Will Brick and Mortar Stores Die Out?

The brick and mortar stores are running themselves out of business by stocking fewer and fewer items. For Lowe's or Home Depot, for example, once you decide what you need and fork over your money, you wait- till the item arrives in the store. So, it's no faster than ordering on-line. I find that's true also with many refill items. They want to sell you the gadget (preferably stuff you buy on impulse) but they don't carry refills.

We do patronize the local hardware store in town: family owned, a bit jumbled, but they inevitably have whatever widget you need and can help you find it.

It doesn't matter what any one of us says. Sure we want the Mom & Pop store to be there when we want/need it, but we want to buy online too. Can't expect both ways without killing off some/many brick-n-mortars.

What people collectively say they want and what they actually do collectively just don't match. If most people were willing to pay more for in person service, brick-n-mortar stores wouldn't be largely in decline. Most people value lower prices/more convenience over paying any premium for more and more items/services - regardless of what they say.

And you can probably get way more product information online than any store clerk could offer - it's a vicious circle with clerks becoming less and less knowledgeable. We get what we (collectively) deserve...

Last edited:
And you can probably get way more product information online than any store clerk could offer - it's a vicious circle with clerks becoming less and less knowledgeable.

I hesitate to buy anything (I haven't already purchased before) without consulting some reviews. I'll often check the Amazon reviews of a product at Costco and if it checks out, then buy it a Costco - unless it's significantly cheaper at Amazon - very rare.

On the other hand, it seems like I undertake fairly extensive research before buying anything new these days. Even items like LED light bulbs...

I'm referring to stuff I have to have today, like a toilet bowl flapper.
I can order many things from Amazon.com to be delivered today. As time goes on, such purchasing might undercut the ability for local hardware stores to survive.

Also, things like large appliances. I don't see myself buying a washer-dryer on-line.
But my spouse and I did. It'll be a matter of whether critical mass can be retained by the local retailer in light of changing purchasing behaviors, such as that of my spouse and I. The current trend is running toward online and against B&M.

The trend of the large stores making on-line purchases deliverable to the store will help them compete to some level.
Right now critical mass is being maintained for B&M retailing principally on the discomfort of many people with interacting online. Future generations won't have even an inkling of such discomfiture. As soon as enough people feel perfectly comfortable capitalizing on the ability to see and touch something in a store, and then turning to their smart phone to make the purchase from a retailer that can pass along some of the savings stemming from not having a B&M presence, things will be different (and for many retailers, that time is already here).

But I don't think it will disappear completely.
I think, in the end, what we're going to see is another business model for B&M. The path forward is either going to have to involve "religion" - i.e., changing the minds and hearts of a critical mass of people to regard the impact of online purchasing as "sins" because of considerations that have nothing to do with the purchase itself, but instead involve matters such as local jobs and the local economy - or going to have to involve some kind of selling of a purchasing experience.

I cannot even imagine what the latter could look like, but it would have to, in some way, deprive people of the ability to capitalize on the advantages of B&M retailer without some means of assuring that the purchase will be made through the B&M retailer. Maybe there's some way to structure purchasing clubs, so that people who want to be able to see and touch things before they buy can pay a significant annual fee which effectively is like a FSA (a health savings account for which any unused amount at the end of the year is forfeit). Perhaps what will come about is a fair-like arrangement, where manufacturers will rely more heavily on "Home Shows" and the like to give folks an opportunity to see and touch things, with purchases all made online.

Extending that idea a bit... perhaps we see an "everything old is new again" scenario, wherein B&M retail stores become spaces within which the better manufacturers will rent space from retailers - stores within stores, with the manufacturer building the cost of retailing into the purchase, since increased consumer power ripped the ability for the retailer to do so. Perhaps manufacturers will differentiate their product lines, selling at a premium those for which they rent showroom space from retailers, while still selling lower grade models, which aren't available from B&M retailers, exclusively online.

We consumers are simply getting too good at using new technology to our advantage. It's going to change a lot of things, not just retailing.

Also, things like large appliances. I don't see myself buying a washer-dryer on-line.

