2022 Investment Performance Thread

Here's my monthly update...
1/31/2022: -5.07% YTD.
2/28/2022: -7.26% YTD.
3/31/2022: -4.98% YTD.
4/29/2022: -13.11% YTD.

All I can say is, "ouch". But, it could always be worse. There's already been a few times this year that I've been down 10-12%, although the month end total sort of makes it more "official" looking.

Normally, April is a good month. I looked at my records, and the last time April was a down month for me was in 2016, but that was in insignificant amount, like 0.2%. This is a bit over an 8% drop over the month before, for me. Still not anything to panic about, but historically, it's the worst April I've ever had. Hopefully May is better. Although with the way things are looking, I might have to make about 7-8% just to break even with inflation!

But interestingly, my AA is largely intact.
That's the problem... people get cold feet and sell every asset class. If only there was something uncorrelated.

I can't report accurately until the monthly interest posts. Not that it will be more than a rounding error with the movement of the equities market.

Down 11.5% YTD as of 4/30/2022 with a 53/47 AA.

Last edited:
Investments -10.4% YTD, -5.9% in April. AA 74/20/6. Rough month.

Down 13.8% YTD, -9.9% in April. AA 80/20. April couldn't end fast enough. I plan to stand pat and maybe pray a little more often. May might be a rough month also.

Looks like -2.4% YTD. I was off camping in an area with bad cell coverage so no hotspot internet access when my preferreds were tanking and lost a little there and my SPY 2023 and 2024 LEAP calls have lost a lot value YTD due to stock market declines.

AA is probably along the lines of 35/65 but it is a little hard to measure because of the SPY calls. Portfolio Visualizer indicates a 35/65 index portfolio lost 11.2% YTD so I'm happy to only be down 2.4%.

UP 0.72% YTD.

That's with 25% equities and the rest a mix of cash, and T Bills.

Energy stocks and an energy ETF keeps me even (XOM, WMB, EPD, FENY).

Remember, I don't have decades to wait to get back to even or ahead. I'll be 79 in a few months. My best friend died two weeks ago and another a year older had a devastating stroke last November. Both were active member of our golf group.

Last edited:
Down 12.5% on 75/25 AA. No plans to change things.

What is your AA?

100% stocks. 940 shares of LLY helps.

Also O,TEF,BP,XOM,PEP,PG,ABBV,EXC,MO,BAC,WFC

Last year was up 38%. Obviously with these I underperformed a good bit in previous years.

That's my main account. A second account I opened in 2020 and bought 45K of SBUX at 54 in March, and 45K of BTI in Nov of '21. Got it at 34.35.

Last edited:
I guess no one is rushing in to report April YTD results :)

April was a horrible month for me.

I went from -0.87% YTD at the end of March to -8.26% as of tonight. And that was with a relatively low equity exposure.

I had been trying to increase my equity exposure by shopping the "bargains" in the tech growth sector (a.k.a. falling knives). So despite the huge hit, my equity percentage actually went up by a little under 1%. I guess you could say that I am rebalancing :)

Bit tricky since I'm still working and adding to my retirement accounts and other investments, but roughly +5% YTD with my real estate assets including income up 13% and everything else down about 12%. Total NW up 9% YTD including new w2 income. April was a great month for real estate...not so good for stocks and bonds. I'm overweight RRE (55%) with 35% stocks and 10% bonds/gold/silver/etc.

Last edited:
Jan: -8.62% as interest rates are on the move, FOMC rate hike talk, Ukrainian invasion fears, and Omicron Virus continues to run rampant.
Feb: -11.48% What goes up, must come down? Lots of uncertainty, I know I am feeling the same as the market. A sad month for some indeed as the war machine moves on. If I look at the longer term 8yr avg it makes me "feel better' averaging +27% returns.
Mar: -9% This time isn't different Was a fun little "whee" ride this month
Apr: -19.66% Ready for us to move forward, instead of two steps back

Down 11.48% YTD on a 85/15 AA. Bought VTI on Apr 25th, but that was a falling knife. I think I’ll just sit on my hands for a bit.

Our non-cash position is down 7.02%, and that is almost all bond funds. I have never seen anything like this in the 15 or so years we've been invested this way. I hate this planet. No joke.

We currently have a sizable (and stupid!) cash position earning mostly MM/low CD rates, so overall we're down 2.9%. Yes, I did say "stupid". The only consolations are having a WR less than 0.5% and only one SS payout between the two of us.

Last edited:
Here's my monthly update...

4/29/2022: -13.11% YTD.

All I can say is, "ouch". But, it could always be worse.

How about this for worse, -13.7%:dance:
Not really sure this is exact, since it is based on balances YTD from PC, but it includes all my call positions which show some negative value, but really will disappear as they expire and we go into recession:popcorn:

I’m also working and adding, but I estimate -5% YTD. Equities now up to 54%.

The sucky thing is VTI is down 15.23% from its all time high and BND is down 14.83% from its all time high. At least you don't have to rebalance.

I’m at about minus 7% YTD. I’m 40% equities. I guess my bond funds aren’t doing too bad. Any way you look at it, YTD sucks and April was brutal. I hope things are ready to improve.

The sucky thing is VTI is down 15.23% from its all time high and BND is down 14.83% from its all time high. At least you don't have to rebalance.

Wow, that's worse than people realize.

I don't have much bond, only stock and cash. And I have been rebalancing, half intentionally via selling puts. Stock AA almost 75%.

I don't have anything to complain about, given that I am down only 9.5% so far from my personal high reached just a month ago on March 29th.

YTD, I am down -7.47% as reported earlier.

Last edited:
Down -8.05% ytd. About 70% equity, very little bond.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm taking some comfort in seeing that almost everyone here is within the same range. I'm not alone in my -7.4% YTD performance and this is an extremely savy group! At least I know that I'm not out in the weeds by myself having made some bad decisions.

Down 10.64% YTD through April (includes deposits) but would have been down 12.34% if no deposits.

And, yes, I'm still retiring this year!

Cheers,
Big-Papa

Last edited:
Our increase from April 1990 balance is 2715.17%.
We'll be ok. <g>

Back
Top Bottom