Your Fantasy Bathroom

Danny

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The bathroom-seat fairy has landed on your shoulder during a bathroom meditation and given you a blank check, with the stipulation it can only be spent on bathroom(s) remodeling. You have the space flexibility to knock down walls to create your dream.
What would your fantasy bathroom(s) look like.

We have a fairly small bathroom upstairs. The only change I'd make would be to add a small urinal behind the bathroom door.. No one could see it if the door was open, it uses less water, and the dang toilet seat could stay down forever.

--Greg

Co-axial dual-planetary Bathroom system

When I was living in Europe (The Germanic Countries) I noticed that people's houses had a "Badenzimmer" literally "Bathroom" and a separate "Toilette" what WE in USA would call "The Bathroom" or Crapper or "Poweder room". If you'd ask to use the bathroom it menat you wnated to interrupt the conversation to soak in the bathtub or take a shower for some strange reason.

I'd design my house that way. A big room with 2 sinks and bathtub and shower. And a separate smaller room with a sink and septic conveyence.

So far we have the following on the list for the good bathroom fairy:

Comfort height toilet with glow in the dark seat and remote control seat lowerer and lifter for DW's use :)
6 ft Soaker Tub

Not set on the rest looking at your ideas :)

DanTien said:

Hmm, you mean besides the extra-large spa tub filled with nekkid coeds?   A library, a cone of silence, and a jet-powered exhaust fan.

DanTien,

You have entirely too much time on your hands.

However, I suggest the following URL for those who, like my wife and I, take sitting down very seriously:

http://www.terrylove.com/

We have bought several fixtures based on this fellow's reviews. It has been a moving experience. I will say no more.

Ed the bran muffin and broccoli Gypsy

wab said:
... and a jet-powered exhaust fan.
Gee, whatever will you use for fuel?

Except for some of Wab's enhancements, we're living our fantasy.

When we bought this house the master bath had a small tub and a submarine shower (3'x3' enclosure, 1" smaller than my elbows, with a water-saver showerhead). The "Eeeewwwww" factor was pretty high and it helped lower the sale price. The shower's fiberglas pan cracked and of course it didn't have a rubber liner (that would have cost another $25) so it ate through the ceiling below (luckily another bathroom). I patched it with a kit and swore I'd be back when I had more time.

The month I retired we found a 4'x6' whirlpool tub on the Internet ($1100 plus $400 shipping from Atlanta to Oahu) that replaced both the shower and the tub. We were going to put cultured marble on the tub walls but I dropped one piece (**crash!**-- $400) and in the process of starting over we discovered tile-patterned fiberboard ($75). We raised the shower nozzle to seven feet and made it a rainfall, then added a ceiling-hung shower curtain (like the curtains around hospital beds). We were going to enlarge an adjacent closet but instead we fit a custom-built waterproof cabinet stack at the end of the tub to hold the candles & other toys. It's a big cabinet but I don't know if it has enough room to store the nekkid co-eds.

The bathroom's tiny front window is set high on the wall, but if we replaced it with a picture window then we'd have a stunning view of the Waianae from the toilet & tub. One of these days I'll get around to it...

Attachments

• Tub corner view low small.JPG
    Tub corner view low small.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 115
Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON said:
We have a fairly small bathroom upstairs.  The only change I'd make would be to add a small urinal behind the bathroom door..  No one could see it if the door was open, it uses less water, and the dang toilet seat could stay down forever.

--Greg

Being way out in the sticks, we could just leave the seat down
all the time and I could just walk out on the deck if I was so inclined. :)

JG

Our master bath has 7 doors of which 4 you can walk through.  4 closets (2 walk-in, 2 linen), a toilet room (it's in its own little enclosed space), a shower, a whirlpool tub, his & her sinks (different heights) and a wall size mirror above the sinks.  A little cabinet at the sink for toiletries.  Good lighting as well from lights and the sun.

The room is carpeted except an edge along the shower & tub and in the toilet closet.

Not sure a whirlpool tub is worth it.  The jets get used about 3 - 4 times year.

The other indispensable remodeling tip for a bathroom: weekly maid service.

Hmm, you mean besides the extra-large spa tub filled with nekkid coeds?   A library, a cone of silence, and a jet-powered hookah exhaust fan.

Now your talkin'...  8)

Here was ours for the first year on the boat. (I'm standing in the shower.)

This was the middle-sized bathroom (although we called them "heads"). The small one was in the forward cabin, had only about 3" clearance on either side of the toilet seat, and no shower.

The big one involved hanging over the rail, and was usually only used by males, especially after a happy hour.   Putting the seat up or down wasn't the issue -- missing the dinghy was.

Attachments

• head.jpg
    head.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 107
dory36 said:
Here was ours for the first year on the boat. (I'm standing in the shower.)

This was the middle-sized bathroom (although we called them "heads"). The small one was in the forward cabin, had only about 3" clearance on either side of the toilet seat, and no shower.

The big one involved hanging over the rail, and was usually only used by males, especially after a happy hour.   Putting the seat up or down wasn't the issue -- missing the dinghy was.