Like Buu, I bought my most recent washer and dryer online. I researched it on Consumer Reports online, and everywhere else I could think of. I got the measurements and measured and visualized the space usage. Then I ordered it from Sears online, and had it delivered directly to my new-to-me ("dream") house. That took a couple of weeks, and I think that was the only disadvantage of buying them online, for me.

Actually, this is the best washer and dryer I have ever had, maybe because I was inspired to do more thorough research and figure out which ones would best meet my needs. I have only had them since July, so I reserve the option of changing my mind. But at least so far, neither has broken and they have done a superb job of washing and drying my clothes.

I also bought my refrigerator online at Sears, but I already knew the model I wanted because I had it at my old house. It had to stay with the house to entice buyers with a limited budget, so I got an identical frig for the new house.

I don't see how I could get a toilet flapper valve or anything else today from Amazon if needed, though. Usually Amazon ships things in from Memphis, Kentucky, or Texas.

Last edited:
Actually, this is the best washer and dryer I have ever had, maybe because I was inspired to do more thorough research and figure out which ones would best meet my needs. I have only had them since July, so I reserve the option of changing my mind. But at least so far, neither has broken and they have done a superb job of washing and drying my clothes.

It's early days. Long may they last!

The best washer and dryer I ever had came with the house I bought in 1991. I negotiated them as part of the purchase price. When I sold the house 20 years later, they were still going strong.

I agree 100%. To hell with all of it. And not very long ago I enjoyed much of the commercial activity around Christmas. I consider this a real loss.

Ha

Yes, I remember when kids could line up for a department store Santa and the parents could take a photo - all for free. Stores handed out samples of holiday punches and cookies (no alchohol, of course). Some stores even had Nativity scenes (GASP! Choke! Wretch!) if you can imagine that insult to modern diversity thinking. And there was a general feeling of Christmas that came along with the shopping experience.

Now, it's just, spend, spend, spend, how can we squeeze a few more bucks out of you.

Gosh, I sound like an old codger who screams 'Get Off of My Lawn', but I'm not. ;)

Frankly, Christmas during my lifetime has always been highly commercial; I remember my Mother complaining about this; I simply didn't mind.

I do miss the department stores' hoopla - Christmas decorations, especially the "Christmas sections," where they put the beautifully decorated trees, and where the day after Christmas, you could buy the lovely ornaments at half price. During the past few years, all the stores have ceded the "Christmas section" to seasonal "Christmas stores." Probably good business practice, as it frees up more space to display potential gifts.

Amethyst

Yes, I remember when kids could line up for a department store Santa and the parents could take a photo - all for free. Stores handed out samples of holiday punches and cookies (no alchohol, of course). Some stores even had Nativity scenes (GASP! Choke! Wretch!) if you can imagine that insult to modern diversity thinking. And there was a general feeling of Christmas that came along with the shopping experience.

Now, it's just, spend, spend, spend, how can we squeeze a few more bucks out of you.

Gosh, I sound like an old codger who screams 'Get Off of My Lawn', but I'm not. ;)

I don't see how I could get a toilet flapper valve or anything else today from Amazon if needed, though. Usually Amazon ships things in from Memphis, Kentucky, or Texas.

Just wait. :) In Nashville, if you pay the surcharge, you can get that delivered, guaranteed, in less than an hour. (I have yet to use "Prime Now," but they have a surprisingly broad selection--as shown by that toilet flapper.)

Just wait. :) In Nashville, if you pay the surcharge, you can get that delivered, guaranteed, in less than an hour. (I have yet to use "Prime Now," but they have a surprisingly broad selection--as shown by that toilet flapper.)

Is the surcharge really large? Sounds expensive!

Honestly I can hardly wait, if it turns out to be something affordable. Instant gratification could be such a thrill. :D

The existence of Amazon and all the other online shopping facilities makes living in a tiny town great. We have almost no crime; I'd guess that about 90% of homes have guns in them. We don't have to put up with all the political correctness. I very rarely drive the 75 miles to a city since Amazon gets most things here in 2 days. We have the basic hardware, grocery, and clothing stores but for the most part only 1 of each. We also have a clinic, hospital, theater, and a good school. Plus we have about 10 miles of biking/hiking trails. One of the weirder things is we have 3 banks and a credit union. The weather leaves a bit to be desired but I am used to it.

