Brrr...

kgtest

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Got my util bill. It seems I've exceeded all three categories. It was cold in the north. Next year I'm going out of town for a week and setting the therm to 50. It'll save me $100 in heat!

My flame detector got worn out this year it was so damn cold. It's a $15 part but damn without it that two stage can't find it's edge.
:facepalm:
utilBill.PNG

Since we started snow birding 5 years ago, I've saved a ton on my electric bill. Even though we have geothermal in our MD house, it still costs a lot to heat and cool 4400 sq ft. But now when I leave for FL I turn the heat down to 48. We have a generator, so I don't worry about losing power and pipes freezing, although we do turn off the water and drain the pipes. But the savings over what we used to pay in the winter is immense. One or two months savings pays our entire 6 month electric and AC bill in FL (1200 SQ ft. house). It's a nice side benefit.

Since we started snow birding 5 years ago, I've saved a ton on my electric bill. Even though we have geothermal in our MD house, it still costs a lot to heat and cool 4400 sq ft. But now when I leave for FL I turn the heat down to 48. We have a generator, so I don't worry about losing power and pipes freezing, although we do turn off the water and drain the pipes. But the savings over what we used to pay in the winter is immense. One or two months savings pays our entire 6 month electric and AC bill in FL (1200 SQ ft. house). It's a nice side benefit.

That's like my neighbors. Dropped a bundle building their big dream house (so much that they had to go back to w*rk to pay for it) and then started spending six months and a day living with his mom in a Florida mobile home. I'm always tempted to ask them, why didn't you build the big house down south and buy a mobile home up here?

This graph shows my electricity consumption for the most recent billing period, compared with similar homes nearby. Apart from Christmas Day, when I was cooking up a storm, I was much more frugal than my neighbours. I did have some time away during this billing period. I don’t have a TV, I have as many LED bulbs as possible, I turn out lights in rooms that I am not using, and lately I have been doing much of my cooking in my Instant Pot.

Attachments

• D130ABFE-5BE4-4DB3-9FE5-7A7396321056.jpg
    D130ABFE-5BE4-4DB3-9FE5-7A7396321056.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 70
My gas was up $100 from last year. It’s significantly colder tho. I turn my gas off in the summer so I don’t get the 12 month great rate - not sure if I’m saving money or not!

I like your style. Rented a breakout and softtail on the big island trip. Onle about 3200 here and we usually only takeoff for 3weeks in winter.

This graph shows my electricity consumption for the most recent billing period, compared with similar homes nearby. Apart from Christmas Day, when I was cooking up a storm, I was much more frugal than my neighbours. I did have some time away during this billing period. I don’t have a TV, I have as many LED bulbs as possible, I turn out lights in rooms that I am not using, and lately I have been doing much of my cooking in my Instant Pot.

We did host two 30+ guests back to back over xmas. I don't recommend it.

If I do that again I am just going to turn the therm off before everyone arrives...especially when my family arrives hehehe full of hot air, that'll be enough to keep even santa's reigndeer warm on the roof when they land.

Was a fun xmas tho with 2 1/2 and 4month I'll pay any rate to keep it warm through the holidays! :cool:

Looking at my chart a little closer you can pt the upward trend when the second tax deduction came along lol.

I just sit in the dark and shiver....
OP when my flame detector went out the gas use went way up as it kept cycling but the blower never came on. Could that be your issue?
Even here in upstate NY the cost of turning the heat up to comfortable 68 from a chilly 65 for the entire winter is less than a decent dinner out.

Made me look. Still below my neighbors by a little. :dance:
energyUse.pngEnergyUseGas.png

I just sit in the dark and shiver....
OP when my flame detector went out the gas use went way up as it kept cycling but the blower never came on. Could that be your issue?
Even here in upstate NY the cost of turning the heat up to comfortable 68 from a chilly 65 for the entire winter is less than a decent dinner out.

Yes I have a bad flame detector. Replacing today as we speak. You are sharp.

Yes I have a bad flame detector. Replacing today as we speak. You are sharp.

You had said so. Just noting it bumped my use up.
I got away with cleaning it the first two times, bought a spare online for $7 going to replace instead of clean next time.

