Documentary "Broken Eggs"

So.... you watched it twice? Or some scenes 4-5 times?! ;-)

Like Scotch, "Outlander" is probably an acquired taste.

Lots of women, "eight to eighty, blind, crippled, or crazy," (as FIL says), love it, and many of their men are donning the kilt, buying Scotch whisky for their wives, and rrrrrrrreapin' the rrrrrrrrewards thereof.

It's quite funny, the things I hear tell of.

Audrey, I'll hunt out a few of the funnier links to the best blogs if you're really interested. The blogs and memes are really the best, for me!
I think the post above was about the broken eggs program?

Yes, definitely PM me some links please! :D

May I then recommend "Outlander," on Starz, and the follow up photo recaps provided by fans??

Shirtless hunky man, one-hour episodes to alleviate MADD, and plenty of comedy in the fans' captions of photos and in the Outmander blog. ��

OK - finally got Starz running on Apple TV and we are really enjoying this series. It's a beautiful production with fabulous acting, really enjoying the period stuff. Top notch (above and beyond the eye candy)

Also watching Da Vinci's Demons and Black Sails. Those are so slap-dash and silly compared (but I'll still watch because the settings and historical contexts are too compelling).

Love stuff set in the Renaissance and Baroque periods.

I broke down and entered some random email address to watch. Here is the house -

17 Benthill Ct, Lafayette, CA 94549 - Zillow

Two couples we know that ERed sold their paid off houses in the Bay Area and moved somewhere less expensive. These guys pretty much did it backwards - waited until thy were retirement age then took out a big mortgage to upsize (3300 sq feet) to an affluent suburb of one of the most expensive cities in the U.S.

This house even has a guest house. They could have moved to that and rented out the main house. Or rented out both the house and guest house and they could have rented a studio apartment out in Oakley. The whole story was a bit bizarre.

The house is 6800 sqft from the link. Did I read it right? I have not had coffee yet.

I have some friends that used to have a nice condo out in Garden Grove, CA, in the early 90's. I think it cost around $100-120K initially. He worked for McDonnell-Douglas, making a good salary, and I forget what she did. Anyway, he got laid off, local market tanked, and his condo fell so far in value that he did a "deed in lieu of foreclosure", and got out of it, moved back to Maryland. At the bottom, I think his condo was worth around $30,000.

It never went down that much. I bought at the absolute peak, 1989 and it went down at most 15%. Mine was in Laguna Niguel. But I doubt Garden Grove went down that much.

Let me reinforce the memory issue. I lived in Houston in the early 80s and saw the great crash there were the price of my house fell (assessed value) by 50%. After that I knew that anyone who said housing prices could never go down was wrong. Of course that was a localized effect, but if they can go down in one location, why not many? In one sense it is interesting that the runup happened just as the folks who were kids in the 1930s (or older then) were leaving the scene in big numbers, taking their institutional memories with them.

My daughter's best friend from Texas, her parents never ever bought another house since experienced the crash, they did lose big after the crash. They were renting the whole 25 years they lived in the Bay Area.

Why am I reading an 18 momth old thread?

A better question might be "Why are you posting about reading an 18 month old thread?"

But to answer your question - the thread got refreshed when Aubrey came back with an update about the Outlander series... then other folks posted. It happens regularly.

Why am I reading an 18 momth old thread?

Because it took another 16 months for Starz to become available on Apple TV and another month for me to finally start watching Outlander.

Threads deviate, you know.

I take no responsibility for other posters belatedly picking up on the original topic....:angel:

Last edited:
I've only seen a brief portion of the trailer so far.

It doesn't bode well for the film that one expert describes Social Security as bankrupt.

Bankruptcy refers to being able to legally refuse to pay debt, not to being out of money. And the term is off base on both counts regarding SS.

The SS trust fund is being gradually depleted, but SS tax continues to be collected on present and newly entering members of the work force. Some pessimistic assessments stated that if no changes were made (a big predicate), benefits might have to cut by 25%. That is likely the worst case scenario.

However, the pressure to make adjustments will grow since any shortfall will negatively affect not only the current recipients but all those within 15-20 years of retirement. This situation will create a substantial constituency in support of bolstering the SS system.

I intent to watch the film but hope the remainder of the film provides a little more support any predictions of future financial doom and gloom.

Tried to find an image of a very old, very fat guy with a six pack of beer but couldn't find one. Sorry to disappoint ladies.:LOL:...
This spurs me to tackle the same task to show that I am a better Web surfer.

But after a couple of minutes, all I could find is the following.

old-sexy-beer-man.jpg

Ah Hah! Found one for the ladies of this forum.

Beer-belly-six-pack.bmp

OK, I actually just watched the documentary.

Well, sort of, as I dozed off and on. If there were a transcript I would be able to get the info in much less time, as an earlier poster noted.

I then went back to read again earlier poster comments, and many were more attentive and filled in for me many details that I missed by dozing.

From the sound of things, the title of that piece is a misnomer if 'eggs' is supposed to refer to someone's retirement 'nest egg' - seems like most of the people showcased never had any eggs to begin with!

