Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-26-2017, 03:57 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I wonder how many Canadian snowbirds actually file an 8840?
Yes, good question. There are plenty of snowbirds who arenít aware of the requirement. They figure as long as they dont overstay their B2 VISA (6 months) they are good to go. When I mention the 8840 requirements, most dont believe me. I tell them to look it up.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2017, 07:37 PM   #42
Dryer sheet wannabe

In the USA, if one buys their health insurance via either a state exchange or healthcare.gov, they may find that the insurance choices available limit their healthcare options outside the geographic area represented by the chosen plan. Some, for example, might allow you to visit urgent care centers outside the plan's geography, but offer no in-network physicians outside that geography. That might mean that someone with insurance from Florida can't make in-network appointments with doctors in Maryland, because there simply aren't any for that network. Might be worth checking on when one is choosing a domicile.
Silvery Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:15 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
I'm afraid you're a little off track in your assessment of Florida's position about residents. Just this past year Florida conducted an extensive audit of individuals claiming the homestead exemption on their Florida home and thousands of those exemptions were determined to be fraudulent and they were assessed back taxes, interest and penalties.
I'm afraid you're a little off context. Homestead exemption is for property owners. You can be a resident without owning property.

Someone else posted that various government entities determine residence differently in Florida. The Florida Division of Elections says "Legal residence is not defined in law.", then goes on for 2 pages how the courts and the Division of Elections have "construed legal residency". The following document states how that view applies to 9 different groups of residents: FDE Guide 0003 - Voter Residency
Old 12-27-2017, 06:34 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDontMeanAThing View Post
I'm afraid you're a little off context. Homestead exemption is for property owners. You can be a resident without owning property.

Someone else posted that various government entities determine residence differently in Florida. The Florida Division of Elections says "Legal residence is not defined in law.", then goes on for 2 pages how the courts and the Division of Elections have "construed legal residency". The following document states how that view applies to 9 different groups of residents: FDE Guide 0003 - Voter Residency
Yes, I understand, after 40 years as an attorney living in Florida, that the homestead exemption relates to property ownership. I also understand a renter can be a resident. Bottom line is, all the facts and circumstances of a personís life determine if they are a resident.
Gill
Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:26 AM   #45

Quote:
Yes, I understand, after 40 years as an attorney living in Florida, that the homestead exemption relates to property ownership. I also understand a renter can be a resident. Bottom line is, all the facts and circumstances of a personís life determine if they are a resident.
Gill
I still have no clue why you conflated Florida investigating who is a resident when there are property taxes at stake with residency or domicile when there is no tax revenue involved. The OP said living in Florida. He didn't mention owning property.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:24 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Yes, good question. There are plenty of snowbirds who arenít aware of the requirement. They figure as long as they dont overstay their B2 VISA (6 months) they are good to go. When I mention the 8840 requirements, most dont believe me. I tell them to look it up.
It was one of the reasons I decided to snowbird in Mexico. The other was that the alien estate tax kicked in at $60k (since fixed). I can just imagine snowbirds getting letters from the IRS about filing back taxes.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:45 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Gill
And FL doesn't really care about those facts and circumstances, as long as they can legally claim FL residency. That's why it's such a popular state for residency amongst snow birders and perpetual travelers. Which was the original point of the thread.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:46 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
It was one of the reasons I decided to snowbird in Mexico. The other was that the alien estate tax kicked in at $60k (since fixed). I can just imagine snowbirds getting letters from the IRS about filing back taxes.
I can see that. Had to put our Arizona house in a trust to get around the Estate tax issue. Itís a real pain for Canadian snowbirds dealing with US Immigration/Tax issues. Mexico would have been a lot easier.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:52 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
I'm a permanent resident of Florida, recently moved to another county and want to update my driver's license with my new address. It's not that easy to even change your address on the license. I now have all my documents ready to go down to the State Office to get my new driver's license. You must have:
1. Primary ID such as birth certificate, passport or certificate of citizenship.
2. Social Security verification, W-2 form showing SS number, pay stub with SS
number or a 1099 with the SS number.

