2022 Investment Performance Thread

We are 80-20, cash not included in mix, and we are down 6%. We have enough cash and annual dividends/interests to last us for many years.

Not loving the down turn since I sent in my letter of resignation on 1/12, last day is 1/26. Can I get a recall on that letter?[emoji23]

Last edited:
I am greedy, and I do ask for more. Like a few sets of wheels, and some booze to wash the food down.

Lemme check. I still have 3 cars and a motorhome. And my booze cabinet still has the 50 bottles of spirit or so from the last time I counted (to make a post on a recent booze thread). I have fewer than 2 dozen bottles on the wine rack.

And as my wife emptied out the freezer of the main fridge for me to replace the defrost heater just now, I counted 5 NY steaks, and numerous other meat and seafood portions. Hmmm... I guess the lamb racks and lamb shanks must be out in the auxiliary fridge in the utility room.

Your set Brother!
We can be a greedy bunch but really it comes down to health and just the essentials of life for me. I have a lot but only need a little to be so happy and content. That is why we have money because we need so little (frugal).

It's not about needs, it's about wants - :)

My first week this year, was the best first week ever.
Then came FED and most positions stopped going up.
I don't know exactly what my performance is.

My assets are distributed among banks and accounts.

Best stocks for the moment: PBR, VALE
Worst investment since begin of the year: TKA (DE000750000)
I think I'm somewhere between +1 and +3%

Once a quarter, I'm doing the number crunching.
Haven't done the numbers for last year yet.

Most positions are so called value stocks, some dividend paying ETF on regions or sectors

I should have sold Greek Government Bonds.

It's not about needs, it's about wants - :)

True that.

At some point, I will want not a boat but a nice class B RV. Right now, I still want some more money. It's to show to myself I can conquer greed and fear as an investor.

I still remember in an interview with Soros, Bartiromo asked him why he still wanted more money which he could not spend. Soros said that it was to show that he could still understand how the world worked.

And Soros was a billionaire, while I am still trying to figure out how this stock market works.

I didn't see an investment performance thread for 2022. The last two were started by robnplunder, but he hasn't posted since November, so I thought I'd get the ball rolling because.....

As of the middle of January, the S&P 500 is DOWN 2.74% (based on quick math on VFINX), and I thought it might be interesting to see how far down most of us are, and give those who are holding cash a little bit of bragging space :cool: Maybe we should have a contest for who is the farthest down and when they get above water. And of course we'll make note of those who are conspicuous by their absence :LOL:

Personally, I'm down 1.9%, all-in, spend adjusted with about 2/3 equities.

This year I'm going to try something different on spend adjusting. Earlier, I had taken the annual expected spend amount, divided it by 365, then multiplied it by the number of days so far in the year. But yesterday I wrote a program that attempts to tally just the appropriate actual spending (and ignore the transfers) out of my accounting system. We'll see how that works. Easy to manually examine, as there are of course only 15 days so far. We'll see if this holds-up, or is too much trouble.

For continuity, last year's thread is here: https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/2021-investment-performance-thread-107177.html
Just a note about thread drift. Not wanting to interfere with the ongoing discussion, but there are other threads about individual stocks, dips, and what I'm buying. I think the original intent of this topic in past years was an interesting one. At the end of each month members logged their investment accounts and computed investment performance year-to-date. So it was a monthly YTD thread. Of course there were follow-up conversations to ease the pain or share the joy.

It's fine with me if it becomes something else. There are probably no rules written down about this in any of the past years, so "whatever" is fine with me.

Cheers!

Good point, target2019, especially early in the year.

I remember someone took the time to plot returns vs asset allocation one year, it was interesting. That would be very difficult to do in a thread that combined data with various ramblings.

^^ I agree the thread has got off track from what from original purpose of thread was at one time.

^ true, lol, and I have to raise my hand as being a guilty one on some those derailments myself.

I have less cash than I started the year with due to some travel expenditures extending into next year.
Typically in this thread, people adjust for spending since it's an "investment performance" thread. Given the simplicity of using just two values to do the calculation (all accounts balance sum on 12/31 and all accounts sum today) I think some people just do that. For those who make an annual pull for spending, adjusting doesn't add much complexity.

Just a note about thread drift. Not wanting to interfere with the ongoing discussion, but there are other threads about individual stocks, dips, and what I'm buying. I think the original intent of this topic in past years was an interesting one. At the end of each month members logged their investment accounts and computed investment performance year-to-date. So it was a monthly YTD thread. Of course there were follow-up conversations to ease the pain or share the joy...

To me, this is still the official monthly YTD investment return thread.

But, today is just Jan 23, yet some posters are eager to share their "pain".

And I am holding fast for one more week, so just BS'sing here while marking time.

To me, this is still the official monthly YTD investment return thread.

But, today is just Jan 23, yet some posters are eager to share their "pain".

And I am holding fast for one more week, so just BS'sing here while marking time.

Wait until the market drops 20% more and there will be less discussion here in this thread.

Wait until the market drops 20% more and there will be less discussion here in this thread.

There would be fewer posts, but viewership would go way up. :)

Correction or bear?

8.3% down on SPY - I think we'll get to a 20% correction on SPY unfortunately and probably closer to 30-40% on Nasdaq (worst case) such that a lot of the pandemic rise in stocks will deflate temporarily but disruptive innovation isn't going away, just some mean reversion especially on VUG and QQQ.

We've only had 4 years in a row of 20% gains in SPY once and last time the 4th year was 1999. We've had 3 so far (2019, 2020, 2021) and I'm betting 2022 will NOT be a 20%+ rise.

Thoughts?

Down 6.97% YTD with AA of 82/18. Actually surprised it wasn't much more as I'm heavily invested in Vanguard's S&P 500 Index Fund in my IRA.

Started drawing SS in Dec which with my microscopic pension now provides all my income needs so no longer withdrawing from Retirement Funds. I need to do a ROTH conversion for 2022 but think I'll wait a little longer to see if I can get more bang for my buck.

I'm down 5% YTD with and AA 65/35. I'm not yet taking any funds, due to age. I have 4 more years.

As of today, 23-Jan-22, we are down 3.8%

Asset Allocation is approximately 50% equities & 50% Bonds

But we do include about 3 to 5% Cash in with the Bonds.

Last edited:
Mean Reversion - vindicates Buffet and BRK.B

“Mean reversion” at work now.

ARKK is purple line, BRK.B is blue line and SPY is yellow line….folks said Buffett was missing out on tech plays and was trailing SPY, he's still trailing SPY by a few hundred basis points for last few years…..for now, but turns out Cathy Wood was just selling old wine in new bottles, she's the new JANUS TECH FUND - ouch, I got burned a little bit have to admit

Attachments

• IMG_7657.jpg
    IMG_7657.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 76
According to Quicken I'm down 1.7% on a 50/45/5 as of market closing on 1/24/22.

Down about 6%, 60% stocks, Of course my husband just retired 2 weeks ago at 58 when the Market went down hill. I retired last year and didn't affect my accounts. Its not a great feeling seeing the red everyday but I feel prepared as accounts that are higher risk were bucketed for use in the longterm future!

Back
Top Bottom