The above pretty much sums it up.

So, the problem now is we need to chip in, and come up with some eggs for them. No?

Last edited:
Ditto what purplesky said.

In half of these threads we lament the fact that other people don't save enough. Then someone addresses the subject, and we complain that the subject has been raised.

If it takes a gentle conversation or hammer to the head documentary, it should be done.

Now I'll watch. LOL. I hate when people comment but haven't read the article or watched the movie.

Best wishes to all!

I wonder how many people on this board have experienced a financial hardship due to a serious medical problem, real estate gone bad or loss of employment? My only comment is you can do everything (or 90% of things) right and it's still possible to get derailed. The older couple endured her being diagnosed and treated for cancer, he lost his job and the the great recession of 2008 took 1/2 of his home equity. The musician was finalizing a divorce and becoming a single parent. It sounds like her husband was the bread winner . The benefit of hindsight makes it easy to state what should have been done. Many times when your struggling with one or multiple of these problems -- you're so focused on the most urgent need, you don't see the big picture. Sometimes life gets in the way.

This spurs me to tackle the same task to show that I am a better Web surfer.

But after a couple of minutes, all I could find is the following.

old-sexy-beer-man.jpg

OWWW! My eyes!!!! Yuck yuck yuck yuck yuckkkkkkkk

If it wasn't for medical insurance both my father and I would have been ruined. Ma spent the last 4 months of her life in the hospital (lots in ICU) and rehab (nursing home) with lots of transfers.

My wife died of pancreatic cancer 16 months after diagnosis. 2 weeks in hospitals (4 days in ICU) and I was max out of pocket for 2 years.

If you don't have health insurance you can be financially ruined very easily.

Yes, not all the broken eggs are created by people living "way beyond their means", sometimes feces just happens.

That will teach people to be careful what they ask for.

Wasn't there a fable we were told as a kid about that?

I wonder how many people on this board have experienced a financial hardship due to a serious medical problem, real estate gone bad or loss of employment? My only comment is you can do everything (or 90% of things) right and it's still possible to get derailed. The older couple endured her being diagnosed and treated for cancer, he lost his job and the the great recession of 2008 took 1/2 of his home equity. The musician was finalizing a divorce and becoming a single parent. It sounds like her husband was the bread winner . The benefit of hindsight makes it easy to state what should have been done. Many times when your struggling with one or multiple of these problems -- you're so focused on the most urgent need, you don't see the big picture. Sometimes life gets in the way.

I have. Both husband and wife lost job in dot com burst. We had to buy our own health insurance too, not COBRA, too expensive. I quit mine but technically knew that startup was not going to last and I was getting tired. Either quit or get sick. So I think we had a year where we didn't have income. That's when what I've learned from the frugal forums were actually put to use.

Last edited:

I know!! It was SOOOOO uncalled for, don't you think?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

The house is 6800 sqft from the link. Did I read it right? I have not had coffee yet.

Zillows shows the 6800 sq feet now. I posted the link over a year ago so I may have misread it back then, the square footage may have been posted incorrectly back then or now, or perhaps one included the guest house and one did not. The market price per square foot in that area would tend to support the 3300 sq foot number, if you look at the similar sales column. Average price per square foot there is currently $589.

Last edited:
Did they specify the location of the Silicon Valley McMansion? Maybe if they used data from the dot com era it would look bad... but anything recent went up. In the city where Google made it's headquarters, zillow shows real estate values going from $800k before the 2008 mortgage crisis... to $1.5 million now. Hard to see where a recent Silicon Valley purchase could be spun as bad. So I'm guessing they used old data to make their case.

I just tried to find out how the couple who lived in the Bay Area McMansion was doing. I found Robert (Bob) Beardsley on Linkedin, and it looks like I happens to have a 3rd connection with. It shows he has been a business owner from 2009, so I don't think anybody hired him full time after the show. If I were in his situation (and they most likely had so much down payment in the house already that they didn't want to lose), I probably would have gotten tons of roommates to help with the payment, although I am not sure if it would have been enough.

tmm99 - If it's the same profile that says "Microsoft Corporation 2002-2005" (!), then he worked at a San Jose startup from 2007-2009. Looks like he could have bought at the worst time (Apr 2007) and then sold anywhere from Apr 2009-2012 at a loss ($700k vs $500k, roughly). And since linkedin shows employment from 2005-2012, maybe a 2012 sale isn't so far off. Median house prices broke even Apr 2014 ($700k) and have risen since (Apr 2016, $831k).

But some more context makes it strange - he worked as a director at Microsoft for 3 years, presumably with a high salary and stock options. If I had to take a $200k hit, but I could get 3 years of director's pay with Microsoft stock options... I think that job alone is worth more than the housing loss. And that was before leaving Microsoft to work in the bay area between 2005-2012 again as a director.

Assuming it's the right linkedin profile, I'd say "bad timing on san jose, but what did you do with all that director pay?"

Back
Top Bottom