Why Wine?

Why wine? :cool: Why eat steak/shrimp, when peanut butter and day-old bread will serve to feed me? Why breathe? :D

Objectively, we spend way too much on this--a bigger budget category than food or, in most years to date, even vacations. Built a cellar when I redid our present house, and am glad that I limited its capacity to 1200 bottles (as George Carlin noted in a different context, you will fill up what you have!).

But, 95% of our meals together (evening is our only joint meal most days), we linger over the bottle and turn a chicken breast and salad (for example) into a 90 minute chat session. And, as I noted on the restaurant thread, being able to bring your own "$35" pinot to a restaurant when the same vintage is on the menu for $125 is kind of cool.

DW is diligent about taking notes on the hang tags as the cases age, watching how the wine changes (both on the racks and in the glass), and what it should pair well with for now. It has become an avid hobby for her, so even if I wanted to cut it off, I'd fail.

To each their own. We drive Hondas into the ground and wear our clothes until they have unfixable holes in them, which helps to offset this enjoyable extravagance. But, if push comes to shove (particularly after we retire), we recognize that it is indeed an extravagance....

Why wine? :cool: Why eat steak/shrimp, when peanut butter and day-old bread will serve to feed me? Why breathe? :D

+ 1000. If I had wanted to live as absolutely cheaply as possible, I would have just tried welfare right out of highschool instead of bothering with study and work for years. I want to live as cheaply as I need to, and no more cheaply than that. Because in general, more money brings more quality, or convenience, or style or something that many people want.

Else, it would not cost more. Unless one is unusually narcissistic, he realizes that overall his judgments are not likely to be way better than others'.

Ha

Why wine? :cool: Why eat steak/shrimp, when peanut butter and day-old bread will serve to feed me? Why breathe? ....

Because I enjoyed steak and shrimp the first time I ever tasted them and didn't need to take a class to learn to enjoy them. I'm sure with enough practice I could learn to savor all manner of foul and bitter concoctions, but once I'd managed this feat I'd prefer not to pay dearly for the privilege.

Pretty much the only wine I drink comes out of a box and so far I can't tell a significant difference with pricier wines. But no way am I spending more than $20 at most on a bottle, and that for a special gift, so I guess I never went pricy enough.

DW and I drink wine from a box and we have found a few sub-$10 bottles that we also like. Between that and the bottles we receive from friends when we host our annual holiday party we are able to have wine with dinner nearly every night without breaking the budget. It helps that one glass a piece is plenty for us, a wild night with friends might result in two glasses being drunk.

We've tried pricier wines with friends and, though I can say that they are (sometimes) better than what we drink, the cost/benefit ratio for my palate doesn't look favorable for more than $10/bottle.

Because I enjoyed steak and shrimp the first time I ever tasted them and didn't need to take a class to learn to enjoy them. I'm sure with enough practice I could learn to savor all manner of foul and bitter concoctions, but once I'd managed this feat I'd prefer not to pay dearly for the privilege.

You just haven't had the really expensive steaks and shrimp to know what's good and what's not. Like investment management, wine, steak and shrimp are all better when they cost more.

/sarcasm for the inattentive.

I generally won't spend more than $20 for a bottle of wine. It would have to be something really special (like a purchase on site at some wonderful vineyard) for me to fork out more. Like some others here, I have come around to the box wines for personal consumption. I like Black Box Pinot Noir and Bota Box Old Vine Zinfandel. We are talking PA State Stores here so I'm sure more varied selections are available elsewhere. When I have guests, though, I open a bottle.

I don't consider myself to have a sophisticated palate, but I do know what I like. And after numerous years of enjoying various wines, especially in wine country here in California, my taste seems to settle on reds in the $30-$50 price range, most notably Dry Creek Valley Zinfandel.

Do I sometimes buy a cheaper wine, like a St. Francis Old Vine Zin on sale at CVS for $18? Yep. Do I sometimes buy $100+ bottles of something really nice for extra-special events? Yep.

But my sweet spot seems to be in the $30 - $50 range, and there are a lot of outstanding wines in that price range. More than I could ever truly appreciate.

Nothing wrong with that. But you have no indulgences of any kind?

Sense of taste varies dramatically from person to person, some people have astonishingly acute "taste buds." Some people can easily discern between wines (I'm not particularly good at it), if they take a class it's often to further their knowledge, not to learn to enjoy them in the first place.

I generally won't spend more than $20 for a bottle of wine. It would have to be something really special (like a purchase on site at some wonderful vineyard) for me to fork out more. Like some others here, I have come around to the box wines for personal consumption. I like Black Box Pinot Noir and Bota Box Old Vine Zinfandel. We are talking PA State Stores here so I'm sure more varied selections are available elsewhere. When I have guests, though, I open a bottle.

+1 Bota Box Old vine Zin, also Twisted OVZ.

dj wine.jpg

1 Timothy 5:23

New International Version

"Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses."

It's something my wife and I enjoy and enjoy sharing with friends. We like tasting trips, we enjoy pairings and trying a bunch of different stuff. I may go to Somm school in retirement, who knows? Anyway, we like it and we spend some money on it and enjoy it at home so we don't have to spend when we're out.

We have a wide range of wine at home amongst the eight cases in storage, from under $10 to ~$75 at the high end. I think there's sometimes a marked difference between the $8 bottle and the $15, but between $15 and $35? Not usually. We aim for the sweet spot, and when we find the $8 bottle that drinks like a $20+, we stock up.

