Join Early Retirement Today

2022 Investment Performance Thread
Old 01-15-2022, 10:12 AM   #1

I didn't see an investment performance thread for 2022. The last two were started by robnplunder, but he hasn't posted since November, so I thought I'd get the ball rolling because.....

As of the middle of January, the S&P 500 is DOWN 2.74% (based on quick math on VFINX), and I thought it might be interesting to see how far down most of us are, and give those who are holding cash a little bit of bragging space Maybe we should have a contest for who is the farthest down and when they get above water. And of course we'll make note of those who are conspicuous by their absence

Personally, I'm down 1.9%, all-in, spend adjusted with about 2/3 equities.

This year I'm going to try something different on spend adjusting. Earlier, I had taken the annual expected spend amount, divided it by 365, then multiplied it by the number of days so far in the year. But yesterday I wrote a program that attempts to tally just the appropriate actual spending (and ignore the transfers) out of my accounting system. We'll see how that works. Easy to manually examine, as there are of course only 15 days so far. We'll see if this holds-up, or is too much trouble.

For continuity, last year's thread is here: https://www.early-retirement.org/for...ad-107177.html
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2022, 10:44 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was up about 2/3 of the S&P's gain last year and I am down about 2/3 of the S&P's loss this year so far, so math checks out

I would expect those who reported beating the S&P last year are losing the most this year unless they are just super great market timers lol.
Fermion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 10:50 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for starting a new thread! I sent a message to robnplunder but haven’t gotten a reply. I hope he’s OK. I’m so used to seeing his name on these threads that I didn’t want to interrupt. I’m glad you did.

Also, nice work providing the link to the 2021 edition. [emoji4]

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 11:43 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Down 1.72% YTD.
5Miler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 12:08 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Down 2.3% so far on ~92% stocks. If history repeats, we should see a boost after Jan. 20 or so.
ATXFIRE2034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 01:33 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Down 1.17% YTD, 60% stocks.
Born2Fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 01:39 PM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Down 1.5%. 80% stocks. Confused about inflation protected bonds being down, too. Much to learn! Thank you for starting the thread.
Puzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 02:30 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I track Net Worth so includes spending and modest investment income. Up 1.9% YTD. 70% equities.
53anddone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 02:32 PM   #9

We are down a little more than I like, -3% YTD. 86% equities.

My "bond" allocation is in SWAN down 3.7%, Blue Chip Growth down 6.7% and Select Medical Eq down nearly 11%, are the major loosers dragging us down a rat hole with the techs.

I was not too surprised by the drop in SWAN and I believe long term those Blue Chips and Medical techs will be OK, not great so I have been adjusting my allocations to value and small cap/international using Avantis and DFA funds. Those loyal to the VG Wells, should be happy right now.
Happyras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 02:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53anddone View Post
I track Net Worth so includes spending and modest investment income. Up 1.9% YTD. 70% equities.
I guess I would add that if I considered all of our non-retirement investments, corp notes, rentals ect, we too would be up....a lot.
Happyras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 04:03 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

What? People have lost money so far this year? If so, then why so anxious to report it instead of waiting for the month end?

Somebody here makes money, but he does not want to brag in fear of jinxing it.

Heh heh heh ...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 04:33 PM   #12

Up roughly 3+% from gains in/sale of RE offsetting loss in equity.

AA: 75% RE, 21% equity, 3% cash/bonds, 1% alternative.

DW also received a six-figure year-end bonus from her job so that bumped up overall NW.
luckydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 04:38 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

NW-Bound you always make money even when everyone else loses money. Lol

Good for you and you spend time at it every day, so your time put in has paid you back. I'm the lazy investor so it never pays as well as an active investor.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 04:50 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
NW-Bound you always make money even when everyone else loses money. Lol

I wish that were true.

In an up market, I try not to trail behind too much. Usually, in a down market, I try to lose less than it. I have been lucky since the start of the year, but with only 2 weeks going, why gloat?

I have been around long enough to know the market can turn on a dime. One should never offend the market god.

Quote:
Good for you and you spend time at it every day, so your time put in has paid you back. I'm the lazy investor so it never pays as well as an active investor.

Being active does not guarantee more money.

So far so good. The option strategy that I have been practicing has not been tested in a bear market. We will see.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 04:59 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I started the year off really well, buying Ford and Exxon at $19 and $61 respectively but alas my tiny buys were not enough to offset the "smart" ownership of the S&P500 index fund in our main accounts.
Fermion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 05:00 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Only down 1.0%, 60/40 AA..

Ex-US and small cap value have lessened the damage.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 05:13 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

IRA's: Up a couple of percent due to my energy exposure of 18% (XOM, FENY, EPD, KMI (preferred). My preferred collection of 8 stocks is holding it's own. SCHB is down a little, maybe 2% YTD.

I have no bonds as I recently sold all my VWITX in my brokerage account and have not replaced it. Did this before interest rates go up and take away a multi-year capital gain.

It's too early in the new year to make any real performance claims.
Old 01-15-2022, 05:30 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

NW-Bound you do well, and I applaud your growth. Maybe not always productive but you are hands on every day and seems to work well for you.

I just looked and I'm ~1.7 down. In 15 days, I would be down one year's salary from my last year of work. Lol
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 06:15 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Down 1.25. Would have been a bit more but one of DW's 401Ks was liquidated and moving to Schwab during a down week and missed the fall.
Old 01-16-2022, 07:21 AM   #20

Up 3.2% (55% equities) - primarily due to energy slant (OKE, KMI,VDE) which has more than offset drop in VTI.
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote