Windows 10

Hello all... reviving this old thread. I'm thinking of accepting the Win 10 upgrade from Win 7 Pro and just wondering if it is worthwhile to do so. Is Win 10 beneficial? Any problems encountered? Thanks in advance.

I upgraded yesterday and it went very smoothly. Windows 10 doesn't seem all that much different from Windows 7. I use RDP a lot and so I was concerned about that, but it worked perfectly. I'm planning to upgrade our other computers in the next week or two.

Sent from my XT1575 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Last edited:
Hello all... reviving this old thread. I'm thinking of accepting the Win 10 upgrade from Win 7 Pro and just wondering if it is worthwhile to do so. Is Win 10 beneficial? Any problems encountered? Thanks in advance.

I like it a lot! It's faster, IMO, and very nicely done overall. I have had zero problems with it aside from a few privacy-related issues (that I discuss below). Basically it runs very smoothly and the user interface is so easy and nearly intuitive to me. It does do upgrades automatically so that is something to keep in mind if you don't like that. You can install the upgrades while you sleep, if you want but the downloads can be inconvenient. I usually stop everything and tell it to download and install the upgrade now, when that is possible. Otherwise my computer seems to get pretty hot with the fan running full blast. I don't know if other people have this happening or if it is just my computer.

Be sure to go through every single part of the "Settings" carefully, immediately after you upgrade. Many people strongly object to the default settings for privacy reasons. Even after tightening everything down, you will still be sending some minimal monitoring data to Microsoft.

In the agreements you have to approve before running Windows 10, you give away nearly everything but your first born child. But then, that seems to be more common than not these days.

The latest Windows 10 upgrade to TH2 last week, was MAJOR. It took almost 2 hours on my new i7, 12 GB RAM, thoroughly lightning fast computer with a fast internet connection. This upgrade was only done for those who had Windows 10 for over a month; others will get the upgrade later. Anyway, Microsoft (deliriously high with their new ability to control one's computer) decided to delete a few programs on peoples' computers without their knowledge or OK during the update process. Mostly these were programs I never heard of, or non-standard drivers, and most people didn't have anything deleted at all. However it uninstalled and deleted CCleaner from my computer and I was not happy about that. Since that was a freebie, I just downloaded it again and re-installed it. But still, the intrusion was disconcerting. I spent some time reading forums and articles confirming that this was what happened. I should have received a notification, but I had turned the notifications off (my bad).

Oh Brave New World.

I suppose that eventually Microsoft will stop supporting old versions of Windows, and we will all be running Windows 10 or another, non-Windows operating system.

Last edited:
I've been on W10 since August 1 (almost 4 months now) and I've seen very few problems. The only time I've noticed any problems is with some of the automatic updates. A couple of the updates have reset some of my user configurable parameters. Just a PIA to go back and set them again.

I've been on W10 since August 1 (almost 4 months now) and I've seen very few problems. The only time I've noticed any problems is with some of the automatic updates. A couple of the updates have reset some of my user configurable parameters. Just a PIA to go back and set them again.

Oh, that happened to me too! I forgot to mention it. Every time it updates I go through the settings and sometimes find a few have been changed.

However it uninstalled and deleted CCleaner from my computer and I was not happy about that.
Maybe they have changed this as I upgraded to W10 yesterday and it didn't touch ccleaner.

Maybe they have changed this as I upgraded to W10 yesterday and it didn't touch ccleaner.

No, I wouldn't have expected it to in your case. It's not upgrading to Windows 10 that does this - - it's the MAJOR "Threshold 2" (TH2) upgrade beyond the Windows 10 version that you now have, that does it. You won't get the TH2 upgrade for at least a month, because Microsoft is withholding it from users until they have had Windows 10 for at least a month. Since you just upgraded yesterday, I believe that right now you have the RTM version of Windows 10, "Release to Manufacturing". No problems at all with deleting software until the RTM version is upgraded to the TH2 version AFAIK.

According to Reddit, other forums, and articles available online, CCleaner was uninstalled and deleted for most during the TH2 upgrade.