I've never taken a class, but I can distinguish varietals by look, mouth feel, and even tasting in the Central Coast region of California (where we get most of our stuff). It's not hard, it just takes practice.... and practicing is fun for us!

I also like wine for the purported anti-oxidant and heart-healthy properties. Lower in calories than beer, so if I'm going to have a drink, it's usually wine.

Last edited:
IMHO a glass of good wine greatly enhances a meal. Good wine does not have to be expensive.

Both of these are true, in my opinion, and becoming less true for beer as well. Rarely do I accompany beer with certain food, though I have done a beer and cheese tasting. Left a little to be desired compared to a similar wine and cheese tasting. I presently have a $26 22oz bottle of 2014 Abyss (Descheutes) sitting on the counter that I picked up for a friend when I saw it on a shelf (rare find). I'd never pay that much for a beer, and Abyss isn't my taste, but to each their own... it's certainly not enhancing any meals anytime soon!

1 Timothy 5:23

New International Version

"Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses."

I used to enjoy Black Box wine (more than I should have the year after DW died) but now wine does not agree with my stomach, so its mostly beer for me.

We have a wide range of wine at home amongst the eight cases in storage, from under $10 to ~$75 at the high end. I think there's sometimes a marked difference between the $8 bottle and the $15, but between $15 and $35? Not usually. We aim for the sweet spot, and when we find the $8 bottle that drinks like a $20+, we stock up.
I'm enjoying this thread. Most of the wine we drink is in the $6 to $9 range. But now I'm wondering if we are missing something. So I'm going to step it up into the big time $10 to $15 range.

We live in wine country (Sonoma County) and have a wine cellar which holds 100 cases. That was done by the original owner of our house. We've gone to many wineries to do oil painting out in the vineyards. Wonderful way to enjoy wineries. Best to do a tasting afterwords as the painting gets worse with the boose.

Why wine? Because nothing enhances the experience of a good meal like a bottle of wine. The young wife is a fantastic cook, and we have a kitchen that allows her to exercise the full range of her talents. Every night, we set the formal dining room table, eat great food and drink a good bottle of wine. We play a little background music on the stereo and just talk to each other. It is one of the joys of our life together.

I generally buy wines in the $15-25 per bottle range - a little more for the reds, a little less for the whites. For a special occasion, we'll go for something more expensive. We almost certainly spend more on food and wine than most here. But the whole reason we worked and saved so hard was to be able to enjoy life. We can afford it, and if we ever have to cut back financially, there are many other things I would prefer to scrimp on.

Gumby, you sound like you are having lots of fun with the wine and food. But a bottle a night is a lot of calories. Maybe not so good for one's health?

I try to keep it to one glass (sometimes a large glass) per night. Unfortunately it seems that glass gets emptied all too soon. :(

My father-in-law knew a good bit about wines and food. He inculcated his enthusiasm in my wife, who has kept us in good spirits, so to speak. We have wine with over half of our meals (doesn't go well with Cheerios...), all red because we like that over white. Tonight we had a bottle of 2011 Rothschilds Bordeaux (sounds more expensive that it was) with our Panera sandwich-n-soup - nice.

We like to cruise, and we did Celebrity's inaugural wine cruise out of Southampton a few years ago. We hit every French, Spanish, and Portuguese port on the Atlantic from which you could reach wineries, really neat. Bordeaux and Cognac in France, La Guardia in Spain (Bai Gorri - winery looked like something out of a James Bond movie), Duroro Valley (port wines) in Portugal. Learned a lot about wine production, and drank some good wines. We brought back some wines we couldn't get in the States...

I'm still w*rking, so we're enjoying this while we can. Even then, we will be able to drink in the $15-30/bottle range on the retirement budget. And what we've found is that there's a lot of really good wine in that price range...

a bottle a night is a lot of calories. (

Yes, it is. About 300 calories for each of us. That's why, when we want to lose some weight, we have to stop drinking wine for a bit.

I have tried for years to like wine. And I have many friends who like it. I just don't like it very much. I don't understand the appeal or how/why it enhances the food experience for many, but I happily accept the fact that different people have different tastes. After all, I relish my black coffee everyday . . .

I enjoy wine occasionally, I do not understand "the art" of wine drinking, but I respect it. I do personally, however, have 3 strict requirements when drinking it. 1) Riesling or Vignoles 2) under $12 ($20 restaurant) with minimum 12% kick to it 3) Drink it all before dinner is ordered or served.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have tried for years to like wine. And I have many friends who like it. I just don't like it very much. I don't understand the appeal or how/why it enhances the food experience for many, but I happily accept the fact that different people have different tastes. After all, I relish my black coffee everyday . . .
I understand that in terms of health benefits (if any) one glass of wine or the equivalent in beer is just as good.

I love coffee too, strong black with a bit of sugar.

I love wine. One of my favorite indulgences. I am dieting now and need to lose weight. Haven't had a glass in 3weeks and I lost 12 pounds. Perhaps I need to cut back on the wine?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I love wine. One of my favorite indulgences. I am dieting now and need to lose weight. Haven't had a glass in 3weeks and I lost 12 pounds. Perhaps I need to cut back on the wine?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Now that is going too far! When her patients/co-workers ask about her workouts, DW says "I run for Wine and Chocolate." :)

Back
Top Bottom