Anyone worried about the Ukrainian situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A once powerful nation with a population feeling persecuted by the rest of the world. They are in economic hard times. The public longs for a return to the glory days. A strong leader comes to power, brings order, throws his enemies in jail, has a showcase Olympic games for the rest of the world to see, and invades a neighbor citing the historical cultural ties to the region.

Nope, no reason for the US to worry. What could go wrong? "Let those guys over there handle their own problems."

Last edited:
A once powerful nation with a population feeling persecuted by the rest of the world. The are in economic hard times. The public longs for a return to the glory days. A strong leader comes to power, brings order, throws his enemies in jail, has a showcase Olympic games for the rest of the world to see, and invades a neighbor citing the historical cultural ties to the region.

Nope, no reason for the US to worry. What could go wrong? "Let those guys over there handle their own problems."

Humm,, I think I've heard this play before. Was it Alexander the Great:D

When it comes down it, Europe WILL have to handle its own problems. US may impose sanctions, but we have very limited trade with Russia. Russia is the EUs third largest trading partner; after US and China. US is calling for sanctions and Europe's hem-hawing. Sanctions would be almost as painful to them as it would to Russia. Ukraine's temporary government's going to get a lot of money, but that won't help them in their stalemate against Russia. If the Crimean referendum sponsored by the Crimean parliament says, 'Go Russian,' Putin's not letting go. No point whining about Putin's actions being opposite than his recent showboating - he's a politician; no worse, no better, but more experienced and craftier. He's also got an impenetrable poker face and steel hangy-down things.

Relating to finance and the OPs question - Europe's not going blast their own economy by putting any significant sanctions against Russia. No point in making drastic investment changes.

I know, I laugh whenever I hear that "We'll just head for the hills!" The DC area traffic comes to a standstill every Friday afternoon ~3:00 PM before a long weekend. They think it's going to be better if everyone in DC wants out at the same time?

When I was younger and more naive, I used to just think, stick to the back roads. Only problem is, that's what everybody else is going to do. And God forbid something happens like the power going out; you're going to have an accident at every street corner!

No worries. Its just the newest iteration of The Great Game but now with Uke and sans Stan. How did markets do the last time around?

Last edited:
When it comes down it, Europe WILL have to handle its own problems.

But they won't, and they can't. They are too divided and selfish to solve something like this on their own. They have proven that repeatedly and countries in trouble looks to "America" to save their day (and blame America for not doing so, or not doing it fast enough).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom