2018 YTD investment performance thread

If this were baseball, this month was 5/11 in terms of ranking best to least. That means that basically half of the year I did better than this past month, the other half I did worse.

That's playoff level for some baseball teams lol! above .500

YES He is! NYEXP is always out performing me. :confused: But I am about as passive an investor as they come. I do own some AAPL but I just DCA about 30x throughout the year including all the 401k/403b/Roth/Roth/529/529/Brokerage contributions.

If we end the year below 6% my plan is to front-load contributions in Q1 of next year to buy the dip.

I was tempted to sell everything last month, but decided against it. Saved myself some stress but lost about 12%-24% of opportunity. Meh. Pigs get slaughtered.

Always is a long time, let's just say currently.

My dividend portfolio (which I keep separate from my non-dividend portfolio) is up 2.80% for the year. My biggest loser was Anheuser Busch InBev (BUD). They cut their dividend in half without telling me beforehand.

I wasn't going to look, but curiosity killed the cat. Down 0.49% for the year. Not as horrendous as I expected.

In July, right before I retired, I took some profits and put it in cash and more conservative funds. So, it could have been worse.

Last edited:
Last month it was up 12.9% YTD, this month it is -0.5% YTD. A bit of a rough ride!

Down 1.9% YTD (down 5.4% just in the month of October).

About the same here. I am not unhappy with how well my portfolio is holding up to volatility!!

I have "enough" and just need to hit singles, not home runs. Home runs tend to lead to more strike outs. :facepalm:

I don't know exactly, but it's very bad. I'm not going to check.

^^^ :LOL:
animal-illustration-featuring-ostrich-burying-260nw-785592043.jpg

I can't tell what my IRR is as I don't keep the data to compute it. But, I started the year with $720,663, am now at $860,516 (a $140,853 difference) and I contributed $146,345. I guess that means I lost $5,492 along the way. Maybe I left it under the couch cushions. 60/40

<0.46>% YTD thru October 2018.
72/25/3 (Socks/Bonds/Cash)
Could be a lot worse....looking forward for a Santa Claus rally . :)

Yeah...but if you're going to hold the course anyway, why bother checking? I'm in index funds, with low costs...what am I going to do with performance information? I see my portfolio balance, and I know more or less what the market is doing, by which song I hear more on NPR Marketplace nightly. When it comes time to rebalance, and when to decide my VPW amount for next year, I'll take a closer look at the balance. I know enough not to make any wild splurges right now.

YTD up about 2.5%, sure a bit of a sting from where I was the month prior. But still feeling pretty good overall. Since retiring three years ago, and with what Firecalc said had 100% success for FIRE, my balances are still up more than 16% and that includes w/d for living expenses.

If I exclude my w/d's then I'm up nearly 28%. Would I like more, sure. But I'd be happy to see half of that result for the rest of my retirement :)

I can't tell what my IRR is as I don't keep the data to compute it. But, I started the year with $720,663, am now at $860,516 (a $140,853 difference) and I contributed $146,345. I guess that means I lost $5,492 along the way. Maybe I left it under the couch cushions. 60/40
I also calculate just like you. I maintain my monthly networth snapshot and also monthly salary savings. So I know the history of how my networth has grown and how much I have saved from salary each month.

Up 2.4%

Took a $34,000 hit throughout the month of October...on paper anyway. Oh well...staying the course.

<0.46>% YTD thru October 2018.
72/25/3 (Socks/Bonds/Cash)
Could be a lot worse....looking forward for a Santa Claus rally . :)

I hear ya. More on the SC Rally... Basically if we don't see one this year the more recent odds like 99 and 07 signal longer bears... Or maybe not.

'According to the 2016 Stock Trader's Almanac, since 1969 the Santa Claus rally has yielded positive returns in 34 of the past 45 holiday seasons — the last five trading days of the year and the first two trading days after New Year's. The average cumulative return over these days is 1.4%, and returns are positive in each of the seven days of the rally, on average. Nevertheless, each year there is at least one day of declines.

Interestingly, it's worth noting that things have not been quite so peachy in the more recent history.

Since the early 90's there have been several years when the Santa Claus rally has not been realized, including 1990, 1999, 2004, 2007, and 2014. And if you look at the chart shared by Stone above, you'll notice that the orange line shows the average Santa Claus rally returns for 1999 and 2007 are negative.

And "when the rally is not realized, the New Year is dominated by the bears. For example, the January following the 4% decline in 1999 began a 33-month decline in the S&P 500. Also, the decline in the S&P 500 at the end of 2007 kicked off the second-worst bear market in modern history," Stone observed. '

https://www.businessinsider.com/santa-claus-rally-history-2015-12

AAPL is down 7% after market. Just when things were starting to look good.

In the plus column again. What a difference a day makes.

AAPL is down 7% after market. Just when things were starting to look good.

Looks like they are down 9% off the august 25th highs, but still up +18% ytd. I'll take that during a trade war any day, especially since it's the staple US tech co.

I am up 1.76% as of today. But if I exclude new inflow from my salary savings I am down 4.79%.

Back
Top Bottom