Why not drive a Tesla?

gcgang

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just test drove a Tesla. I'm wow'ed!

Acceleration is unbelievable. Huge display screen. No shifting, just let your foot off "gas" and it slows. Quiet. Handles great. For service, the mechanic comes to you.

Maybe this is what I should do with the portfolio windfall of the last few years.

So, if cost were not an issue, why wouldn't you drive a Tesla?

Anyone here have one?

I've never been a car lover. Far from it. Just wanted value and reliability.

But if cost wasn't an issue I'm totally agreeing with you. I'd own a Tesla. Love them.

I would need an outlet to plug it into. My condo building doesn't have them. If demand rises, we may instal the outlets (probably requiring a resolution at the AGM and a special assessment). After that, if the price was right, and if I was in need of a new vehicle, and if it met my needs, sure, I would buy a Tesla.

Nothing against Tesla specifically but I have a "negative" :) interest in any electric cars. I don't even use an electric weed eater. But hey, "don't blow a fuse" :), if that's what you get a "charge out of" :), go for it.

Internal combustion for me.

Last edited:
IIRC clifp has a Tesla.

I'm in the same boat as Meadbh. Our condo does not have a charging station even though there is a law on the books that all parking lots in Hawaii beyond a certain size must have one. Of course, there is no provision for enforcement.

In any case, I would kind of like to own a Tesla though it makes no sense financially. The technology (not to mention the acceleration) is way cool. YMMV

Not trendy enough for me.

1) Nearest service center is 3 hours away. I'm not sure how well the mobile service ranger program would really work for me.

2) Range is another issue. I don't want to wait for a 30 minute charge every 3 or so hours on a long drive. I also just don't like the idea of limited supercharger stations and the prospect that I might have to wait for an open plug. I don't know how often that happens, and I could probably change my trip habits if that was the only drawback, but it kind of has the feeling of driving a gas car knowing that there are very few gas stations along the way.

In 5-10 years I can see the service issues being reduced, more charging stations going up, and my long distance driving trips being reduced, and then a Tesla could definitely be in the picture.

No interest in a car that I have to rely on the dealer to much service work. Prefer to do my own work or use local, reasonably priced mechanics. A secondary issue is I keep cars a long time (last one 21 years) and I don't expect Tesla will prevail as a car company. Yes as a solar panel manufacturer and maybe even a space company, but their car company needs to start showing regular profits before I'd personally consider one.

I have a Model 3 on order. My friends have two Tesla Model S cars and they both love them. I've driven the Model S several times and immediately lost interest in ever owning any other car than a Tesla.

I have used the semi-autonomous driving to drive up the 405 freeway in LA and it works flawlessly. The carpool lane sticker is a huge bonus, as is the tax credit.

But most importantly, it's amazing to drive. I can't really justify spending $100K on one, but I'll gladly pay for my Model 3 when it's ready for me.

I appreciate the technology and the performance, not the range limitations, but I'm with Car-Guy: internal combustion for me.

Well, if price was not an issue, that means I have that $100 mill I needed to hire a FA....

A Tesla would be one of the many cars in my stable... I am sure I would drive it around for short trips, but would never consider it for a long trip...

For some reason they annoy me ... such a blatant techno-geek status symbol, at least around here. I'll stick with my retro analog 1986 Porsche 911.

I agree, they are great. My friend has had one for 2 years now, he loves it, zero maintenance. He does sales across 5 states, he has figured out how to work charging into his lunch breaks and they have done a few multi state trips..he says with a child, you have to stop every few hours anyway, so not really a hassle.

Now I thought they said they were going to start charging for charges, not sure what that will run. I also know insurance companies hadn't figured out how to price it really yet, so I think they were getting a bargain. as while there is really not as many things that can go wrong, with all the sensors built into the bumpers, an accident (which he had one) requires special electric skills to make sure everything is working again.

now there is the concern Tesla S got hacked and with all its fancy features, it could become a security/safety issue... though other cars may have this same issue.

And of course if your married, you can't just buy 1. My friend tried that.. and the wife is hinting REALLY hard that when her car is replaced, it would need to be equal to her husbands. I did try to help him out though as I mentioned their son is only 2 years away from his drivers license so they may want to have a car for him to drive thats not a Tesla... one that you can take places where door dings are likely to occur.

Range is the main reason in my mind. Very minimal maintenance required which is a big plus in my book. I have a reservation for a Model 3.

.......... Very minimal maintenance required which is a big plus in my book.............
Good point. These yearly oil changes are killing me.

If you're a two (or more) car household - why the range worry?

I'd love a tesla. I just haven't quite gotten past the sticker shock.

I have a model s 85d and a model 3 on order for my daughter

I'm not a car guy either but there is nothing like a tesla

Range is never an issue. Every morning you leave with a full tank and I get 275 miles of range. There are superchargers everywhere and you get about 80 percent charge in about 40 minutes

The autopilot is amazing on highways, not so good on side streets

I have over 50k miles in two years.

I am completely convinced that all cars will go electric in the future

Will never go back to gas

Yes that is my rationale for the Model 3. We have more than one car and the truth is that the Model 3's range is going to get the job done for all but exceptional drives.

To me maintenance includes everything that eventually needs to be replaced such as brakes and the many possibilities in ICE engines. And if you are only driving enough to require one service a year then you are in good shape. We put a lot of miles on our vehicles. That said, I have been very impressed with how infrequently our Honda Odyssey tells us to get it serviced. OTOH the service interval on our Hyundai Elantra is regressive.

So, if cost were not an issue, why wouldn't you drive a Tesla?

I just checked Edmunds dot com, and it said I could get the bare bones sedan for $79,900. That's a lot less than I thought. The bare bones SUV is more appealing and costs $94,200. With my trade in, I'd only have to come up with $83K. ;) I could do that if I wanted it enough to justify that to myself.

Before reading my post, remember that I have been looking for a car, ANY car that appeals to me for quite some time. I just haven't found anything that floats my boat. That said, here goes:

My guess is that the first time I parked it in a parking lot, it would be thoroughly keyed if not worse. People key luxury cars that wouldn't key a Toyota.

The sedan looks hard to get in and out of, given my age and arthritis. The SUV might be better, but for some reason the interior of that model looks small and cramped in the photos. Plus, the back doors opening upwards? :rolleyes: oh spare me...

Both models look stupid and pompous to me (probably not to most people though).

I'd MUCH rather have a gasoline powered vehicle.

No thanks. Apparently it's not for me, because I just don't want one! But if you want it, have at it. :)

Last edited:
I just checked Edmunds dot com, and it said I could get the bare bones sedan for $79,900. That's a lot less than I thought. The bare bones SUV is more appealing and costs $94,200. ..........
Part of the appeal of a Tesla or any distinctive, expensive car is the fact that it makes a statement. Similar to the way people prefer the distinctive styling of a Prius over, say, a Camry hybrid.

I never spent more than 35000 on a car until the tesla. Spent 105000 on mine with lots of options.

95 percent of tesla owners buy another one which is higher than any other vehicle.

I never had so much fun in a car

Worth every penny

Back
Top Bottom