Anyone chart their retirement cashflow?

I use Mint to track everything. Export all the traactuins to excel once a year.
You can use LastPass with a rescuer email if for your SO so they can get in in an emergency

I have 3 brokerage accounts but my living expenses come out of the largest one- every 4 months I call the broker and tell him how much money to send, which I then deposit to my USAA account. USAA is my only checking account.

Because I'm a retired actuary, I'm a numbers person and am very Excel-friendly. I keep an Excel checking account registry but have "buckets" for categories where payments are irregular, such as medical expenses and property taxes, and add fixed amounts to them each month. The difference between the balance and all of the reserved amounts is what I have left to spend.

I also track my expenses other than cash in great detail. Pretty easy since I use the Fidelity credit card 99% of the time and the rest comes out of a single checking account. (Cash expenses, in general, are negligible.) I find it interesting and it helps me see where the money is going and how I'm doing compared to previous years. Just updated for March and found that, despite spending over $1,000 on jewelry on a trip to India and Nepal, my expenses are still behind the total for March, 2017 because I had heavy expenses on home improvements (window replacement plus plantation shutters) early last year!

You can use MS Money to track your income and expenses and it will generate the charts and reports you are looking for.

You can use LastPass with a rescuer email if for your SO so they can get in in an emergency
I haven't been paying attention I have to admit, but it's been mentioned often enough now that I'm beginning to wonder whether there is a reason not to share all of my credentials with my spouse.

You can use MS Money to track your income and expenses and it will generate the charts and reports you are looking for.

Yeah, but you have to buy MS Money! :)

I haven't been paying attention I have to admit, but it's been mentioned often enough now that I'm beginning to wonder whether there is a reason not to share all of my credentials with my spouse.

From my perspective, the only hesitation to sharing would be how well your spouse safeguards your credentials (or not). DW is admittedly not as obsessed about security as I am, so I occasionally worry about her computer getting hacked or infected. I have her financial account info in my 1Password manager on my tightly controlled computer (since I am the financial manager for both of us). She knows the master password to the password manager on my computer, so she can get into all accounts if need be in an emergency or I become incapacitated.

I chart my passive income, and expected passive income, in Excel. Spending tracked in Mint. I keep at least 2x my monthly bills in the checking account and rebalance on occasion.

Cashflow tracking:

• One LLC where external income&investments come in, and LLC expenses go out.
  • One private account where private payments go out.
  • All other accounts go through private account first.

Once a year or so I add up expenses, that's my spending check.

Multi-year projections in Excel, up to 110 years old in a four different return scenarios.

Upkeep is a few hours per quarter or so.

+1
I find it very simple, pay everything from one place.
While I have some CC that auto pay bills, those CC are still paid from the one place.

When the one place needs more cash I just look around at which account has extra and transfer it in.

+1

Everything is easy. My one place (checking account) online history lets me see how much has been transferred from my various investment
accounts (although only for a the past year unfortunately).

I track everything in YNAB. I think it would be fairly straightforward for DH. I don't have multiple banks though and our investments are basically at a couple of places which DH knows about. SO, I think it is fairly straightforward.

Back
Top Bottom