2020 Investment Performance Thread

robnplunder

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Wow, what a banner year 2019 was! Everyone was a winner in 2019, some with huge gains. Here's hoping that 2020 will be another positive year.

As before, this thread is about "investment" performance. That is, this thread is more about sharing what investment is working and not working YTD.

... That is, this thread is more about sharing what investment is working and not working YTD.

People just reported their return, but did not share how they made that money. They are either too shy, or do not want to divulge their secret.

At a high view, I have 50% in a small/mid cap index (TSP S fund). The other 50% is spread across 22 monthly/quarterly dividend paying stocks (primarily REITS and BDCs.) I had one that went bankrupt and another 4 that stopped their dividends all together. I tend to be a contrarian but the dividends are currently enough to cover mortgage, insurance, property taxes and utilities. I've had some good calls and some bad calls.

People just reported their return, but did not share how they made that money. They are either too shy, or do not want to divulge their secret.

My portfolio is so spread out, and in many cases probably redundant, that it would be a mess to report what individual investment is doing the best. Plus, any one investment isn't enough to sway my portfolio significantly, one way or another.

However, one thing I did start doing, in 2019, was slowly start investing in an SP500 fund. I figure that, over the long run, the SP500 does pretty well, so might as well just ride it, rather than try and outguess it.

I'd say the biggest loser I had in 2019 was my shares of Boeing common stock. But, over the course of the year, it's still about flat. And most of that is held in an old 401k from my days with that company, and over the year I sold off a bit while it was high, bought back when it was low, balancing between a bond fund and an SP500 fund. So overall, that 401k did fairly well.

I wanted to share the screenshots that show how to use the XIRR function in excel. This is an easy way to track the additions or withdrawals from your investment accounts, and then let excel calculate the performance number. The beginning date and balance is where things are at the 1st of the year. The ending date should be the 31st of December, and the ending balance is whatever the current balance of your accounts are.

Last year it took a few months before there was a general clearing of the air about how these calculations are made. And if I am misunderstanding the calculations, please let me know!

I tried using the moneychimp website, but found excel to be easier to understand. Each month is a copy and paste of previous transactions, add in any new transactions, update the ending balance, and it calculates the value.

Attachments

• XIRR.jpg
    XIRR.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 146

I divulged mine! I own AAPL, and like over 10%+ of the folio is such... not much of a secret. MSFT would be a good one as well.

Speaking of AAPL, it's up to 300! I bought it at 96, not too much of a secret there.

Last edited:
I was joking about people hiding their holdings. ;)

Did anyone else notice what happened today, the first trading day of the year? At 15 minutes before market close, all 3 indices surged up even though they were up all day. And that last-minute surge was with high volume to boot.

It looks like some people were hoping for the market to drop, and when it did not they rushed in to buy at the last minute in fear of missing out. Oh man!

Last edited:
I was joking about people hiding their holdings. ;)

Did anyone else notice what happened today, the first trading day of the year? At 15 minutes before market close, all 3 indices surged up even though they were up all day. And that last-minute surge was with high volume to boot.

It looks like some people were hoping for the market to drop, and when it did not they rushed in to buy at the last minute in fear of missing out. Oh man!

Tip from their hairdresser!

My 401K has a blended U.S. Equity Fund that was up 31.5%, thanks in large part to the top three holdings in Apple, Microsoft, and Amazon. Very happy!

Lotta replies to a YTD performance thread considering the Y is 2 D old.

[emoji3]

Last edited:
Lotta replies to a YTD performance thread considering the Y is 2 D old.

[emoji3]

What do you expect when someone is up 31.5% in one day of trading? :eek:

See the post above yours.

Just joking...

What do you expect when someone is up 31.5% in one day of trading? :eek:

See the post above yours.

Just joking...

And damn, I was only up around 0.78% yesterday. Still, I pretty much "made" my take home pay for about four months, in one day. :dance:

Probably gonna give most of it back today, though.

I made a change over a year ago on my bond/cash portion. I still have a large vwinx holding.
been happy with this. stuff I had before was breaking even.

PIMIX
Fund Performance
Chart for PIMIX
1yr...............3yr..........5yr.............10yr.........since 2007
+6.16% +5.29% +5.12% +8.88% +8.20%

And damn, I was only up around 0.78% yesterday. Still, I pretty much "made" my take home pay for about four months, in one day. :dance:

If it's "most of it", that's not too bad. It may be "all of it, and then some". >:D

PLCGX is up 1.73% already this year. Nailed 30% in 2019 staying in most of the year.

https://www.morningstar.com/funds/xnas/plcgx/quote

Your PLCGX is only up 1.37%. Still very good though.

My son dropped by last evening. Said his AMD position was up 7% or something like that. I just looked, and it's still holding today. Darn!

Last edited:

Cool! Are you still working?

up 0.21% - nothing to brat about. Not seeking for performance but safety. Missed a couple of 30%+ returns since 2009 - not a big deal since accumulation is not the end game. Sorry for being a party p ...

16 days into 2020, 2.13% return. Its weird to realize I've already made enough this year to cover all my expenses for the rest of the year and we are barely two weeks in. Still 90% Equity and Mid Caps are doing well.

Cool! Are you still working?

Yeah, for the time being. I'm trying not to make any sudden moves, although some days it gets hard to find the motivation to come in to work. FWIW, now, instead of 4 months, it looks like my investable assets have "made" about a year and 4 months of my take home pay!

16 days into 2020, 2.13% return. Its weird to realize I've already made enough this year to cover all my expenses for the rest of the year and we are barely two weeks in. Still 90% Equity and Mid Caps are doing well.

I am getting less than the above, but it is still more than my low WR. I am also only 58% in stock.

But then, it is still fresh in my memory what happened in Jan 2018. I got more than 7.3% in just the first 3 weeks of the year. The sectors I had overweighted such as semiconductor, biotech, EM, all surged for some unknown reasons. Unbelievable!

Then, all hell broke loose when a couple of inverse volatility ETFs imploded. Does anyone here remember that?

Many months passed until I regained that high watermark. And it was because of my stock picks. The S&P did not surge that high, and recovered faster. My holdings took longer to recover.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom