Can You Waste Money?

Fun idea!
Linoleum instead of the awful synthetic wall to wall in this place, and a couple decent looking rugs.
Energy efficient washer.
Instant hot water heater and the electrician to install it.
Fruit and nut trees and lots and lots of garden seeds, and one of those toolrack holders, and some coldframes, new trowels, good wheelbarrow.
New front stairs and small deck with handrails.
Small sunroom for some solar heat/wind buffer in winter. It can even be used shower door glass, but I need someone to help build it. Or a smaller size greenhouse or hoop house, not one of those thirty footers.
If I'm not over pretend budget yet, definitely energy efficient refrigerater. And maybe some travel?
And new loafers/clogs/sandals. Three new pair of jeans, different weight fabric, a pretty ruffled blouse, good flannel ruffled longsleeved shirt, all brand spanking new!
A good whiskey, blackberry leaf tea and gunpowder tea and Luzianne coffee and a trip to Trader Joe's and some Australian black licorice, and Dove chocolate and a couple steaks and good rump roast and ice cream to go in the freezer of that new refrigerator.
Or how about a lute or lap harp and instruction video and replacement strings?
Spending spree at good bookstore or Amazon, and some new CDs and some classic DVD or VCR movies and foreign films that the library doesn't have.
Oops--forgot the pets. Couple new toys for them, too. Maybe a wading pool for the ducks and dogs (they can take turns using it)?
New charcoal pencils and paper. Acryllic or oil or watercolor paints and paper, and adult sized easel instead of the little kid one I've been squatting down to use?
Competent handyman and supplies to fix the storage shed and camper, and new window screens for my place instead of my tacking on govt. surplus screening.
This is fun! That updated H. Long/rich uncle certainly would boost the economy here.

Oops. Forgot the pressure canner (already have the jars for it), and the new stove with working oven.
Either the lute or harp, or the new refrigerator, should probably be the first priority.
Either the bookstore/Amazon or portable inside evaporative cooler should be the second priority.
Suspect the dog and ducks would dispute priorities if given a chance.
Problem with early retirement is that one feels one should be saving more for older old age; that's one reason why the spend-inheritance post is such fun.

Right now I'm in phase the phase of my life where I'm learning how to be more mentally, emotionally, and physically healthy than I was while I was working.  Here in the Bay Area there are plenty of good workshops, coaches, programs and such that could assist me with that kind of learning, and I am finding that resisting such temptations is one of my biggest challenges in budgeting.  For $10k I might do a few workshops a month for a year.

OldAgePensioner said:
Eagle43,
if it's the real deal Thai body massage, you could get about 300 or so in Bangkok.

But I doubt you would live past the 150th. A very pleasureable way to go though.

I once read that real massages there cost only 500 baht, which by my calcs, is about 25 bucks. Am I incorrect?

I would use it to fund a family reunion....in SanDiego-old town area. I would use the money to pay for rooms, food and of course...booze! I have a great group in my large family, but we get together so seldom--this would be the mechanism to make it happen. I could afford to do it....but that is 3 months less retirement saved( once a saver..)!!! But money I had to spend--what a great concept!

Well, according to my DW, most things I buy are a waste of money...

So yeah, I guess I am qualified to waste money.

Donzo said:
I would use it to fund a family reunion....in SanDiego-old town area.  I would use the money to pay for rooms, food and of course...booze!
Good point. I could throw one heckuva reunion for my Pittsburgh-area high school... in Hawaii!

I could waste the money... strippers!!! :LOL:

Alright, alright, fine. I wouldn't spend it on strippers. I'd probably do something boring and responsible like travel the world.

SLC Tortfeasor said:
Alright, alright, fine.  I wouldn't spend it on strippers.   I'd probably do something boring and responsible like travel the world.
... and spend it on strippers all over the world.

Yes. Yesterday I saw a man gives $7 buck tips for a $13 hair cut because the hair dresser stroke his eagle.

I would probably join a health club for a year and then spend the rest of it on traveling the world. I would still travel as cheaply as possible, in order to see more countries and experience more people, food and places.

Dreamer

Cut-Throat said:
A total waste of money for me would be alimony, speeding tickets, gambling at Las Vegas and contributions to the Republican Party.

So I guess the killer combo is betting on which divorced republican will be the next to get a speeding ticket?

Cute n Fuzzy Bun'ny said:
So I guess the killer combo is betting on which divorced republican will be the next to get a speeding ticket?
We forgot to include alcohol & sex in that combo...

Drunk divorced republican getting a BJ (and subsequently lying about it under oath) that receives just a speeding ticket.

Nords said:
We forgot to include alcohol & sex in that combo...

Paying for Alcohol and Sex is not a waste of money! - That is what it is made for :D

Its interesting to see where this thread traveled to ..
I dislike the idea that I am wasting money . I prefer to think of it as the trickle theory and thats its good for the economy.
Most of my spending is on my electronic toys. So I would update the tv/stereo etc

$10k is not that much $$. One could run through that pretty darn fast. Now make it a cool $1 million to burn through and we are talking!

Assuming we are talking truly burning through it for fun and not for profit or to be a good person then here is my list. :D

Vegas---big money poker table
NV-Mustang Ranch---only the best. :D :D
Rent a NASCAR track for the day and "rent" a stock car to run wide open for as long as you want.
Biggest Badest HD Plasma screen you can find with all the speakers and power you want.
New car....duh! Red, Italian, rare, fast and uninsurable.
Twin Engine aircraft...learn to fly it with a personal teacher.
Boat...40-60 footer...power.
If there is anything left........Mustang Ranch... :D

Fast I suppose, uninsurable definitely, but a red Italian woman at The Mustang Ranch? ( Which incidentally, I believe has closed.) Maybe that red uninsurable Italian did 'em in.

Ha

SteveR said:
$10k is not that much $$.  One could run through that pretty darn fast.  Now make it a cool $1 million to burn through and we are talking!

Assuming we are talking truly burning through it for fun and not for profit or to be a good person then here is my list.   :D

Vegas---big money poker table
NV-Mustang Ranch---only the best.  :D :D
Rent a NASCAR track for the day and "rent" a stock car to run wide open for as long as you want.
Biggest Badest HD Plasma screen you can find with all the speakers and power you want.
New car....duh!  Red, Italian, rare, fast and uninsurable.
Twin Engine aircraft...learn to fly it with a personal teacher. 
Boat...40-60 footer...power.
If there is anything left........Mustang Ranch... :D

Ditto on everything he said. I like the way you think, SteveR.

Back
Top Bottom