Last edited:
We're also in a small town and for the most part I love it, but I had a disappointing experience with the local flooring company. DH and I went there looking for floor covering for our newly-enclosed porch after they published a coupon in the local paper offering 10% off for town residents. The woman behind the desk showed us a product we liked but said one of the guys who was out to lunch at the moment would call us with answers to our technical questions.

That was 3 months ago. They're still out to lunch, I guess. All we can figure is that they don't want to deal with us because we're small potatoes- maybe about $1K since I'll be doing the installation myself. Wayfair.com has the same product and it costs less. Sad, but that's probably where we'll be buying it when it's warm enough to install tiles (the porch isn't totally insulated and the adhesive must be kept at the right temperature).

Is the surcharge really large? Sounds expensive!

Honestly I can hardly wait, if [Amazon's Prime Now] turns out to be something affordable. Instant gratification could be such a thrill. :D

It is advertised at $7.99 flat rate for the one hour delivery. That's on top of your $99 annual Prime membership.

Reactions: W2R
Frankly, Christmas during my lifetime has always been highly commercial
I miss the old days, when we could rely on all the Chinese restaurants being open on Christmas Day. I no longer can count on that where I live. :(

:)

... That was 3 months ago. They're still out to lunch, I guess. All we can figure is that they don't want to deal with us because we're small potatoes- maybe about $1K ...

Playing devil's advocate here ...

Perhaps they lost the paper on which they jotted your information? Perhaps they got a phone digit wrong? Not every slight in life has malice behind it.
---
Wayne.

Yes, I think they will die out if my shopping habits are typical.

I'm like you, but I think that we are a skewed sample. This forum is dominated by older introverts, the exact opposite of the demographic that flocks to shopping malls.

Some B&M stores will continue to thrive in forms similar to their present form, some will evolve to survive, and many will die.

I'm thinking about getting a new turntable (yes, vinyl records, I have hundreds if not more) and I just can't seem to get myself to order one off the internet.

I'm afraid it will be some plastic pile of crap that won't be any better than the Technics SL-D2 that I bought when I was 14 and still use.

I'm thinking about getting a new turntable (yes, vinyl records, I have hundreds if not more) and I just can't seem to get myself to order one off the internet.

I'm afraid it will be some plastic pile of crap that won't be any better than the Technics SL-D2 that I bought when I was 14 and still use.
Check out eBay. An oldy but goody is waiting for you and probably for a lot less than a new one.

Check out eBay. An oldy but goody is waiting for you and probably for a lot less than a new one.

that's funny - I just bid on a technics linear tracking turntable for $80. I've always wanted one of those. Now I just have to find a nice p-mount cartridge for it. :eek:

. DH and I went there looking for floor covering for our newly-enclosed porch after they published a coupon in the local paper offering 10% off for town residents. The woman behind the desk showed us a product we liked but said one of the guys who was out to lunch at the moment would call us with answers to our technical questions.

That was 3 months ago. They're still out to lunch, I guess. .

This is a common problem in Florida . I need a window repaired . The glass place called & said he would call next week to set up an appointment . That was in November .

This is a common problem in Florida . I need a window repaired . The glass place called & said he would call next week to set up an appointment . That was in November .
A guy cold called and we signed a contract for him to trim my tree in Oct 2015. He was back soliciting in December and I told him he never completed the last job. No problem, they will do it in two days. Mid January and no sign of them. At least I've paid them nothing :mad:

I picked up an old DUAL 1219 turntable off ebay for a $150 about 2 years ago. Still works very well. I bought 2 Shure V15 type IV cartridges back in the early 90s and still have one unopened.

Playing devil's advocate here ...

Perhaps they lost the paper on which they jotted your information? Perhaps they got a phone digit wrong? Not every slight in life has malice behind it.
---
Wayne.

It's possible and I'd never call it "malice"- just "not interested". Plenty of time to figure out where we'll buy since we have to wait for milder weather.

I picked up an old DUAL 1219 turntable off ebay for a $150 about 2 years ago. Still works very well. I bought 2 Shure V15 type IV cartridges back in the early 90s and still have one unopened.

I just won a technics sl-5. It uses a p-mount cart.

Back
Top Bottom