It's not a big deal. It was just disconcerting to me, since I live alone and nobody else ever touches my computer, and since I had my notifications turned off so I had no idea where it went! :D

Last edited:
Thanks all. Good info. I'm still on the fence since I am happy with Win 7 for the most part.

Thanks all. Good info. I'm still on the fence since I am happy with Win 7 for the most part.

You can always roll it back to Win 7 if you don't like Win 10, at least within the first 30 days I believe.

I've been on Win10 since they offered the free upgrade months ago. I like it, and don't regret updating. But I welcome change and though Win8 was pretty bad (the dumbed down Metro apps were a big mistake IMO), Win8.1 wasn't all that bad IMO, though Win10 is noticeably better. Some of the haters were just resistant to change, and Win8 was the first big change in well over a decade.

I've had very few problems. I've noticed that when there is an update, you almost have to do it, though updates aren't always apparent. Some of my apps weren't working right, and I noticed if there was an update available and I completed it, all my apps worked right again. Happened several times, so it appears built in by Microsoft. I assume it's because they want all security fixes up to date, can't blame them for that.

Very recently the Start Menu button just quit working twice, but I fixed it by reloading Win10 the first time, and it just fixed itself today:confused:

Last edited:
Me too. Win 7 works just fine on my 3 year old Pentium I3 Asus laptop. It loads quickly, never have a freeze up, all my programs work fine. I just dread the win 10 update and I'm debating simply getting a new laptop with win 10 or whatever is available when Microsoft stops safety updates for win 7 on January 2020.

Another option is I have been using Linux Mint on my old pentium D desktop and it works just fine there. I installed Linux when Microsoft stopped security updates for Windows XP. Maybe I'll just install Linux @ my laptop and get off the Microsoft carousel altogether.

Had that too, but found out if you "troubleshooting" (literally in command line) and run fix updates or something it will go away.

No, I wouldn't have expected it to in your case. It's not upgrading to Windows 10 that does this - - it's the MAJOR "Threshold 2" (TH2) upgrade beyond the Windows 10 version that you now have, that does it.

I like it! Good marketing. "Threshold" doesn't mean anything, whereas "Service Pack" has come to mean "fixing a bunch of screw ups, while introducing many others." Somebody got a bonus for that one, I'm sure.

Thanks for reviving this thread. I held off updating to Win10 because I used my computer for my FLL robotics team - and didn't want anything to risk the team's programs or project stuff. Now that the season is over, I can update.

Had a strange thing happen with by upgraded laptop tonight. I removed it from its docking station and carried it into the living room. When I opened the screen up fully (it hadn't been completely closed) the screen content and mouse motion was upside down. I'm thinking that somehow Windows 10 thought the laptop was a tablet and tried to orient the screen based on the orientation of the laptop. I'm pretty sure the laptop doesn't have any accelerometers, though.

A power cycle fixed the problem.

Had a strange thing happen with by upgraded laptop tonight. I removed it from its docking station and carried it into the living room. When I opened the screen up fully (it hadn't been completely closed) the screen content and mouse motion was upside down. I'm thinking that somehow Windows 10 thought the laptop was a tablet and tried to orient the screen based on the orientation of the laptop. I'm pretty sure the laptop doesn't have any accelerometers, though.

A power cycle fixed the problem.

If you click on the windows icon in the lower left corner, select "Settings", then select "System", then select "Display", there is a screen orientation choice. You have a choice between Landscape, Landscape flipped, Portrait, or Portrait flipped.

I'm not sure where the orientation lock is; you might have to click on "Tablet Mode" (just below "Display") to lock it out of tablet mode, or something like that.

Hope this helps. I haven't ever had this happen with mine yet.

I like it! Good marketing. "Threshold" doesn't mean anything, whereas "Service Pack" has come to mean "fixing a bunch of screw ups, while introducing many others." Somebody got a bonus for that one, I'm sure.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: You are so right! :D What a stroke of genius - - his kid's college is paid for. :2funny:

Okay, I updated the desktop computer and found my first serious incompatibility with Windows 10. I have a Logitech WiLife security camera that is not supported. The camera system is pretty old and I'd like to consider updating it to something more modern. Hope it isn't too far off topic to ask for suggestions here. I'm not looking for anything very sophisticated, just something that would record video and send an alert when the camera detects motion.

I've been waiting for this TH2 release. I didn't know it would be called that, rather, MS always does this.

So I was researching and found that for a while last week, you could create media that had the TH2 changes embedded, then MS suddenly yanked it a week ago. But it is now back. So, the method I want to use is to create media (MCT) and do a clean install with all the changes in place, thus avoiding a large extra download and settings reset.

Sounds like a good project to do over the holidays.

The more I use Win 10 the better I like it. The one and only problem that I had was having to get a new version of Norton Internet Security immediately after the Windows 10 install. I have a 3 year old Toshiba L7750-57305 laptop with AMD processor.

Finally got the 1511 10586 update. Only took about 2 hours with all the reboots and wait screens.

Now back to my other OS, where an update takes a minute.

I upgraded my notebook and desktop to Win10 this week. So far, aside from a couple of issues, its working fine.

I had to upgrade my BIOS on my desktop to enable sleep again. And, on my notebook, to fix a microphone issue, I had to delete the audio device from device manager and let the system find it on rescan.

I went through device manager and methodically upgraded all drivers. I think that helps a lot with random issues.

Since I work from the desktop, I'm not seeing a lot of difference.

Last week I spent about 6 hours trying to upgrade my 2013 Dell XPS13 laptop to W10, and then finally gave up. During the initial installation I was notified of an incompatibility between W10 and the touchpad software, and was asked if the installation may uninstall the incompatible software. I gave my permission, and the uninstallation proceeded, followed by a request to reboot to complete the uninstallation. Okay. This reboot apparently killed the W10 installation, though, so I had to start over. And for whatever reason, the W10 installer didn't remember that it had already downloaded the W10 install files, so it downloaded W10 again before proceeding. This time the W10 installation identifies the same touchpad software incompatibility, but tells me that I must uninstall the software manually. So I do uninstall it manually (I thought it was uninstalled earlier when I rebooted?), reboot, and start the W10 installation again. First download the W10 installation files again, and then run into the same touchpad incompatibility message. This time there is no touchpad software installed any more that I can uninstall. I tried to click okay at this dialog box, and the same dialog box came up again...over and over. Then I tried to cancel out of the dialog box and the whole W10 installation terminated. I tried looking for some remnant of the incompatible software to uninstall, but could find nothing.

At that stage I was stuck. I couldn't proceed without uninstalling some software, but there was no software for me to uninstall. And each time I would try something new, I had to wait 45 minutes for the installer to download the W10 install files again. So I gave up and decided that W7 works just fine.

Last week I spent about 6 hours trying to upgrade my 2013 Dell XPS13 laptop to W10, and then finally gave up. During the initial installation I was notified of an incompatibility between W10 and the touchpad software, and was asked if the installation may uninstall the incompatible software. I gave my permission, and the uninstallation proceeded, followed by a request to reboot to complete the uninstallation. Okay. This reboot apparently killed the W10 installation, though, so I had to start over. And for whatever reason, the W10 installer didn't remember that it had already downloaded the W10 install files, so it downloaded W10 again before proceeding. This time the W10 installation identifies the same touchpad software incompatibility, but tells me that I must uninstall the software manually. So I do uninstall it manually (I thought it was uninstalled earlier when I rebooted?), reboot, and start the W10 installation again. First download the W10 installation files again, and then run into the same touchpad incompatibility message. This time there is no touchpad software installed any more that I can uninstall. I tried to click okay at this dialog box, and the same dialog box came up again...over and over. Then I tried to cancel out of the dialog box and the whole W10 installation terminated. I tried looking for some remnant of the incompatible software to uninstall, but could find nothing.

At that stage I was stuck. I couldn't proceed without uninstalling some software, but there was no software for me to uninstall. And each time I would try something new, I had to wait 45 minutes for the installer to download the W10 install files again. So I gave up and decided that W7 works just fine.

I hope rolling back to Win 7 went OK? I tried Win 10 and preferred 7 and rolled back. Win 7 will be be supported for 5 more years.

Back
Top Bottom