Yankee or Good Ol Boy Like Me Test

34. I'm surprised to learn that there's lots of Pennsylvania left in my vocabulary, too.

I scored 66, just south of the Mason-Dixon Line.  Funny, considering my family's from deepest, darkest, most inbred south Arkansas. LOL  But I grew up out west, and some of the questions had more than one answer that I would use.  (I'd use y'all or you-ins, for instance, though I prefer y'all.)

22%, not surprising. Grew up in NY/NJ, but Mom is from Ohio, and I went to school outside Cleveland. I (mostly) don't sound like a Nuyawker. I can easily pass for OH, MI, not heavily accented parts of PA, and CO.

"44% Dixie. Barely in Yankeedom."

I think if the test were broader, my score would go down.

"57% Dixie. Barely in Dixie". Which I guess is right, considering I'm maybe 50 miles below the Mason Dixon line. Also, my family's background is part Pennsylvania, part Tennessee, and part Nof Cuhlyhna, so I guess that gets me a bit mixed up. :p

25%, a Yankee Doodle Dandy. Where I grew up, Connecticut was considered too far south to qualify as "Yankee."

Bpp

8% Dixie. You are as Yankee as they get!!

LOL could I be any more Yankee!!

30%, higher than expected due to answering "Coke" and "TP", I grew up in downtown Los Angeles, everybody said that there. :confused:

36% - definitely a Yankee even though I lived in Maryland for 30 years and now live in Virginia.

Grumpy

61% Dixie. Just under the Mason-Dixon Line

I live in central Arkansas.   weee!

Bet they have never tried to gig a frog.

If you're really talented at it, you're proficient with the clamp gig and can then clean them fresh back at the house! Besides, i find it always entertains the guests if you let one hop around while you clean the others.

35%. I'm still a hoagie-eating, pop-drinking Pennsylvanian, even though I've been in Maryland for 22 years.

Cj

I went frog gigging a couple of times with a neighbor growing up in Ohio. I still have the "gigger" thing, too....but find enough outdoor activities in Wisconsin that dont think about it.... :D Makes good for knocking off hornet nests off of the house....:LOL:

Laurence said:
30%, higher than expected due to answering "Coke" and "TP", I grew up in downtown Los Angeles, everybody said that there. :confused:

Yeah! I grew up in the LA area too and we always said "TP someone's car" or "TP someone's house"!

I am a 76...

But I thought it was interesting that one response has "Local use in Houston and eastern Great Lakes"... how did THIS happen??

cj said:
35%. I'm still a hoagie-eating, pop-drinking Pennsylvanian, even though I've been in Maryland for 22 years.

Cj

The "pop-drinking" pegs you as western Pa. I'm from Philly where it is called soda.

Grumpy

64%...and yet my husband claims he can still detect my native Brooklyn accent! What y'all think o' that!

And I called it a hero sandwich as a child. Then a sub. Now a po'boy. Mmmm...frahd catfish po'boy...

About pop - Grumpy, you're right. I'm originally from near Altoona. I met my DH in northeastern PA, and when we first met I said something about a bottle of pop, and he said, wow, you're not from around here, are you:confused: But honestly, I do say "soda" now. Got to, if I ever want to actually get something to drink and not a weird look. :)

CJ

57%, barely in Dixie. I guess the Chicagoland/NY thing has left me after so many years in KY. It used to be "you guys" and now it is "you all." I will never say - "y'all" :p

43% Dixie. Barely in Yankeedom

Surprisingly accurate!

Back
Top Bottom