Your Bucket List Disappointments

I think my number 2 disappointment (probably not technically bucket list - since I went at age 17) was the canals of Venice. Grotty to the max! The whole venice experience was pretty good, actually, but the canals were like open garbage dumps.

Same feeling I have when I see trash on the beach or blowing across the roads here in Paradise. Tourists don't do that - I've never seen it - it's people who live here. What are they thinking.

Returning you now...

The canals stunk even in February when it was only 40 degrees. The town was beautiful though.

The canals stunk even in February when it was only 40 degrees. The town was beautiful though.

That was my take as well. I think my most vivid memory is seeing sidewalk chalk art not far from the Piazza. Unreal.

Many years ago I had the opportunity to climb Mt Fuji. The trail was strewn with all kinds of garbage and the smell of the toilet facilities was overwhelming for a good part of the hike. At the summit we were greeted with a thick layer of clouds that prevented any real viewing. And a nice pounding headache from the altitude change. Oh, and did I mention we started the hike in the middle of the night to see sunrise from the top. You may have heard some variation of the saying, "A wise man climbs Mt Fuji, but a fool climbs her twice."

No bucket list but did have a business trip to DisneyWorld about 4 years prior to retirement. DH came with me, we had never been, and it was Christmas time.
Busy, crowded, noisy to the extreme.
The one thing I did like is we splurged on special Mickey Christmas party after hours tickets(that was a BTD!). Less crowded and lovely fireworks and parade.

Liked Disneyland in Calif when kids were younger. DisneyWorld was a disappointment.
But then again, I was there in my 50's with no kids! :)

Ha! I’m the oddball here. I actually like Disney and I’m counting the days until the kids move out so DW and I can go without them!

Ha! I’m the oddball here. I actually like Disney and I’m counting the days until the kids move out so DW and I can go without them!

Yeah, other than the ridiculous prices (entry and food/drink), long lines, slap-fights in long lines, unruly children (and adults), expensive accommodations, traffic, long walks between attractions, political employees, etc., what's not to like?

I think my number 2 disappointment (probably not technically bucket list - since I went at age 17) was the canals of Venice. Grotty to the max! The whole venice experience was pretty good, actually, but the canals were like open garbage dumps...

My first visit to Venice was in 2003, and the 2nd one just last year.

I never saw garbage in the canals. Perhaps the Venetians cleaned up their act since your visit, which was eons ago.

Now, the touristy aspect of the Marco Square and the Rialto Bridge is a fact of life, the same as any other landmarks such as the London Bridge, the Pisa Tower, etc...

Now, the touristy aspect of the Marco Square and the Rialto Bridge is a fact of life, the same as any other landmarks such as the London Bridge, the Pisa Tower, etc...

Do you really think that Lake Havasu City (where the London Bridge is currently located) is particularly overtouristed?

No odour when I shopped in Venice 1983 Feb. Few hominids about. Only thing on bucket list was one to relieve one's self in. The indigenese seemed determine that none were provide - except for the tide, which waits for none.

I never saw garbage in the canals. Perhaps the Venetians cleaned up their act since your visit, which was eons ago.

ca 1955 Katherine Hepburn acted in the film "Summertime" filmed in Venice. One scene required KH to fall into a canal (repeated 3 or 4 times.) Apparently, her eyes were infected from the scene and the problem plagued her for the rest of her life. So let us HOPE they have cleaned up the canals as I'm sure several people (we call these people drunks:facepalm:) fall into the canals every year.

I count myself as VERY lucky in that I don't have much of a bucket list and I am still pretty young. I think that is because many bucket list items are travel related and well, Uncle Sugar (the Air Force) afforded me more travel than I could have EVER imagined. I have thought about figuring out all the places I have been...but it would take to long. I have owned a boat. I have owned an airplane. I have a nice house on some land with a nice pool. I don't really have much to complain about with any of those things and I feel very lucky to have done all the above.

With that, many places that I thought would be very interesting really weren't. Egypt was one of them. I thought Petra would be pretty awesome too but not so much.

So, I don't do a whole lotta travel these days. The crowds would be a huge bummer...when I was traveling so much, I rarely saw/dealt with the crowds you hear about these days. I think that's odd since most of my travel was between 1998-2012 which really wasn't that long ago...so why is it so bad now?

Oh, and on the subject of best star sightseeing...it's pretty good where I live, but the best I have seen was on a very late night drive from Miami to Key West (before KY became so freaking popular). It was pretty damn awesome. Of course, the many late night crossings of the North Atlantic thanks to Uncle Sam was pretty awesome too and I DO miss that office view.

Once again, I count myself incredibly lucky in life.

I was there in 2003 and didn’t see garbage but due to my severe allergies something has to stink something awful for me to smell it. I still remember the smell.

So, I don't do a whole lotta travel these days. The crowds would be a huge bummer...when I was traveling so much, I rarely saw/dealt with the crowds you hear about these days. I think that's odd since most of my travel was between 1998-2012 which really wasn't that long ago...so why is it so bad now?

Interesting question. In coastal/island locations I'd say it's the cruise ships- more of them, carrying more and more passengers. Ovation of the Seas carries a nightmarish 5,000 of them. Not everyone will get off at every port but the passengers from multiple ships can easily overload the streets, shops and museums.

Social media might be another reason. I post a lot when I'm traveling (yeah, I know, I'm telling people when they can break into my house). So do many others. People see new destinations (a couple of my FB friends said they had to look up Tirana, Albania) or see that places they've heard of have specific aspects that make them want to visit. It's also a lot easier to find a good private tour or guide, good restaurants, see what museums or attractions are like, etc. from online reviews.

