1941 wheat penny

Nords

Moderator Emeritus
In my peripatetic penny pursuits I've stumbled (literally) across a 1941 wheat. It's in the condition you might expect after being batted around for 64 years and then abandoned on a street corner.

Does anyone know if these coins are worth more than a penny? Any suggestions for a numismatic website to evaluate this treasure?

Nords said:
Excellent, thanks-- it's worth one cent.

Congratulations! A penny saved (found) is a penny earned.

Nords said:
Excellent, thanks-- it's worth one cent.

Actually, I think it's worth significantly more. Spot copper is $1.86/lb. It could be worth more than 1.5 . . . um . . . cents if you drive it down to the local recycling center and dicker a bit.

--Greg

Don't know that they'll ever be worth much, but I save every wheat-back penny, buffalo nickel, and pre-1965 silver coin I happen upon. Probably pass them on to future gens. Might eventually be worth something to them.

1965-72 I had a friend who's father owned a small grocery store. He saved every last pre-65 coin that came thru, took a high percentage of his minimum wage in coins. He had sorted bags of the stuff in a VERY large chest in his basement. He still had all of it last time I talked to him. I think it's buried now. I believe he also calculates his net worth more than twice/day.

--Greg

Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON said:
1965-72 I had a friend who's father owned a small grocery store. He saved every last pre-65 coin that came thru...

My dad also owned a small retail business that he closed when he retired in 1968 (age 62). He also saved old coins and when his health began to fail him in his late 80's, he divided his collection in to four small boxes and told each of his four children to select one at random.

There are probably 200 or so coins in my box. I have no idea if they are of any real value beyond the sentimental, which is substantial.

Copper metal prices are at unprecedented levels. (I hold a sizable position in PD and follow the market). The spot metal price for copper hit over $1.70 per pound, which is in the range smelting older high copper content cents would be economically feasible. Although this price does not warrant melting newer lower copper coins for their metal content, trends show the possibility that smelting older copper content coinage could be in our near future. :D

If you literally stumbled across a penny, you'd better work on your balance next time you're at the health club. :)

REWahoo! said:
My dad also owned a small retail business that he closed when he retired in 1968 (age 62). He also saved old coins and when his health began to fail him in his late 80's, he divided his collection in to four small boxes and told each of his four children to select one at random.

There are probably 200 or so coins in my box. I have no idea if they are of any real value beyond the sentimental, which is substantial.

You should inventory them anyway (unless you don't have the time ;)). You might find a few real valuable ones. Plus, it also rebuilds nice memories, and gives you a chance to call your siblings and stick your tongue out--at them--like the good old days.

--Greg

Back
Top Bottom