2018 YTD investment performance thread

Are you saying it is not yet soaking wet?

My son-in-law told me that he read on reddit that a young guy withdrew his IRA worth $100K to put it all on bitcoin. The guy said that the market only went up 20% last year and he wanted more.

Go big or go home I guess.
I'd rather go home (and keep my home).

I for one am relieved to see the market down today.

I wonder what the reaction would be if we had an old school, no big deal, down 5% day. Imagine the news headlines with Dow Jones down 1300 points.

YTD: 5.79%. It was close to 8% last Friday, before the big drop.

Stock AA is now 63% compared to 70% at beginning of year. Many covered call options hit, actually got deep in the money, and made the other party very happy for buying my shares below current market values. But I was also OK, for squeezing a bit more money out of the shares instead of selling outright.

What has been doing well: semiconductors, biotech, EM, mining, and industrial stocks.

Yup. If you just left off the market feels too high part.

DD just sold some of her interest in a privately held company (a very small interest in the company itself), paid for her home update.

Up 19.8% YTD. Simply astounding.

Big milestone achieved today! I just hit my retirement fund $ target that I formulated a few years ago, to sustain a reasonable non-frugal lifestyle. Achieved it 5-1/2 earlier than expected. Potential to have an even more comfortable lifestyle in retirement. Time will tell. Enjoying and giving thanks every single day.

Incredible.

But isn't re-balancing a form of market timing:confused:?

Yep and it's just another investing 'scheme' like any other. Of course, results will vary[emoji13]

I think it's one of those grey areas.

Re-balancing at the beginning (or end) of the year is not considered market timing. At least I think so but others may disagree.

EDIT: At least I think it's not market timing but others may disagree.

Last edited:
Go big or go home I guess.
I'd rather go home (and keep my home).

I for one am relieved to see the market down today.

I wonder what the reaction would be if we had an old school, no big deal, down 5% day. Imagine the news headlines with Dow Jones down 1300 points.

That’s what I was wondering. Wouldn’t you think a 2600 point 10% correction would cause near panic in the streets?! But that would only bring us back to something like, what , November levels when we were still crowing about the market returns. A conundrum.

I was around 2-3% of portfolio increase after the drop. An awesome January. Or was it TOO awesome :confused:?

YTD (January 31, 2018) returns for a collection of 'close-to' 60/40 funds (from Morningstar.com):

2.87% VSMGX Vg LifeStrategy Moderate Growth (60/40)
2.52% VTWNX Vg Target Retirement 2020 (55/45)
2.74% VBIAX Vg Balanced Index (60/40), no foreign
2.60% DGSIX DFA Global 60/40 I, small-cap & value tilted
2.88% VWENX Vg Wellington (66/34)
3.03% VTTVX Vg Target Retirement 2025 (63/37)
3.54% VGSTX Vg STAR (63/37)

YTD (January 31, 2018) returns for a collection of 'close-to' 60/40 funds (from Morningstar.com):

Our target AA is 60/40, but currently 63/37.

January return was 3.1%. Boglehead portfolio.

19.8% YTD or last 12 months? If that is your return for just January of 2018 then you are DA MAN!

I remember that Turboslacker mentioned in earlier posts that he was concentrated on one stock: Boeing. And indeed Boeing price gain was exceptional last year, and also YTD.

With a single-position portfolio, yes, it can happen. My brother-in-law did the same thing back in the late 90s. He tripled or quadrupled his 401k over a couple of years.

Last edited:
+5% ytd, AAPL and VHT drug me down a bit along with my VBK and small caps.

Compared to my benchmark performance last year I'm about 25% behind :( But at +5% and only 8% into our total trading day's for 2018, I can't complain. :D

:nonono:Jan 31
YTD 3.2%, however for the risk level its not what it should be.

75% Equities Funds (50% US/20% Foriegn/5% Reits)
21% Bonds (in balanced funds) (16% US/5% Foreign)
4% Cash
Source -Personal Capital
Their program suggest a higher allocation to Alternatives would improve risk. I think reducing the bond duration may do more.

Last year ended 80% of the S&P, This year tracking <60%
Not sure what is worse, the bond negative returns or the Value stocks under performing, but I think the underlying allocation to Healthcare was a big finishing drag down this week.

Since a major portion of my allocation is in Wellington and Wellington Global this post above makes sense.

Wellington is value and 5.6 yr duration high quality bonds and pulled down the returns of my other equity funds.

3.51% YTD 60/35/5 AA

I'm quite happy with that one month result.

Even happier now! :dance: but one month does not a whole year make.

Stock and bond investments up 6.73% for the month of January. Incredible.

Throw in a work cash bonus that after taxes was equal to 4% of my cash on hand... and it was a very, very good month. But not setting these expectations for the future, just enjoying the moment.

Back
Top Bottom