embrace my own mediocrity, and now just about everybody and everything inspires me. Card tricks. Good omelettes. I'm easily amused.

I'd point to three people, actually: ESRBob, Tioga George, and Dad.

ESRBob: Helped me realize that there are other routes besides an Intercst-style total retirement. Props to the "godfather of ER", but I think ESRBob's take on things is healthier for me both in the full time work/accumulation phase, and in the "afterlife" of FIRE.

Tioga George: I am inspired by his outlook on life. I'm not a fundamentally positive person and I don't have a naturally sunny outlook. I have a real hard time living in the moment and not obsessively planning. George seems to have been in much the same trap and found a way out of it by remaking himself. I'm not sure exactly how he did it, but I take it as a great inspiration.

Dad: Dad went from nothing to owning a majority of a multi-million dollar business, mostly due to hard work. He lost the business in the early 90s recession (went BK then), but was frugal enough to squirrel away enough capital over the years that he never lost the houses, cars, etc. and has gone on to rebuild his net worth in a new venture. I don't think I'd care for such a topsy-turvy ride and I hope I have more interests in life when I hang up my spurs, but Dad's hard work, business sense, frugality and entrepreneurial spirit are guideposts for me.

brewer12345 said:
I'm not a fundamentally positive person and I don't have a naturally sunny outlook.

Not that we would have ever suspected this by reading your posts... :LOL:
Uh oh...INCOMING!!!!
img_461959_0_46b4f18fc9999b6a39164c22f0e6f18e.gif

REWahoo! said:
Not that we would have ever suspected this by reading your posts... :LOL:
Uh oh...INCOMING!!!!
img_462007_0_46b4f18fc9999b6a39164c22f0e6f18e.gif

Honesty is not to be overrated............... ;) That's why we need brewer on here.........we ALL need a little brutal reality from time to time........... :LOL: :LOL:

FinanceDude said:
Honesty is not to be overrated............... ;) That's why we need brewer on here.........we ALL need a little brutal reality from time to time........... :LOL: :LOL:

Happy to supply the brutal. Not so sure about that "reality" stuff...

brewer12345 said:
Happy to supply the brutal. Not so sure about that "reality" stuff...

Like I tell my clients, I provide: "Checks drawn on the bank of reality daily"........... :LOL: :LOL:

1. My grandfather. A self-made man, with only a high school education, who eventually started his own business and retired comfortably in his late 50's. He was extremely honest, always tried to do the right thing, was generous to his family and always had friends around. I aspire to be more like him.

2. An anonymous ER'd fellow I met in my early 20's. It hadn't occurred to me that it was even an option until then.

3. Many of the posters on this forum. Too many to list individually, but you inspire me on a near-daily basis.

Back
Top Bottom