2018 YTD investment performance thread

What a cruel dichotomy....The DOW and S+P etc are at all time highs, but yet, I'm afraid, anxious, and eyeing the exit....

Why can't I ever just ENJOY something without always looking for the worm in the apple?!?!?!??!?!? And being certain that I will find it?!?!:confused:

What a cruel dichotomy....The DOW and S+P etc are at all time highs, but yet, I'm afraid, anxious, and eyeing the exit....

If you set an AA you can live with - both going up and coming down - you don't have to concern yourself with any of this. Yes, the ride up is more enjoyable than the ride down, but life is full of inevitable bumps and often when you try to swerve to miss them you do far more harm than good. Tighten your seat belt and hang on!

:) We all know that Quicken annualizes the number unless one gives the date range of 1/1/2018 to 12/31/2018.
Yes, I know that too but I sure like to see those BIG #'s at the beginning of the year (unless they are negative, in which case I'll surely annualize) :D Currently at 122.51% YTD. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited:
3.21% YTD after the 1st week of the year, with 4 trading days. That's more than what I spent last year.

Stock AA is 74%, although effectively it is only 67% due to 7% of the shares have options written on them, which are now in the money.

If I did not write these options, would have picked up another 0.24%.

Last edited:
You'd think this first week of 2018 would make me giddy, but this market exuberance laid atop the craziness going on in this country & the world is frankly giving me the heebie geebies......
well rebalance again if it makes you feel better......

YTD DEC 2017 Investments Summary (target: 53 Equity / 42 Fixed / 5 Cash)
  • 13.25% YTD Weighted Performance overall for the whole pie.
401(k) Personalized Rate of Return is 26.66%.
From 01/01/2017 to 11/30/2017
  • 14.35% American Funds American Balanced R6 Fund
  • 31.68% American Funds New World R6 Fund
Overall increase from previous month
  • 0.85% (not XIRR)
Overall increase for 2017 (includes add'l contributions)
  • 18.05% (not XIRR)
So, we are on a roll, no matter how it is measured. Will rebalance soon back to our targets. For the past 24 months, 22 have been positive for us.
YTD JAN 2018 Investments Summary (target: 53 Equity / 42 Fixed / 5 Cash)
  • 2.94% YTD Weighted Performance overall for the whole pie.
401(k) Personalized Rate of Return is 6.08%.
From 01/01/2018 to 01/26/2018
  • 4.26% American Funds American Balanced R6 Fund
  • 7.51% American Funds New World R6 Fund
Overall increase from previous month
  • ??.??% (not XIRR)
Overall increase for 2018 (includes add'l contributions)
  • ??.??% (not XIRR)
A bit early for EOM, and still on a roll. Some numbers missing, but need to submit now. Week will get crazy busy.
:greetings10:

After subtracting 2018 contributions, I am +5.7% for invested assets. 79/15/6 mix. Just nuts.

what no one here put 100% into TQQQ and up 34%?

I do love the subreddits to see these crazy kids, they are making a killing right now, hate to see what happens when things go south.

I'm up 5% YTD, I'm more than happy with that as I can sleep at night.

Help me understand how you get your YTD percent. If I use this calculator and enter 1 month I see a large percentage for YTD.
Investment Return Calculator: Measure your Portfolio's Performance

So the proper way would be enter 12 month's right?

well that calculator is giving you annualized returns, so 12 months.

I simply took current balance / (Jan 1 balance - money I withdrew in Jan to live on) = YTD %. So 5% is the amount I made since Jan 1st.

^ Thanks that is what I did also just wasn't sure how everyone was figuring it. Mine also is 5.3%.

Who likes sanity? Insanity is more fun.

7.13% ytd in 401k 100% equities including a healthy chunk of company stock. Only about 5% ytd in the rest of my portfolio. I don't believe in market timing but I'm selling about 4% of my portfolio to pay off the car and kitchen remodel. The market just feels too high.

+4.9% YTD
68% Stock
32% Fixed/Cash

Not including CD or other interest bearing appreciation or dividends.
Equity portion of portfolio is up 7.1%
Hurt by: Apple (largest non fixed/cash holding, up 1.3%), T (-2.7%). Helped by health care (ABT, ABBV, CAH, EW). Since Apple was up 48.4% in 2017, I can't complain too much about it.

Interestingly enough, I found a post I made on the forum from 2012 where I had commented about being at about 67% equities in April 2007, but I had sold them off to where I was 60% equity in December 2007 (but with a higher $ exposure to equities in December 2007 due to the continuing market rally). So far this year I've been slowly nibbling at my equity exposure, but the market rally has offset (and then some) the amount sold.

As of Saturday morning when I added everything up, I'm up almost 5.1% so far in 2018. It almost seems unreal...not even one month into the year, and in raw dollars (not percentage or inflation-adjusted), 2018 is already my 7th best year ever!:dance:

Now, having said that, I hope I didn't jinx it...

FWIW, I've been seriously investing for 20 years now, so my records go back to 1999. My best years have been 2017, 2013, 2009 (mainly because of the bounceback off the Great Recession), 2012, 2010, and 2016.

I realize we all want to share the good news, but dudes and dudettes, January hasn't ended yet! I won't be running my numbers this month, being away from the computer.

Being an active investor, I have to check my portfolio daily. I also keep a diary to log the value of my investable accounts down to the dollar each day.

However, I limit my posts here to once a month. There are only 3 trading days left, and I can wait. :)

Being an active investor, I have to check my portfolio daily. I also keep a diary to log the value of my investable accounts down to the dollar each day.

However, I limit my posts here to once a month. There are only 3 trading days left, and I can wait. :)

I am resisting the urge. >26hrs of trading to go before we report and then me and the fam hop on a Boeing to head to the pacific for some island fun!

Celebrating ole man's retirement. Although I ended up footing the bill for accommodations...and car rental... wait a sec, whose celebrating? He is in 2 comma club, I am on the way. :D

At the start of every year, I input a certain conservative percentage (usually 6% but 7% this year) that I expect/hope the market to do. I then track my weekly progress against that number.

As of today, if the market didn't grow me a single dollar from now until August 17th 2018 I'd still be on track for the year! Of course a lot can still happen in the next 11 months.....

It appears that uncontained exuberance is beginning to seep through.

Are you saying it is not yet soaking wet?

My son-in-law told me that he read on reddit that a young guy withdrew his IRA worth $100K to put it all on bitcoin. The guy said that the market only went up 20% last year and he wanted more.

Back
Top Bottom