Best CD & MM Rates Thread 2019 - Please post updates here

Just noticed Charles Schwab CD's are all about the same rate?
Got a 3.4% 5 yr with them not that long ago. (Jan 2019)
1 month, 3 mo, 9mo, 1yr, 2yr, 3yr, 5yr are all within .21% now.
With the 1 month being the highest 1.967%. Lowest is the 1 yr 1.75%.
Its nuts. lol lol Never seen anything like it............
Rates have been lower "once" a few yrs ago. Just dont recall them ever being so close.
Good thing we have Credit unions, and a few other options.
Just wanted to share with someone. :)

I have a 4-year brokered CD maturing in a few weeks that I purchased as a new issue - 1.5%. So I know for sure where the rates were with the brokerages at this time 4 years ago.

Yea, sold back one of their 1 yr 2.7% brokered CD's set to run out 12/9/19 for over 100%.
And dropped it off at NFCU a couple weeks ago. Was OK with it. Dumb luck.

I didn't setup any POD when I purchased my NFCU CDs and was looking into how to do it after the fact because I have quite a few beneficiaries. You have to print out a POD form, sign it, and send it to NFCU, and it's limited to 6 primary beneficiaries, and you have to enter the SS numbers of the beneficiaries. I have more than 6, and I don't know their SS and would rather not provide that info. But being limited to 6 makes it a non-starter. And third, you also can't view this info online for any of the NFCU accounts to see what the current POD info is. It's generally disappointing and surprising for such a large credit union.

I don't think any of these 3 issues come into play with Vanguard or Ally Bank, for example.

I don't think any of these issues exist with IRA CDs at NFCU, either. Doesn't make sense to have different procedure for regular CD's.

I think when I buy new CD's it defaults to my previous beneficiary choices or I can modify.

What's interesting, is that if I try to add a POD to a new certificate as I am purchasing it, there is no field for SSN. But the downloadable form to add PODs has the field for SSN. Partial screenshots of both methods attached.

Attachments

• pod.jpg
    pod.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 32
  • pod2.jpg
    pod2.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 30
I’m thinking I would try including name and address, maybe DOB and leave the SSN field blank if it is a manual form.

3.8 for 5 1/2 years.

Yes - I rely heavily on CDs and municipal bonds and my jaw dropped when I saw the 10-year drop below 2.6% and just kept going.

I was watching the CD yields in secondary market and to get 3.75% you have to go out to 9 years. 3.8% was the maximum available for going out to 2030-2033 and they're all gone! Those were previously at 4.0%-4.1%. I even have proof of it as I have a few I picked up at 3.93% (12/2027), 4.09% (4/2030) and 4.12% (11/2030).

Yesterday I was able to pick up a 5 1/2 year pre-refunded muni for 3.8% so I'm pretty happy with that.

Where were you able to find that Pre-funded muni at?

Where were you able to find that Pre-funded muni at?

LOL - that was January! Things change very quickly in the world. Due to changes resulting from the tax code changes, municipalities are no longer able to do pre-refunding - now it has to happen very close to the call date. There are still some existing pre-refunded issues that trade, but yields are minuscule like everything these days.

I buy all my bonds through Fidelity. I have some custom software that scans their inventory and alerts me when a good pre-refunded offer shows up like this one. Over the past couple months I've pretty much stopped even looking because it isn't worth the effort any longer.

I'm new here and trying to catch on, sorry.
Custom software, interesting.
I'm willing to learn.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

I'm new here and trying to catch on, sorry.
Custom software, interesting.
I'm willing to learn.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

I didn't mean to be condescending if it came out that way - just that we are all aware of what's happened to interest rates between January and today.

I buy all my bonds through Fidelity. I have some custom software that scans their inventory and alerts me when a good pre-refunded offer shows up like this one. Over the past couple months I've pretty much stopped even looking because it isn't worth the effort any longer.

Let's stick to the topic. Bonds do not qualify to be here - not even close. Please practice what you PREACH.

"Best CD & MM Rates Thread 2019"

Let's stick to the topic. Annuities do not qualify to be here - not even close.

Maybe you don't recall your comment on my post when I also was just trying to help out. Do I need to explain to you how a Fixed annuity works?

Like you told me the topic is "Best CD & MM Rates Thread 2019".

Now Now Gentlemen. )

MYGA rates are acceptable as they are basically a CD with an Insurance Company. Their Rates that is. However, discussion really have no place here. Please start a separate thread for discussions otherwise it makes the ease of looking at historical information difficult.

Now can we get back to actual rates please.

Here are a couple:

Southland Credit Union (CA) 5-Year Jumbo CD Earns 3.15% APY (LA Area Membership)

CommonWealth One Federal Credit Union Has 60-Mo Jumbo CD, 3.21% APY (Easy Membership)

Last edited:
Agree, I started this thread for 2019 CD and MM rates.
Will do it again 1/1/20. See 1st post on this thread.

Am going to start a one now. What will 5yr CD rates be in 5 years?

Ally dropped their rates today.

12 month Cd is now 2.35% down from 2.4%.

No Penalty 11mo is now 2.1% down from 2.2%.

Last edited:
Yeah... when I reconciled my Discover Bank online savings I noticed that the rate had declined to 1.9%... IIRC it was 2% earlier this year.

the 10-year treasury has been extremely strong since Labor Day moving up from about 1.4% to 1.9% yesterday. there have also been a few stories that sentiment around the expected rate cut this coming week has shifted - that the Fed may keep rates flat. it will be interesting to see what happens and how it may show up in savings/CD rates between now and year end.

the 10-year treasury has been extremely strong since Labor Day moving up from about 1.4% to 1.9% yesterday. there have also been a few stories that sentiment around the expected rate cut this coming week has shifted - that the Fed may keep rates flat. it will be interesting to see what happens and how it may show up in savings/CD rates between now and year end.

So we are not 2/10 inverted now. Does that theoretically mean no recession now:confused:?
If there were thoughts about the Fed not cutting, shouldn't there be a stock market slight retreat?
Kind of rhetorical questions to some extent.

So we are not 2/10 inverted now. Does that theoretically mean no recession now:confused:?

If there were thoughts about the Fed not cutting, shouldn't there be a stock market slight retreat?

Kind of rhetorical questions to some extent.

I don’t think it works like that. The fed is doing everything they can to keep the expansion going and rest assured there is incentive to keep the economy looking good thru 2020. I think the long end of the curve is increasing because more debt is being dumped than what the fed is buying and rates are having to rise to get someone to buy it. No way would I lock money that long at rates below inflation.

I also think the markets will be up minimally a little early in the week then waiting the the anticipated feds rate cut announcement. Already priced in my guess. As soon as it’s announced the market will be like what u got for me now and maybe pull back a little before what’s next.

For me my plan is if we get to my price I will take enough off the table to finish deleveraging. Reasons. 1. I want to retire the last debt as it’s a simplification thing for me. 2. As soon as I pull the trigger the market will take off and the rest of my portfolio will go up. Lol. That’s how my luck goes.

Fed will cut and issue "wait and see" guidance.

There will be a recession, eventually.

Back
Top Bottom