2020 Investment Performance Thread

Total Portfolio Value
YTD Change

(50/45/5 target)
Nov-20 6.21%
YTD 5.67%

American Balanced Fund Class R-6 (RLBGX) is a managed index fund which is similar to our target, and we use it to estimate our portfolio return.
Year-to-Date Return 5.18%
Overall Portfolio Composition (%)
Cash 13.12%
Stocks 54.94%
Bonds 31.08%
Preferred 0.11%
Convertable 0.58%

Attachments

• Clipboard01.png
    Clipboard01.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 45
2020 for me has been an amazing year so far. I am very grateful and humbled by that. My individual stock portfolio is up 550% since the same time last year. All my equity funds are up 15.59% collectively since the same time last year also. All in all, I'm up 62.68% from last year. All the time and effort I've put into the market finally paid off.

10.2 YTD XIRR. 80/20. No market timing throughout all the craziness this year, just deployed whatever cash was in accounts on dips.

Up 8.92%. We are currently 75.8% stocks.
S&P 500 is up 14.14% so something seems askew. We sold all our bonds and bought stocks and CD’s so maybe the timing of that messed us up.

Up 12.63% YTD after 11 months.

Not sure of percentage...would have to factor in contributions vs growth.

In april, I was down $114,000. December 1...up $112,000. Crazy year.

Jan 1 - $639,000
Dec 1 - $751,000

Contributions were somewhere around $12,000.

Up 8.2% YTD, using moneychimp simplification, on a 1/3 bond allocation. I had a big windfall I had to adjust for, so it's probably a few tenths higher. I think that's right...a money chip calculation presumes 1/2 way through the time span, giving the windfall time to earn. But I just got the windfall, no time to earn. Anyway, this thread is all fun and games. Just pleased to be solidly in the plus column for the year :)

Up 6.73% YTD, AA 36/64

Graph shows 11 months of 2020, both monthly growth, and YTD. Given what 2020 has been like, not too bad.....

Attachments

• 2020 Portfolio Growth.jpg
    2020 Portfolio Growth.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Started in March from Prudential 401k to Ira with Fido.March =303106. this morning =381656. so it is up pretty good. Thats just mine but my wife's is similar altho about 100k shy to start, she is happy as well since our SS + pensions have funded us with no withdrawals since we retired in Jan.

Wife came in and said "look at mine too" so i did & her March=198560. her this morning =241385. so about 29% up so hers is invested in a less aggressive mix & I told her we could change hers too but she is happy. So we will just continue to ride along.I was in a stock purchase plan for the 25 yr. I was with Autozone & we bought some Apple about 9 years ago when my SNLaw suggested it that we haven't touched so we have those to keep us happy as well. I really wish I would have known a site like this existed before we got close to retirement but even tho we don't have a lot, thru blind luck and steady saving through our lifetime we will probably be ok and might leave a little for our daughter and granddaughter.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2019 to Dec 1, 2020. It's been a wild ride but the last 12 months have my NW up 25%, about 3% was savings and rest investment returns.

Crazy thing to me is that last month my NW went up by 6 years living expenses! Easy come, easy go in the short term, so not feeling as rich as I look on paper but it is exciting to see my NW jump so much! I'll feel "rich" if in 6-12 months if the market doesn't correct and earnings start to back up the market valuations...

Thanks Street, that made it easier for the rollover... 14.54% That's the way to start retirement! AA is 51.3/8.7/39.9 give or take rounding...

^ I wish you many more 14% plus YTD in the future.

+14.50% as of 11/30/2020
AA : 82/15/3......time to rebalance!!

Up about 9.2% for the year (total portfolio)

AA:

real estate - 70%
equity - roughly 20%
bond/CDs/cash - roughly 6%
alternative (arts, gold, etc) - 4%

Lucky Dude

Up 10.94% YTD as of yesterday...haven't gotten today's returns yet.

I tried to time the exit/entrance back in March/May and didn't so well, from now on, I will let it ride. I lost about 15% gains this year with that strategy (or lack thereof).

Up another 1% to 11.97% from yesterday. I also remembered that I had 10 weeks this year of having no deposits while off work, and also that the company match for my 401K was suspended for 6 months due to company financial reasons....starting back up in January.

I also got no raise, or bonus...so ready to FIRE !

+17.4% in my 401(k), and roughly 15% in my brokerage. Good percentages, just wish I had more money in the market when I did it ;)

My Vanguard account is up 17%, my total networth (not including home) is up 11%.

Wow, we are very close! It's 13.76% for me, also per Money Chimp method. However, I have more stock at 55.75% right now.

It compares very well against the S&P, particularly as I do not have any of the high P/E stocks, or the high flyers with negative E. Even my semiconductor holdings have a lower P/E ratio than the S&P.

Additionally, I have some oil stocks whose poor performance detract quite a bit off the total portfolio return.

Overall, I am happy with what I get.

I was lucky enough to rebalance on March 20th into an additional 100K of stocks per my IPS and that definitely boosted returns. I just rebalanced back to fixed income with 60K just before Thanksgiving.

Back
Top Bottom