Now, now, that's been changed to "climate change" so they can have it both ways!:D

The warming is global. The climate change is global. The change is not, however, uniform. It’s not hard to understand, really. :)

More to the original point of the thread, our gas/electricity is running us about $20USD per month. This is what they mean when they talk about moving somewhere with a lower cost of living. :dance:

We used to be a bit under "similar houses near us", but last year we redid the master bath and added heated floors in there (electric) so we're now above the neighbors during the colder months. It's so worth it. I also get a kick out of having "Master Bath Floor" on our list of WiFi devices.

Guess I should be cross posting this on one of the how to spend more money discussions.

It's 75F here at the moment.

But it was colder yesterday - - high of 57F. brrrr!!!

Despite predictions of 90%+ rain all weekend through today, and predictions of cooler temperatures, Mother Nature relented and it's been pretty nice most of the time with little to no rain so far. Other than being a little overcast, it's great parade weather here today for Mardi Gras.

My house is heated with natural gas, and my highest gas bill so far this winter was the one I received in January, $75. I think that covered those days below freezing that we had a month or two ago. In the past my January bill has been pretty consistent at around $45.

Last edited:
A few years ago there was a thread about "What do you splurge on?" and for us one of the splurge items is staying warm in the winter so we don't hesitate to crank up the thermostat.

We don't care what the bill is (up to a point of course). The most recent natural gas bill for the period Dec.1 to Jan. 8 was $259.23. That's a lot higher than normal but I expected it (I'd budgeted $280) because of the cold weather.

In the summer when the gas is only used for hot water, the clothes dryer, and cooking the bill is ~$30.

Thursday the forecast is for 70°.:dance: Around here that's almost unheard of this time of year.

You had said so. Just noting it bumped my use up.
I got away with cleaning it the first two times, bought a spare online for $7 going to replace instead of clean next time.

Cheapest I could find was $18 online, but the store down the road had one in stock for $36. Had it not desinigrated in my hand I would have considered waiting for the online one to ship..

the price I pay for convenience. Also got gas and picked up the mail so I guess it makes the $18 upcharge a little more bearable. Now I have a spare and should last me at least another 10years.

A few years ago there was a thread about "What do you splurge on?" and for us one of the splurge items is staying warm in the winter so we don't hesitate to crank up the thermostat.

We don't care what the bill is (up to a point of course). The most recent natural gas bill for the period Dec.1 to Jan. 8 was $259.23. That's a lot higher than normal but I expected it (I'd budgeted $280) because of the cold weather.

In the summer when the gas is only used for hot water, the clothes dryer, and cooking the bill is ~$30.

Thursday the forecast is for 70°.:dance: Around here that's almost unheard of this time of year.

40 tomorrow for us...people will be trying to golf and ride motorcycles. There will be a guy in shorts at the gas pump. Cabin fever for most around here.

DW freezes if the temp is below hell. Her turf is downstairs. She's got the thermostat to mid-70's and the gas fireplace roaring. I'm upstairs in the man cave with the ceiling fan on and the windows open. There's a gas pipeline being built that goes through the Blue Ridge Mountains to the Atlantic seaboard. I've requested a spur directly to my house. Yeah, my (not our) gas bill is high... I pay it with "our" money (when she gives me some). :( But she does put the D in DW. I am blessed.

Anyway, we're headed to Myrtle Beach tomorrow for a few weeks. I've got sibs and inlaws/outlaws coming down from along I-94 (MN to MT). I'll ask them how their heating bills stack up. All these F-ing first world problems. :dance:

DW freezes if the temp is below hell. Her turf is downstairs. She's got the thermostat to mid-70's and the gas fireplace roaring. I'm upstairs in the man cave with the ceiling fan on and the windows open.

Since heat rises, wouldn’t it be more energy efficient to have your man cave in the cool basement, while DW could enjoy the warmth under the roof?

+1, that was my first toe-in-the-water attempt to "blow that dough". Thanks Robbie. It has made a huge difference in my ability to get through winter. Turns out, if you are completely warm before you go outside in the cold, it is much less uncomfortable.

We pay more for heat here in a smaller house. However my AC bill is 😁, I turned it one one afternoon last summer. Beats $350 a month for 5 months.

We pay more for heat here in a smaller house. However my AC bill is 😁, I turned it one one afternoon last summer. Beats $350 a month for 5 months.

You must have insulation problem.

My electric bill is 250 for a couple of months in the summer, 5000 square foot.

Now we are at about 350 for propane. This winter is COLD.

Back
Top Bottom