2022 Tax Program Deals

So this thread has me thinking should I even pay for software? Last couple years I used H&R on sale from Amazon after Tax Act got way too expensive. I'm really not brand loyal. Is there any compelling reason to pay and not use FreeTaxUSA or one of the IRS Free File partners? My AGI will be well under their stated thresholds if there are no "gotchas." I'll pretty much have LTCG, a bit of div and interest, and small amount of self-employment without any deductions.

I was Fido Private client group and never got an offer. I checked my Amazon history and I’ve been picking up TT premiere for around $48 plus a free $10 Amazon gift card around the end of December. That is good enough for me. This is the last year for premiere as I’ve retired and gotten rid of all my MLP units that were part of my annual bonus. I’ve got to go through that tax exercise one last time and then it will be simple filing.

If you are an Office 365 user, which I am, last year I picked up a 15 month renewal subscription of Office 365 + H&R Block Federal +State for $69.99 + tax. Office 365 had been costing me $105/yr not including H&R Block in previous years, so I'm looking for a similar Black Friday deal this year.

So this thread has me thinking should I even pay for software? Last couple years I used H&R on sale from Amazon after Tax Act got way too expensive. I'm really not brand loyal. Is there any compelling reason to pay and not use FreeTaxUSA or one of the IRS Free File partners? My AGI will be well under their stated thresholds if there are no "gotchas." I'll pretty much have LTCG, a bit of div and interest, and small amount of self-employment without any deductions.

I think the only trick with the free sw via the gov't site, is the companies work hard to trick a person into upgrading to a paid version.

I personally haven't used it, as I go and do some other peoples returns with my laptop so I want the download version of HR Block. I usually get it Fed and State for $20 so it's worth it at that price for me.

I always wait til around Black Friday for the HRB $19.95 deal at Amazon for the download version (includes State). Probably qualify for FIDO TT but don't want to change over since I always import from previous year. Don't know if converting to TT would be any advantage.

I really don't have a problem paying for TT but it does "bug" me that it's not even tax deductible anymore... If they didn't make the tax codes so F^%&$^ complicated, we wouldn't need a computer program to figure and file.

It does include state, but nobody really knows what the criteria are for the free software from FIDO. You can find many threads from past years discussing this, but no solid answer. For a given account value (usually considered Private Client level), some get it and others don't. Best thing to do is to ask your advisor there, but as mentioned above it most likely won't become available for some time yet. I remember once it was even delayed until January.

With the markets generally down this year, I suspect some clients who have qualified for it in past years will fall off the list, whatever those qualifications might be. It is sad that my "person" doesn't take the time to send me a note mentioning it is out there for my use. I have to find out when it is available from this site. Thanks for that all. OTOH, while nice to get freebies, how does buying it outright really affect one's assets? Still, I'll wait for the 2022 thread to wake up and get mine.

The annual chase to save a few pennies on tax software begins :dance:. I used camelcamelcamel.com to put a price watch on TurboTax Deluxe for Mac and H&R Block Premium & Business (PC-only).

After busting my A to get my dad's 2021 tax returns done using TurboTax, I tried the TurboTax state e-file option for the first time ($25 / state; 3 flyover states). No problems whatsoever. So, for 2022 I'm going to state e-file both my personal returns (3 states) and also my dad's 2022 state returns. Now I'm spoiled: Intuit will get a little richer and the state tax folks won't have to deal with paperwork - it's a win for everyone. :popcorn:

I really don't have a problem paying for TT but it does "bug" me that it's not even tax deductible anymore... If they didn't make the tax codes so F^%&$^ complicated, we wouldn't need a computer program to figure and file.

It is tax deductible, just have really low income, or a LOT of deductions:

You may be able to deduct tax software. Tax preparation software is a miscellaneous itemized deduction. To take the tax preparation deduction, both of these must apply:

You itemize your deductions.
Your deductions total more than 2% of your adjusted gross income (AGI).

You may be able to deduct tax software. Tax preparation software is a miscellaneous itemized deduction. To take the tax preparation deduction, both of these must apply:

I just looked at TT for 2022 and I see it as a line item :facepalm:. I could have swore it was gone/missing the last few years... Well that may save me a few more bucks. :)

I just looked at TT for 2022 and I see it as a line item :facepalm:. I could have swore it was gone/missing the last few years... Well that may save me a few more bucks. :)

it was gone in 2021 and prior. I have no idea how it returned since the law was not changed.

Now that's how I remember it...

I think all the 2% threshold stuff got nuked with TCJA in 2017. There are a very limited number of miscellaneous items allowed on Schedule A now. Claim of Right being one of them.

I was just thinking that darn I missed this deduction last year because we itemized.

Then I remembered we got 2021 TT for free! :facepalm:

Ive always used HR Block Deluxe and had no issues with filing Schedules D and E. Now their website suggests I have to buy their Premium Edition.

If anyone has HR Block Deluxe 2022, can you let me know if it is still supporting Schedules D and E? Hate to buy it and find out it doesn’t. I know I can upgrade, but I’ve been playing with FreeTaxUSA and may consider switching to that. Not sure I want to pay $70 for the HR Block Premium version.

I think all the 2% threshold stuff got nuked with TCJA in 2017. There are a very limited number of miscellaneous items allowed on Schedule A now. Claim of Right being one of them.

Agree with this.

I think the reference about misc itemized deductions in post #38 is from an out-of-date source.

It’s always bugged me that the IRS doesn’t offer free filing software for everyone. Seems like that would encourage electronic filing, which saves them having to deal with paper and humans. My return is simple enough that I’ve been tempted to skip the TT or HRB software and file paper out of principle, but I’ve gotten spoiled by the e-file processing time.

Ive always used HR Block Deluxe and had no issues with filing Schedules D and E. Now their website suggests I have to buy their Premium Edition.

If anyone has HR Block Deluxe 2022, can you let me know if it is still supporting Schedules D and E? Hate to buy it and find out it doesn’t. I know I can upgrade, but I’ve been playing with FreeTaxUSA and may consider switching to that. Not sure I want to pay $70 for the HR Block Premium version.

It's very common for HR Block to suggest a person needs the more advanced versions but it's really the interview help that is different, not the actual forms.

They say deluxe has those 2 schedules (I have rentals and use the deluxe).

https://www.hrblock.com/tax-software/deluxe-tax-software/#

Click on link: Tech specs
On popup click on Federal forms

See all the forms in the list.

My return is simple enough that I’ve been tempted to skip the TT or HRB software and file paper out of principle, but I’ve gotten spoiled by the e-file processing time.

I used to file paper even though I used software. Then I filed for 2019 anticipating a large refund. You know what happened that year. I waited and waited and waited... and finally my brother the hotshot tax accountant told me to go ahead and e-file even though you weren't supposed to file both. The refund arrived a few weeks later.

One year I tried to do a state return on paper since I worked in one and lived in another. I thought it was the simpler one but it had some "mini-worksheets" and "gotchas" that I missed and I underpaid.

I swear the lawmakers don't worry about making the tax laws messy because the software handles it. Most of the time.

Tech Specs on HRB site says a mac requires MacOS 10.15 or higher. I'm still on 10.13 and can't go higher. Wonder if that is really a deal breaker.

Back
Top Bottom