3. Two proofs of residency, ie, deed, mortgage, Florida voter card, Florida
vehicle registration, current homeowners insurance policy, selective
registration card or a utility hookup order within 60 days, etc.

So, this is not an easy thing to do. I've been getting these papers together since our move in November. Just so you all know, it's not that easy in Florida. I'll also find out how difficult it is to register to vote. I'll bet it's easier.
So if you are under age 62 and not working, then I guess you can't move since you not have any of those..
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:18 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
So if you are under age 62 and not working, then I guess you can't move since you not have any of those..
I could have been more detailed, but space wouldn't permit. Example: one must have TWO forms of ID:
1. (primary identification): US birth certificate, valid US passport, certificate of naturalization, OR certificate of citizenship. (must be original or certified copy)

2. (secondary identification): Social Security Number: SS card, W-2 form, pay stub showing full SS number, SSA-1099 showing full SS number OR non-SSA-1099 showing full SS number.

Then under proof of residential address, you need two types of proof which include things like a deed, mortgage, W-2 from, utility bill, a letter from a homeless shelter, or ten other types of residential address proof,
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 01:08 PM   #51
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
Using https://www.sbimailservice.com, allows you to set residency in Florida, you can vote, get a drivers license, etc all without actually having a home or apartment.
Hi, all. Iíd like to hear from others about this. I had a lengthy phone chat with these people a few weeks ago (the business name is St. Brendanís Isle) and they told me that their address could not be used for a driverís license in Florida. The state laws/regulations have tightened of late. They are a mail forwarding service, but my understanding is that their address cannot exclusively be used to establish Florida residency. Thoughts?
cinghiale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:22 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinghiale View Post
Hi, all. I’d like to hear from others about this. I had a lengthy phone chat with these people a few weeks ago (the business name is St. Brendan’s Isle) and they told me that their address could not be used for a driver’s license in Florida. The state laws/regulations have tightened of late. They are a mail forwarding service, but my understanding is that their address cannot exclusively be used to establish Florida residency. Thoughts?
From what you and JOHNNIE36 posted it sounds like the REAL ID requirements have taken effect in Florida (REAL ID requires proof of residency)

I wonder how all those RVers using SD and expats using TX addresses will adapt.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:19 PM   #53

The REAL ID Act goes into effect 1-22-18. Google it.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:29 AM   #54

Quote:
I could have been more detailed, but space wouldn't permit. Example: one must have TWO forms of ID:
1. (primary identification): US birth certificate, valid US passport, certificate of naturalization, OR certificate of citizenship. (must be original or certified copy)

2. (secondary identification): Social Security Number: SS card, W-2 form, pay stub showing full SS number, SSA-1099 showing full SS number OR non-SSA-1099 showing full SS number.

Then under proof of residential address, you need two types of proof which include things like a deed, mortgage, W-2 from, utility bill, a letter from a homeless shelter, or ten other types of residential address proof,
1 and 2 are easy: birth certificate, passport, SS card

Proof of residence takes time and money. ER means you have both. Why not sign a month to month lease on a cheap place. At bank or broker, turn off email notifications. Change your address which should trigger a snail mail verification. If not, make a transaction that will. That snail mail and your lease prove physical address. With any sort of luck, you'll have to pay only one month on the lease.

As JOHNNIE36 said, there are other ways to prove residential address: https://www.flhsmv.gov/driver-licens...g/u-s-citizen/
Old 12-28-2017, 04:49 PM   #55

Quote:
The REAL ID Act goes into effect 1-22-18. Google it.
The TSA just announced an extension. Unless you're traveling overseas (in which case you'd need a passport anyway), they will accept all driver's licenses until late in 2020.

Nice for me, since I'm in one of the curmudgeon states that is resisting the REAL ID act.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:53 AM   #56

The other thing that was mildly worrisome ... on my last trip to the US, I used a credit card at Kohl's. They wanted to see my ID. So I showed them my US Passport Card...the cashier said that wasn't good enough and needed to see my US driver's license. Which I had with me, fortunately. But in the future I may not have one to show.
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:01 AM   #57

I can highly recommend St. Brenden's Isle. I used them for 8 years from 2004 - 2012. But then I got residency and DL through them. Rules seem to have changed now.