Your most outrageous bucket list item fulfilled?

Haven't fulfilled any outrageous items since I can't get anyone to loan me an F1 car for a few laps around Austin's F1 track. Nor have I been able to get a ride in a current day fighter plane at low altitude or any altitude for that matter.

Maybe I'll have to settle for a superkart and a ride in a P51;)

Hey, do any of you have any contacts with racing organizations that might do time tests on the Bonneville Salt Flats?

Thinking there might a racecar guy (or gal) among the crowd here, what with the F1 and all that DFW. :)

We're trying to find a way to get an official speed test on the bus when we come by Wendover in late May. Top speed thus far, downhill, on good pavement, in Hungary was 57 mph.

What was your most outrageous bucket list item which you completed?

Well, er.... :blush: Everyone's bucket list is different, right? And what seems totally outrageous and different and unusual to me probably isn't to others, and vice versa. That said, here is my most outrageous (IMO) bucket list item which I completed:

I established a real, honest-to-gosh HOME here in New Orleans. I have lived here for the past 18 years by now, longer than anywhere else. I have even lived in the same house for the past 12 years and it is even paid off, so it is as much mine as is possible.

Having moved 28 times so far in my life, and having spent most of my younger life bouncing around the country and world due to circumstances beyond my control, having a real home like other people has always been a completely outrageous bucket list dream of mine.

I love having my own home and awakening in my own bed each morning, knowing I am HOME! :dance:
Simon and Garfunkel - Homeward Bound (1966 - Live) - YouTube

No bucket list here. There are many things I have not done, many places that I have not been to. As long as I get to do something different, go to some places new, it's good enough.

Last edited:
Hey, do any of you have any contacts with racing organizations that might do time tests on the Bonneville Salt Flats?

Thinking there might a racecar guy (or gal) among the crowd here, what with the F1 and all that DFW. :)

We're trying to find a way to get an official speed test on the bus when we come by Wendover in late May. Top speed thus far, downhill, on good pavement, in Hungary was 57 mph.

Here you go: Usfra home page although for 57 MPH, you can probably find someplace closer to home:D

Cool, DFW--they are the folks I just wrote an email to, this morning. :)

Although our school bus isn't very fast, there doesn't appear to be a record on record for fastest school bus on the flats, so theoretically, ours COULD be the fastest!!

The bus is in Seattle now, so we have to come by Utah at some point on our way home so it isn't too far out of the way.

We missed taking a turn on the Nurburgring in Germany by a day--they closed before we could make it there on our way through Germany, but that would have been amazing.

We missed taking a turn on the Nurburgring in Germany by a day--they closed before we could make it there on our way through Germany, but that would have been amazing.

Would love to take some laps at the Ring in a ZR1 vette or GT3 Porsche.

That's a good option. Here's another Drive REAL Supercars on REAL Racetracks - Xtreme XperienceXtreme Xperience | Drive exotic super cars on real racetracks across the US . My brother and his DW got these for each other as gifts and were thrilled.

Yes, I'm sure that would be fun for most folks. I previously had a few cars that were essentially street driven racecars. One a corvette and the other a Porsche. Also, was one of the original members of Motorsport Ranch, south of Ft Worth. Unfortunately, those mid-life crisis days are over, and now I tool around in a Civic:LOL:

Guess I've done enough scary stuff for one life time including, but not limited to a balloon crash and a forced landing in a single engine plane (described elsewhere). But, I'm sort of with W2R but perhaps from a different angle. I always HAD a home. In fact, have lived in the old "home stead" perhaps 10 different times since my birth (always coming back - university days, first married days, before kids, after raising kids, summer vacations from Hawaii, etc.). What was on my bucket list, though, was to move to the Islands and establish my home there. That I have now done. Don't know how "outrageous" that is, but after spending most of my life on the prairies of the midwest, It seemed sort of outrageous at the time. YMMV

Deep sea fishing off of Marathon key with FIL/DF. We caught a few fish, the catch of the day was 9 Cuban refugees, 22 miles off shore. I've never seen such happy people. Their engine had died, no food, 1 liter of water they were saving for a 3 year old. Coast Gaurd told us they would probably have hit land in Iceland, in a couple months. At that time they got a free pass into the US. Often wondered where they are today. The refugees really did the outrageous thing, we just got to watch.

MRG

This may be the coolest thing I've read in this forum! What a wonderful memory to have, MRG. You are so blessed (by blessing others).

Build my own house. No matter how small, it's something I've always wanted to do. Since building tree-forts as a kid, to taking library construction books home for the last 40 years, it's always been a dream.

Dang, that was mine!

Nor have I been able to get a ride in a current day fighter plane at low altitude or any altitude for that matter.

....but at least I got to do it for six years with most of the time spent at 500' :)

2nkszg5.jpg

....but at least I got to do it for six years with most of the time spent at 500' :)

2nkszg5.jpg

Nice, since I wanted to fly, after college I tried to join the Navy to be a navigator, but couldn't get past the color blindness and depth perception tests. They offered me a direct commission as a Lt in the Seabee's since I was an engineer. I prompty said "no thanks". That was several years after my stint in the USAF during late 60s.

Back
Top Bottom