Your commute

ls99

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Think your commute to and from w*rk is rough?
Try this:

A pilot boat going out to pick up pilot from oil tanker. The pilot needs to get from the ladder on the side of ship to the pilot boat.

Long ago, when I was a Navy submariner, we took on a pilot a few times going into foreign ports. It is no picnic for anyone involved, including the officer of the deck driving the sub (which was usually me). If the pilot falls between the sub and the pilot boat, he is likely to be crushed and killed. At best, he will need to be fished out of the ocean somewhat worse for the wear, especially in northern latitudes where the water is really cold.

Long ago, when I was a Navy submariner, we took on a pilot a few times going into foreign ports. It is no picnic for anyone involved, including the officer of the deck driving the sub (which was usually me). If the pilot falls between the sub and the pilot boat, he is likely to be crushed and killed. At best, he will need to be fished out of the ocean somewhat worse for the wear, especially in northern latitudes where the water is really cold.

Last week I visited the Sub Base and Museum in Groten, Ct. Hats off to you! If anyone here is ever in the area it is well worth the stop.

When I was a kid (and even more recently), I would go out on deck to look for the pilot boat when just outside the harbor. In the carribean, not much chance of anybody falling-in, but, as a kid, always kinda hoped for some action (but it was usually uneventful). Watched the transfer outside of Ushuaia more recently. More challenging due to higher seas, but they have plenty of rails and hand-holds.

Ah… triggers memories of doing at-sea enforcement boardings… climbing a swinging rope ladder with backpack, helmet, law enforcement equipment belt…

Last week I visited the Sub Base and Museum in Groten, Ct. Hats off to you! If anyone here is ever in the area it is well worth the stop.

Indeed. The only submarine I've ever been inside is the WWII Torsk in the Baltimore Maritime Museum. As when I went on the ride in the WWII B-17 bomber, I came away with a sense of awe at what those crews did.

Back
Top Bottom