I never take any of my trips during the height of tourist season. For instance the week we were in Rome was in February. This year I am going to Europe in April.

i went in 2008 from mid April to Early June. Starting in Greece and working West and North. it was great time to go... except for Switzerland. It was too cold to do any serious hiking up in the mountains. Beautiful, but we didn't stay very long.

Interesting question. In coastal/island locations I'd say it's the cruise ships- more of them, carrying more and more passengers. Ovation of the Seas carries a nightmarish 5,000 of them. Not everyone will get off at every port but the passengers from multiple ships can easily overload the streets, shops and museums.

Social media might be another reason. I post a lot when I'm traveling (yeah, I know, I'm telling people when they can break into my house). So do many others. People see new destinations (a couple of my FB friends said they had to look up Tirana, Albania) or see that places they've heard of have specific aspects that make them want to visit. It's also a lot easier to find a good private tour or guide, good restaurants, see what museums or attractions are like, etc. from online reviews.

That's a good point on the cruises. I think they have really gained popularity as they have gotten bigger and bigger. I know when we were in Roatan (a couple of days close to the port), you KNEW when the ship(s) were in port. Thankfully, we spent most of our time up near Camp Bay far away from the mass 'o sheeple. I can tell you what is NOT on my bucket list...a cruise! :D

I could see social media adding to the madness, too. 20 years ago, I don't think that "fear of missing out" was as big a deal as it is now. I am very happy I got to see as much as I did before the madness. Oh, WDW included.

Couldn't agree more. On our first and only big ship cruise we were totally turned off by the huge crowd, and that was only 800 pax. We vowed never again to go on such a big ship.

Since then, we have done a number of cruises, but the biggest was only 250 pax, which is marginally too big in my book. Another one is booked for later this year, but it's only 150 pax and that's fine.

There are also websites used mainly by ship crewmembers that will let you look up a port and see by date the ships scheduled to be there, along with the size of the ship. That can be very useful information if you're going to be in one of those cities and not cruising yourself.

Couldn't agree more. On our first and only big ship cruise we were totally turned off by the huge crowd, and that was only 800 pax. We vowed never again to go on such a big ship.

Since then, we have done a number of cruises, but the biggest was only 250 pax, which is marginally too big in my book. Another one is booked for later this year, but it's only 150 pax and that's fine.

There are also websites used mainly by ship crewmembers that will let you look up a port and see by date the ships scheduled to be there, along with the size of the ship. That can be very useful information if you're going to be in one of those cities and not cruising yourself.

Our last cruise, for four nights up the Nile River on a dahabiya, had only ten passengers, two guides and the crew. No room for any more than that. I thought it was perfect.

With that, many places that I thought would be very interesting really weren't. Egypt was one of them. I thought Petra would be pretty awesome too but not so much.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/209334/total-number-of-international-tourist-arrivals/

Yet to discover Youtube.
Don't like crowds, change channel:

Last edited:
<snip>

I've never done a mega-ship and never will. Max I've experienced on UnCruise is about 70 passengers and I loved it. Unfortunately they've gotten really expensive if you pay a Single Supplement, and I don't know anyone who shares my crazy travel budget and with whom I'd share a cabin. The one I'll be on in the Galapagos with Overseas Adventure Travel is even smaller.

Yeah I never noticed the smell, went several times.

First time was about 15-20 years ago. Wifi was relatively new at the time but I recall the place that I stayed in, which didn't offer Wifi, was over a restaurant which did have Wifi and in those days, nobody password-protected.

But I do recall that at night, they piled on garbage bags in some of the smaller squares, one near the Rialto bridge. I left early in the morning to go to the airport and it was still dark. I think I saw some of the largest rates I've ever seen.

However, they seem to have improved the garbage collection problem, now have bins which they seem to pick up several times during the day at least.

There's a documentary on PBS' Nova, it aired a couple of months ago about them trying to keep the water from flooding over the city. They have these giant gates in the lagoon but it takes hours to put them all up and they're meant only when they know there are huge flooding events coming.

They can't keep the gates up indefinitely. They need the waves from the Adriatic to come in and cycle the water out of the lagoon and the canals, because it's sewage from the city going into the canals and the water has to be cycled out.

A couple of years ago, I stayed at this nice apartment with direct views of the Grand Canal. Very modern or renovated too.

But in the middle of the summer there was a big rain storm and a couple of days, water pooled up in the alley where the building entrance was so there was a puddle which would enter the lobbies. They have these low gates on the outside of the doors to keep water out.

I would just take my shoes off and walk through the puddle to enter and exit the building.

Of course, the many late night crossings of the North Atlantic thanks to Uncle Sam was pretty awesome too and I DO miss that office view.

Once again, I count myself incredibly lucky in life.

I have probably made over 100 North Alantic crossing from "up front" and could not agree more about the view especially when the Northern Lights are present. There is something magical feeling all alone in the middle of the Atlantic at night.

... the many late night crossings of the North Atlantic thanks to Uncle Sam was pretty awesome too and I DO miss that office view.

I have probably made over 100 North Alantic crossing from "up front" and could not agree more about the view especially when the Northern Lights are present. There is something magical feeling all alone in the middle of the Atlantic at night.

The view out the window from the pointy end at night was something I'll always consider myself truly fortunate to have experienced.

The view out the window from the pointy end at night was something I'll always consider myself truly fortunate to have experienced.

Early in the morning is not too shabby either.

morningRV.JPG

I always watch the 1957 movie THE SPIRIT OF ST. LOUIS on TCM when ever it is shown (coming up again soon.) I watched it as a 10 year old kid and now I get to relive the feeling of wonder and adventure that the film evokes. I hope they restore the film one day as it's a bit muddy after 65 years.

Talk about up front and all alone. I can't imagine the courage it took to complete that solo flight across the Atlantic.

Back
Top Bottom