2022 Investment Performance Thread

ok i guess I'll play.

Fidelity says -11.35% YTD, using Bogle three fund except for FAGIX as 30% of bond portion. 54 Stock 46 Bonds.

Lost 17K Friday ;-)

So here's one BAD thing about retiring from Fed Gov. I Can't buy any TSP at these lows to then use 10 years from now for RMD. My 12 month PIP for TSP is 4.09% so that's good .

We don't need any money from our IRA's so it's just a curiosity for me....

Last edited:
Doing nothing a watching the action is sometimes a good strategy in times like this. :cool:
I tally performance with Excel quarterly, and glance at the number. Nothing (so far since 1987) has made me change my AA…and it’s paid off so far. I have zero interest in short term performance.

Down 8.3% on 4/29/2022 on 50% stocks.

Still up 8% from 1/1/2021 balance.

Last edited:
YTD down ~10% on a 60/40 portfolio, 60% of which is composed mainly of index funds/ETFs. I refuse to lose any sleep over the gyrations of the market as I've been to this dance many times before.

Wow, that's worse than people realize.

I don't have much bond, only stock and cash. And I have been rebalancing, half intentionally via selling puts. Stock AA almost 75%.

I don't have anything to complain about, given that I am down only 9.5% so far from my personal high reached just a month ago on March 29th.

YTD, I am down -7.47% as reported earlier.

I just looked at the data from 1871 on and this type of triple witching does not happen that often: 1899, 1917, 1946. Interestingly, it did not happen in the 70's or 80's.

Down 8.8%, all-in on 2/3 equities. Sizable ballast in the stable value fund prevented me from taking as much of a hit on the 'bond allocation'.

Nothing crossed the AA error bars except the bond allocation. So it's calling for selling off some of the SVF and buying equities. I'm not sure I'll take the bait quite yet, though.

YTD down 10.2% on 65/45. My clever plan at this point is to do nothing.

The sucky thing is VTI is down 15.23% from its all time high and BND is down 14.83% from its all time high. At least you don't have to rebalance.

A couple more data points: the venerable Wellesley is down -8.2% YTD, while Wellington is down -12.7% YTD. Dodge and Cox Balanced is down -7.5% YTD, and Fidelity Balanced down -12.41% YTD.

-9.08% on 55/45. Canadian stocks are still positive (but barely) due to 40% in telecom and energy.

A couple more data points: the venerable Wellesley is down -8.2% YTD, while Wellington is down -12.7% YTD. Dodge and Cox Balanced is down -7.5% YTD, and Fidelity Balanced down -12.41% YTD.
Thanks for those. And after last week, they're probably hurting even more.

On 63/7/30 AA:

Jan YTD -4.43%
Feb YTD -6.28%
Mar YTD -4.96%
Apr YTD -11.24%

-8.69% YTD with AA of 80/8/12.

Fidelity shows the S&P 500 down 12.92% YTD so I'm beating the benchmark :(

BrianB

OMG. Not panicked or overly concerned but just noticed that I'm backed up to my June 2020 balance! Down 9.3% YTD.

Finally got the $ from our RV sale, just put it right into our index fund. Probably jumped the gun when it comes to 'buying the dip' exactly, but that's the way it goes. Can't imagine this will last much longer than the initial COVID dip...

YTD as of 4-29

Equities down 7.8%
Bonds down 8.4%

So much for bonds being more stable than stocks eh?

HenryD; said:
I hope you are right and I am wrong, but I don't agree with you. Feels more like 2000 than 2008 or 2020 to me.

I agree. This seems like a longer term bear market to me. Glad we have a decent cash nest egg.

I'm so mad I decided to LTBH

Yes I know it's emotion. But Im unhappy with myself for "holding" when I've always believed paper assets - are subject to 50% funny-money status. Over the decades I watched my businesses and real estat4 grow - as every few years the geniuses would be saying "I harvested tax losses" and "I did dollar cost averaging" - celebrating that an investment went down in value. Investment clubs.

But when I retired 1.5 years ago I told myself. LTBH. Historically it seems , things go up. All last year..... 3 times I had wild swings - -and each of those times I didn't panic and things came back higher than before.

YTD: 5 years living expenses in CASH: Experts say I'm losing money but ya know what? It's 0% loss year to date - and it's there. Yeah ok, my Quarter Pounder will cost a a buck more next month. Fine.

Rental Homes: Rents come in early so far. Values- thus far are going up and sas of last week - homes in the same subdivisions are selling within 5 days - mind you, there hasn't been enough time to digest internet hikes. but, between rent and appreciation - easily up 8% YTD

Stocks: 'Im embarrassed - I'm down 11% YTD.

ONE thing is for sure. I veered from my discipline in that I started out wanting to do JUST true Blue Chips and Dividend Aristocrats. Stocks I see in my fridge and cupboard. I was even ok with Google-Apple-MSFt because I felt - and still feel - they own the human race, literally own them. So of course, those tech blue chips have come down- fine. But some other stuff I dallied in came down hard -- - not ARKK stuff but things like NVDA. Even safer regional banks have been tough.

SOME things I did right: I stayed out of Netflix and Disney. I decided the streamers can all eat themselves into an oblivion till they figure out to just bundle all the streaming - - -and call it Cable TV. So I'm a buyer of Disney these days - -.

Once I'm done being mad I'm thinking to just solely do stuff like SDY, DVY. KO, AAPL, PEP, PG, MCD.

And instead of watching talking heads about the. new company that is gonna inject something up my rear end and turn me into a virile good looking guy (which even God couldn't do) - -I'm still gonna ignore it.

I think I'm gonna play poker twice a week and eat more food for fun. The kind that comes out of bags at the drive thru and tastes amazing. Take more walks too.

Rant over.

Was going to post about 3.5 weeks ago but we took our 5 year old grandson to Pinnacles for his birthday, then I didn't get caught up.
We're down almost 11% as of today; bond haven't helped, much, but cash has helped. (I think we're only down 6% year over year which is just a flesh wound, to quote Monty Python).

I used about 15% of cash to buy stock funds today, like I did during the January slump (was it January?). Given the stock collapse, my cash % had gone back to where it was before. I try to buy at 6-8% down points since I hold cash. Hopefully, I won't have to keep using up cash--at some point.

But since the Fed is in raising mode, I think we have some more stock and bond pain ahead of us, but what do I know? (Nothing).

I maintain a focused dividend growth stock portfolio in a taxable account, which is the bulk of my invested assets, supplemented by a Vanguard TIRA and my wife's and my Roths. These assets are all US stocks/funds, denominated in USD. Virtually all of our expenses are in Swiss Francs (CHF).

Performance YTD: -6.7%
Dividend Growth YTD: +1.58%
USD/CHF FX Rate YTD: +9.8% (helps to counterbalance US inflation rate)

-BB

Back
Top Bottom