Why would a bot want to know?

redduck

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
What was your earliest memory of life?:

Why would a bot's owner/creator want to gather this information?

edited: to make question more understandable.
edited again: same reason as initial edit.

Last edited:
What was your earliest memory of life?

Does anybody here have any idea (a guess would suffice) why someone would create a bot to ask a question about an earliest memory?

They were hoping I would tell them my earliest thought of how I would save social security. But I didn't bite.

With all this talk about AI software that can drive a car and soon will threaten humanity, don't you think that a piece of software has reached self-awareness and consciousness to think of asking the question, any existential question, all by itself?

That bot has been blocked out, so unfortunately cannot share what it is thinking, but most likely has been pondering the existence of God too.

Most likely, being as smart and fast as a computer is, it probably has already reached the answer: 42.

Last edited:
Good timing as airing on CBS in about an hour from now, there's a program about in Japan where they want to have human bots co-exist with people. Kinda like real life "Westworld".

IMO, as long as we can power off the bots, nothing to fear. When the day comes where bots get their "life" from air and can build themselves, look out :(.

Sneak peek on the program tonight ...

CBS This Morning Video - Sneak peek of "CBSN: On Assignment" - CBS.com

Maybe we're all bots.

This begs the next question: not all bots are equal, and how does one tell?

Some are superior, and can detect and block out the inferior ones. Not all bots are equal. Never were, never will.

I wonder what the forum administrator used to detect this low life. He will not share the info though, because that would help more 2nd class bots evade the test.

Last edited:

Looking for real memories to make the bot more human for posting on forums??:blush: They now know that humans sometimes have ear hair too!

With all this talk about AI software that can drive a car and soon will threaten humanity, don't you think that a piece of software has reached self-awareness and consciousness to think of asking the question, any existential question, all by itself?

That bot has been blocked out, so unfortunately cannot share what it is thinking, but most likely has been pondering the existence of God too.

Most likely, being as smart and fast as a computer is, it probably has already reached the answer: 42.

If I am not mistaken it took many millions of years for it to get that answer..... maybe someone with better memory can tell us...

Imagine if you could read but you didn't know the definition of the words. Having to look each up, and the words associated with the word.....(there was a question about recursive the other week), takes a long time. You need to build a dictionary of sorts, to build the knowledge. Logically you would ask silly questions while learning to build the knowledge base.

Last edited:

My earlier post still stands. It may be the bot's question, and not the bot owner/creator's. From what I read on the Web about how advanced AI is nowadays, that's possible, no? :rolleyes:

Looking for real memories to make the bot more human for posting on forums??:blush: They now know that humans sometimes have ear hair too!

Oh, humans can be hairier than that. When I was in Musée d'Orsay, stumbled across the controversial painting titled "Origine du Monde" (Origin of the World). :nonono: Forgot I read about it before. I took a shot of many famous paintings, particularly those from the Impressionism movement, but not that one. :nonono:

Last edited:
Imagine if you could read but you didn't know the definition of the words. Having to look each up, and the words associated with the word.....(there was a question about recursive the other week), takes a long time.

I resemble this remark. :)

Imagine if you could read but you didn't know the definition of the words. Having to look each up, and the words associated with the word.....(there was a question about recursive the other week), takes a long time. You need to build a dictionary of sorts, to build the knowledge. Logically you would ask silly questions while learning to build the knowledge base.

All dictionaries have are circular definitions anyway.

Can I toss you a Russian dictionary and expect you to learn to speak the language?

Fifty years ago Robert A. Heinlein's book The Moon is a Harsh Mistress was published, and Mike, the self aware computer, was a central character......Mike's protégés have likely come along way since then....(what's 50 in computer years BTW?)

To answer the original question, I suspect it was a learning exercise for the AI, or for its designers. One way a bot can learn how humans interact, as well as how to interact with humans, is to observe message exchanges in social media. This board, being among the more civil ones online, may be a reasonable place from which to learn some basic manners.

Lest I got misunderstood, I was being sarcastic.

I don't think anyone has built an AI machine that is that smart, all the hype in public statements notwithstanding, let alone some bots that try to break into this forum. :)

Can I toss you a Russian dictionary and expect you to learn to speak the language?
How did I learn English?

Joking aside I've used technical documentation that was organized in that fashion. It worked well, but the lexicon was limited.

Now could I take any language dictionary and teach myself the language? Sure. Would you understand me? Haha.

Lest I got misunderstood, I was being sarcastic.

I don't think anyone has built an AI machine that is that smart, all the hype in public statements notwithstanding, let alone some bots that try to break into this forum. :)
You are sure of that uh?

That is how I learned English. It is even more complicated.

As each word I looked up, had words in the explanation that had to be looked up, ad infinitum. Talk about going off an a tangent or three. By the time I looked up all the words of all the explanations, I forgot the the original word, unless I underlined it for reference.

BTW I do believe I am not a robot.:D

That is how I learned English. It is even more complicated.

As each word I looked up, had words in the explanation that had to be looked up, ad infinitum. Talk about going off an a tangent or three. By the time I looked up all the words of all the explanations, I forgot the the original word, unless I underlined it for reference.

BTW I do believe I am not a robot.:D
Awesome and and congratulations. That's an amazing task!

I understand the methodology as I had to use it for the technical documentation. One thing they suggested was having postits number 1-25 so you could find your way back up the chain. A full language would be intimidating at the very least.

I can read some cyrillic, had to learn russian in elementary school 4th grade on, mandatory language. Highly doubt anyone can learn russian from a dictionary, gotta have a teacher, even so the pronunciation can drive one buggy.

Highly doubt anyone can learn russian from a dictionary, gotta have a teacher, even so the pronunciation can drive one buggy.

We attempted, unsuccessfully, to learn a couple basic words in Czech, Hungarian, and Polish........Bulgarian*, where we'll be in the Fall, "Fuhgeddaboudit".

*"Hello", to our ears, will likely be a dozen unrelated consonants. :LOL:

To answer the original question, I suspect it was a learning exercise for the AI, or for its designers. One way a bot can learn how humans interact, as well as how to interact with humans, is to observe message exchanges in social media. This board, being among the more civil ones online, may be a reasonable place from which to learn some basic manners.

I also suspect Siri and Alexa, and whatever other listening/responding devices that on the market, as nothing more than input sources to create future equations, algorithms, and programming for AI. Think about all the information that is communicated during the day/night freely, and the thought processes that are observed. Big Sister is here.

There have been some significant progresses made in individual areas of AI such as expert systems, autonomous vehicle piloting, speech recognition, etc... These are individual tasks, which a computer can do very well, often better than a human. But these are just a more elevated form of automation, more sophistication levels from welding robots, or smart conveyor belts in production automation.

Even Watson, the IBM machine that won at Jeopardy was just a sophisticated database search algorithm. The question that it failed at tells more about the underlying software than the ones it could answer.

They still do not know how to teach a computer to think. They don't know how humans think.

All animals, even ones that are not self-aware, know about self-preservation. If a computer program ever achieves self-awareness, will it also worry about self-preservation? Will it worry about being terminated, getting infected by a virus, or its hardware turned off, its powerline cut-off. That's hard to do if that piece of software does not have the requisite sensory inputs to know the world around itself. :)

Then, will it worry about its RAM chips failing, its CPU getting flaky, its hard drives getting full? Is it going to reboot itself when necessary, write patches/updates for itself, or call in its programmer/creator for help?

Last edited:
And if we give a piece of software access to a video camera for eyes, and a microphone for ears, a speaker for a mouth, I think it will be a very long time that this software can have the curiosity of this 8-year old girl in the French movie "Le Papillon" (The Butterfly), 2002.

There's an English subtitle in the following video, but following is the lyrics.

Le papillon / The Butterfly

Pourquoi les poules pondent des oeufs? / Why do chickens lay eggs?
Pour que les oeufs fassent des poules. / So that eggs make chickens.

Pourquoi les amoureux s'embrassent? / Why do lovers kiss?
C'est pour que les pigeons roucoulent. / So that the pigeons coo.

Pourquoi les jolies fleurs se fanent? / Why do the pretty flowers fade?
Parce que ca fait partie du charme. / Because it's part of the charm.

Pourquoi le diable et le bon Dieu? / Why the devil and the good god?
C'est pour faire parler les curieux. / It's to make the curious talk.

Pourquoi le feu brule le bois? / Why does fire burn wood?
C'est pour bien rechauffer nos coeurs or. / It's to warm our golden hearts.

Pourquoi la mer se retire? / Why does the ocean's tide go out?
C'est pour qu'on lui dise "Encore." / It's so that we'll ask it 'again'.

Pourquoi le soleil disparait? / Why does the sun disappear?
Pour l'autre partie du decor. / For the other part of the decoration.

Pourquoi le loup mange l'agneau? / Why does a wolf eat a lamb?
Parce qu'il faut bien se nourrir. / Because it needs to nourish itself well.

Pourquoi le lievre et la tortue? / Why the hare and the tortoise?
Parce que rien ne sert de courir. / Because there's no use in running.

Pourquoi les anges ont-ils des ailes? / Why do angels have wings?
Pour nous faire croire au Pere Noel. / To make us believe in Santa Claus.

Ca t'a plu, le petit voyage? / Did you like the small trip?
Ah oui beaucoup / Ah yes, a lot

Vous avez vu des belles choses? / Have you seen pretty things?
J'aurais bien voulu voir des sauterelles / I would love to see grasshoppers

Des sauterelles? Pourquoi des sauterelles / Grasshoppers? Why grasshoppes?
Et des libellules aussi. / And dragonflies too.

A la prochaine fois, d'accord. / OK, next time
D'accord. / Agree

Je peux te demander quelque chose? / Can I ask you something?
Quoi encore? / What more?

On continue mais cette fois-ci c'est toi qui chantes. / Let's continue, but you sing this time
Pas question. / No question

Tu te pleures. / You cry
Non, mais non. / No, not true

Alors, c'est le dernier couplet. / OK, this is the last verse
Tu ne crois pas que tu pousses un peu le pourchas? / Do you know you push it a bit too far?

Pourquoi notre coeur fait tic-tac? / Why do our heart go tic-tac?
Parce que la pluie fait flic flac. / It's because the rain goes flic-flac

Pourquoi le temps passe si vite? / Why does time go so fast?
Parce que le vent lui rend visite. / Because the wind comes visit it

Pourquoi tu me prends par la main? / Why do you take my hand?
Parce qu'avec toi je suis bien. / Because I feel well with you.

C'est pour faire parler les curieux. / It's to make the curious talk.​

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom