2022 Tax Program Deals

Tech Specs on HRB site says a mac requires MacOS 10.15 or higher. I'm still on 10.13 and can't go higher. Wonder if that is really a deal breaker.

Theoretically, many programs would probably be able to run on an older OS version just fine.

Practically speaking, software developers and testers don't want to support older versions (it's a hassle). So when the program loads and initializes, it'll often just do an OS version check and should gracefully quit.

If you were able to run the software in a debugger and short circuit the version test, you'd know for sure.

It's very common for HR Block to suggest a person needs the more advanced versions but it's really the interview help that is different, not the actual forms.

They say deluxe has those 2 schedules (I have rentals and use the deluxe).

https://www.hrblock.com/tax-software/deluxe-tax-software/#

Click on link: Tech specs
On popup click on Federal forms

See all the forms in the list.

THANK you! Much appreciated!

It’s always bugged me that the IRS doesn’t offer free filing software for everyone. Seems like that would encourage electronic filing, which saves them having to deal with paper and humans. My return is simple enough that I’ve been tempted to skip the TT or HRB software and file paper out of principle, but I’ve gotten spoiled by the e-file processing time.

I was told it’s either a non compete agreement the irs has with the software providers or something else in place that the irs can not offer free filing for everyone in order for the software companies to offer electronic filing.

I’m thinking of moving from my current broker back to Fidelity. This got me thinking that I should ask for the tax program as a perk for moving. I’m sure I won’t have enough of a total balance to get their attention, but maybe at transfer time they’ll do it. Worth a try.
I've moved money to Schwab recently and they offered me a cash bonus of $350 for $250k to $499,999, $700 for $500k to $999,999 and $1,500 for $1M or more.

You can buy many years of TT for $350 to $1,500.

I've moved money to Schwab recently and they offered me a cash bonus of $350 for $250k to $499,999, $700 for $500k to $999,999 and $1,500 for $1M or more.

You can buy many years of TT for $350 to $1,500.

Thanks. I didn’t know the dollars they offered, but I was aware they did offer cash incentives. I was thinking that TT could be an add on in my discussion with them. At my account value, coming in is about the only time I’d get their attention.

For those interested, TurboTax Deluxe 'download' version ( with Fed & State ) is currently selling for $39.99 at the link below ...use code NOV22 to knock it down to $36

Various tax software guides say you need TT Premier for Sched D, rental property, etc ...but Deluxe download version has all you need.

https://softwarediscountusa.com/tur...urbotax-deluxe-state-2022-download-p-381.html
Not an authorized seller. You might be getting a pirated copy or you might be getting something that puts malware on your PC, or captures info you enter.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-su...uthentic-turbotax-programs/L1yYfitCw_US_en_US

Is it really worth saving $10 or $20 to take such a chance? Not to mention it's not a legal copy.

I was told it’s either a non compete agreement the irs has with the software providers or something else in place that the irs can not offer free filing for everyone in order for the software companies to offer electronic filing.

I heard the irs was discussing making free software, and the tax software companies offered theirs for free, which kills any political will to have the irs do it.
So as long as companies provide it free, there is not enough political votes to spend 10s of millions of dollars making a gov't version.

Considering a person can do it with less than $73K AGI, it does provide a solution for quite a few folks.

https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

I paid $32.50 for H&R Block Premium via download at Walmart each year on November 28th for the previous two years. I'm guessing this year it will be at a higher cost and a day or so earlier (Black Friday weekend deals).

Like many on this thread, I use TT because it has all of my history. If I can find a discount, I’ll take it. I’m no longer a fan of the design though. I’ve used it since it was basically just a spreadsheet of the IRS forms. It’s been dumbed down so much, it’s harder to figure out IMHO. And you’re asked to choose a version at the start instead of pricing at the end based on entries. Last, all of that up sell stuff at the end that they make seem like requirements, where your info gets shared with 3rd parties - just feels sleazy. But I’ll still fork over my $75 or whatever the fee is. Sure beats the days of a scratch pad and calculator!

It’s always bugged me that the IRS doesn’t offer free filing software for everyone. Seems like that would encourage electronic filing, which saves them having to deal with paper and humans. My return is simple enough that I’ve been tempted to skip the TT or HRB software and file paper out of principle, but I’ve gotten spoiled by the e-file processing time.
If your return is that simple and you don't want the software help, then I would recommend using Free File at the IRS website. Even for larger incomes it is electronic filing for free. However, it provide no real preparation help and really only does some basic math for you. If you're interested in processing time, my refund hit my saving account on 2/7 this year, so it is fast.

Another free option is AARP Foundation Tax Aide. They have limitations for what scope of return they can prepare, but they can do a surprisingly wide range of returns.

There is no charge. You're not required to be an AARP member, or of any age. They can prepare federal and state, and e-file for you, usually while you wait and usually in about an hour, and will provide hardcopy printouts of your tax returns. If you're nice, they may even provide some advice or suggestions regarding how to reduce your tax liability.

And if you do like I did and become a volunteer, not only do you get to prepare other people's taxes for free, you also can do your own and any friends and family member returns for free as well.

VITA is another similar program.

Another free option is AARP Foundation Tax Aide. They have limitations for what scope of return they can prepare, but they can do a surprisingly wide range of returns.

There is no charge. You're not required to be an AARP member, or of any age. They can prepare federal and state, and e-file for you, usually while you wait and usually in about an hour, and will provide hardcopy printouts of your tax returns. If you're nice, they may even provide some advice or suggestions regarding how to reduce your tax liability.

And if you do like I did and become a volunteer, not only do you get to prepare other people's taxes for free, you also can do your own and any friends and family member returns for free as well.

VITA is another similar program.

Thank you for mentioning that option. I volunteered with the AARP tax program for a number of years.
The program was designed for low income filers, but we would take anyone at our site. At my BIL's site in NY, they would only take people with less that $50K in income.

If your return is that simple and you don't want the software help, then I would recommend using Free File at the IRS website. Even for larger incomes it is electronic filing for free. However, it provide no real preparation help and really only does some basic math for you. If you're interested in processing time, my refund hit my saving account on 2/7 this year, so it is fast.

Do you mean the fillable forms for any income level ?

Like many on this thread, I use TT because it has all of my history. If I can find a discount, I’ll take it. I’m no longer a fan of the design though. I’ve used it since it was basically just a spreadsheet of the IRS forms. It’s been dumbed down so much, it’s harder to figure out IMHO. And you’re asked to choose a version at the start instead of pricing at the end based on entries. Last, all of that up sell stuff at the end that they make seem like requirements, where your info gets shared with 3rd parties - just feels sleazy. But I’ll still fork over my $75 or whatever the fee is. Sure beats the days of a scratch pad and calculator!

I jumped from TT to HRB, when TT wanted extra money for a basic form, this was years ago and they corrected that consumer mistake, but lost me.

The one time jump was pretty easy, since each can import from the other, but I had to be watchful that everything was carried over, and learn a slightly different way things were done.
However, for the past 10 years, my tax software costs 1/2 the price of the equivalent TT software so it's paid off.

Do you mean the fillable forms for any income level ?
Yes, I use the "Free File Fillable Forms". It looks like they (IRS) also have an options that is "guided", but that is only for AGI's of <$73,000 and I have never used that one.

Ive always used HR Block Deluxe and had no issues with filing Schedules D and E. Now their website suggests I have to buy their Premium Edition.

If anyone has HR Block Deluxe 2022, can you let me know if it is still supporting Schedules D and E? Hate to buy it and find out it doesn’t. I know I can upgrade, but I’ve been playing with FreeTaxUSA and may consider switching to that. Not sure I want to pay $70 for the HR Block Premium version.

Their Web site says: Deluxe is good for investors, and Premium has extra features for self-employed people and landlords.

Their Web site says: Deluxe is good for investors, and Premium has extra features for self-employed people and landlords.

It's been many years since I used the Premium version of HR Block, but the only difference I found was the Premium had an interview interface, to fill out some simple form.
Frankly it was dumb and annoying, and I'd rather just list my expenses by category.
Now maybe it's changed, but the Deluxe is all a landlord needs if they have done a tax return previously, so they know what are income vs expenses and depreciation.

I jumped from TT to HRB, when TT wanted extra money for a basic form, this was years ago and they corrected that consumer mistake, but lost me.

The one time jump was pretty easy, since each can import from the other, but I had to be watchful that everything was carried over, and learn a slightly different way things were done.
However, for the past 10 years, my tax software costs 1/2 the price of the equivalent TT software so it's paid off.

Exactly what I did too. HRB was always cheaper than TT but they had serious issues with their Deluxe software years ago and lost me as a customer. Have been very happy with HRB.

Back
Top Bottom