World Cup Football/Soccer 2018

Half time in the Germany game. If this result holds it'll be meatballs for dinner tonight.

+1 No sh*t!

Germany in danger of going the same route as Spain did 4 years ago. Come in as reigning champs, odds on favorite to repeat and then book early reservations to go home.

Germany looks slow and out of ideas as a side right now.

The first match I saw in South America was River Plate Stadium, River Plate vs Boca Juniors. It was the first time I experienced the extreme passion for the game and still remember it. :)
Definitely.

My daughter-in-law's Dad is a die-hard River Plate fan. He has lived in the States for 20+ years, and tells me that sports rivalries here (e.g. Bears v Packers) are nothing compared to the rivalries between soccer fans down there, like River v. Boca.

He adds that, unfortunately, sometimes things can get ugly. A couple of years ago, some Boca fans sprayed some River players with pepper spray. :nonono:

https://www.sbnation.com/soccer/201...r-spray-river-plate-players-get-super-clasico

Boateng loses his mind and Germany nearly loses the match.

From that throw-in Sweden should have just taken it into the corner. I know they're trying to win but...

Boateng's reckless tackle was completely unnecessary considering that he was already playing on a caution, time left in the match and direction of play (square to the goal). Germany now loses his services for their final group play fixture vs S. Korea. Germany has remained unconvincing for all but about 30 minutes of the 180+ that they've played. OTH, maybe their near elimination has finally flipped the switch for these so-far underperfomers.

And yeah, that strike off the free kick by Kroos was a beauty. It was almost like it had eyes!

From that throw-in Sweden should have just taken it into the corner. I know they're trying to win but...

Agreed.

And if not for a couple of great saves by the Sweden keeper (the reaction save on Gomez's point blank header!!), Kroos's free-kick goal at the end becomes an after thought.

The worse it should have been was a tie...

Sweden was fouled early in the first.... should have had a penalty kick... that is at least 2 really bad missed calls for penalty that I have seen... and replay SHOULD be doing more if it is to be trusted...

Both missed calls would have gone to the losing team... and both probably will be out after group stage...

The worse it should have been was a tie...

Sweden was fouled early in the first.... should have had a penalty kick... that is at least 2 really bad missed calls for penalty that I have seen... and replay SHOULD be doing more if it is to be trusted...

Both missed calls would have gone to the losing team... and both probably will be out after group stage...

I missed the first 22 minutes of the match as it was "jungle Wifi" here in Costa Rica earlier today. I just looked at the replay of the incident you mentioned (12th minute) and not only should Sweden have been awarded a penalty kick, but Boateng should have been sent off for denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity! Boateng fouled the Swede player both low (on the leg) and high with a push in the back. Take yer pick there, señor arbitro!

Sweden was definitely jobbed in this case. And WTF is with the VAR officials? Was somebody in the booth out getting coffee?

This is the second game where the refs blew it and VAR refused to review an obvious penalty. Serbia and Sweden were robbed

Plenty of criticism of officiating in this World Cup, much of it deserved.

On the flip side, I want to give a quick shout out to two U.S. FIFA list referees - Jair Marrufo and Corey Rockwell who were both part of the 3-man crew for today's Belgium/Tunisia fixture.

Marrufo was the center ref and Corey Rockwell one of his two assistant referees. Both of these guys represented themselves and the U.S. Soccer referee program well.

Nice work guys!

I haven’t been able to watch all the games I wanted to see but, thanks to this thread, I feel like I’ve been able to keep up—while also being entertained! Thanks, folks.

5-0 at half time. Time to celebrate with a second cup of tea.

This match is a real laugher. England gets to pad its goal differential and individual player stats.

I was about to write, "Not a goal in sight for Los Canaleros" and they manage to sneak one in!

England could end up winning the whole bloody tournament yet end up with the dubious distinction of allowing a goal by Panama. :ROFLMAO:

Hanging on in quiet desperation.

Belgium is my dark horse pick to win this WC. A side with great overall quality.

It looks like Fellaini got himself a haircut. :ROFLMAO:

It will be interesting to see how Belgium does when they play a tougher opponent.

It will be interesting to see how Belgium does when they play a tougher opponent.

+1

Belgium and England have had an easy go of it so far. Both sides will find out soon enough.

Colombia

Watched the Telemundo feed of the Colombia/Poland match. Several times the camera showed former Colombian midfielder Carlos Valderrama in attendance.

Valderrama is no longer "El Pibe". I'll just say that "The kid" wore that 'fro a lot better 25 years ago than he does today!

Egypt's goalkeeper just saved a penalty - at 45 the oldest player in World Cup history - which just goes to show you shouldn't retire too early.

Egypt's goalkeeper just saved a penalty - at 45 the oldest player in World Cup history - which just goes to show you shouldn't retire too early.

I've seen that guy playing in our local Sunday morning men's league Over 40 division.
;)

Rafa Marquez will be his teammate starting next year.

Back
Top Bottom