Hello Dory. We saw our boat off for the trip to Texas today.
It will be stored there until we go down. I originally had a bigger
boat in mind
with a pretty complete head, but then reality intruded
on my dreams. Ended up with a porta-potty in the V berth.
Better than nothing for sure and the marina where it will be kept
has nice facilities.

JG

When we moved here, I promised DW what I liked to call my
DDT plan (a Deck, a Dock, and a hot Tub). She is still waiting for the tub and I was reminded of this last night. I opined that
(as Meatloaf used to say) :) Two out of three ain't bad. Re.
our bathroom................just the basics. I wouldn't know where
to start there.

JG

REWahoo! said:
To each his/her own, but I would have flushed the toilet before taking the photo... ;)

Like I said, let's skip the effluent and focus on the affluent. :)

JG

I'm currently designing a major remodel of my bathroom, and it will have every feature that my "fantasy" bathroom does, except for cost reasons, it will still be downstairs from the bedroom.  If money were no object, it sure would be nice to have it closer.

As it is, it will have everything the current one doesn't - 
- Plenty of light, natural (skylight) and artificial, so I can actually SEE to shave my legs in the shower, what a luxury!
- A big jetted soaking tub
- TWO sinks with adequate space between
- LOTS of storage
- LOTS of towel racks (heated?  Maybe.)
- In floor heat
- Warm fuzzy rugs
- Powerful but quiet fan
- A two-headed shower with a bench/seat ( :-X please!)
- As much expensive ceramic tile as I can afford

Repairmanjack said:
The one we used in Japan had a seat warmer and a sink over the tank so you could wash off your fingers with the water that is refilling the tank. They have some ersatz ones here in the US, but none as nice as the ones in Japan.

Reminds me of the Simpsons episode when they go to Japan...

japantoisimp.JPG

OK I had a look at the bathroom sites.
And the almost newest in toilet technology can be yours from TOTO USA. There is also a video on the site, which is pretty disturbing.
http://www.washlet.com/jasmin.asp

My fantasy bath would have to be a Japanese bath.
The Japanese bathroom divides the bath and toilet into separate rooms. The bath is divided into the actual bathroom and a changing room with a sink. Features
Non-electric Thermo Floor to keep my footsies warm before and after the bath
One of those high tech windows where the window turns opaque with a touch of a button.
Jet bath
Rewarmer for the water in the bath
Soundsystem
Healing lights (underwater ambient lights)
Remote. Press the button in the kitchen. The stopper goes into the tub fills up to the preset height and heat. It will also keep it at that level until you turn it off.
System to take the bath water, filter it, and put it into the washer.
And a tub big enough for 2.
Here is a Japanese site with pictures
http://www.inax.co.jp/products/bathroom/system/precio/

DanTien said:
The bathroom-seat fairy has landed on your shoulder during a bathroom meditation and given you a blank check, with the stipulation it can only be spent on bathroom(s) remodeling. You have the space flexibility to knock down walls to create your dream.

Can I see what's behind door number two?

. . . Yrs to Go said:
Can I see what's behind door number two?
Sure, go ahead....but better knock first

mikew said:
My fantasy bath would have to be a Japanese bath.

My inner geek has always wanted a high-tech toilet, a plumbed floor, and a liquid crystal window.   And my inner carpenter has always wanted lots of wood with Japanese-style joinery, paper screens, etc.   But, in the end, my practical, cheap, and lazy sensibilities came through during our last bathroom remodel.   Simple, clean lines, inexpensive, robust, and water-resistant!

What's the MTBF for these high-tech Japanese baths?   Do you need an IT guy in the stall next to you to keep it running?

Edit: supposedly, there's a new generation of electrochromic windows that should be better than the liquid crystal gadget. At some point, I will no longer be able to resist one. We have an ocean view from our tub, and my wife wanted blinds on the window for privacy! Of course, she got her blinds, but as soon as Home Depot starts carrying EC windows, they're gone!

My fantasy bathroom is having my own bathroom.

I also want bathrooms that are entirely waterproof. To clean it, you close the door, flick on a switch, and the whole thing gets sprayed down and then blown dried.

MRGALT2U said:
Being way out in the sticks, we could just leave the seat down
all the time and I could just walk out on the deck if I was so inclined. :)

JG

JG: If I was your DW and you put the hot tub out near the deck, I wouldn't use it. ;).

--Greg

More on Japanese bathrooms.....

We stayed with some Japanese friends a few months ago. First, you NEVER get into the tub without taking a complete shower first. The shower and tub are in the same room - no shower stall, the room is the shower area. The whole room is water proof with a drain in the floor. You sit in a small stool to wash, scrubbing every inch. Then, you rinse and get into the tub to soak, not wash. The same water stays in the tub all day and everyone in the house, guests and family, use the same water to soak in. Our Japanese friends would soak 3 or 4 times a day.

The next morning, the old tub water is used to wash clothes. A hose drains the tub water into the washing machine.

If you ever get a chance, go to a Japanese ryokan. These are traditional Japanese Inns, usually with onsens (natural hot springs). We have been fortunate enough to go to several. My fantasy bathroom would have to be an onsen....

http://www.view-hotel.co.jp/daiyokujo/index.html
http://www.myguidejapan.com/kyushu/kyushu.html

Back
Top Bottom