Domicile when you travel a lot ?

Using https://www.sbimailservice.com, allows you to set residency in Florida, you can vote, get a drivers license, etc all without actually having a home or apartment.

Hi, all. I’d like to hear from others about this. I had a lengthy phone chat with these people a few weeks ago (the business name is St. Brendan’s Isle) and they told me that their address could not be used for a driver’s license in Florida. The state laws/regulations have tightened of late. They are a mail forwarding service, but my understanding is that their address cannot exclusively be used to establish Florida residency. Thoughts?

Hi, all. I’d like to hear from others about this. I had a lengthy phone chat with these people a few weeks ago (the business name is St. Brendan’s Isle) and they told me that their address could not be used for a driver’s license in Florida. The state laws/regulations have tightened of late. They are a mail forwarding service, but my understanding is that their address cannot exclusively be used to establish Florida residency. Thoughts?

From what you and JOHNNIE36 posted it sounds like the REAL ID requirements have taken effect in Florida (REAL ID requires proof of residency)

I wonder how all those RVers using SD and expats using TX addresses will adapt.

I could have been more detailed, but space wouldn't permit. Example: one must have TWO forms of ID:
1. (primary identification): US birth certificate, valid US passport, certificate of naturalization, OR certificate of citizenship. (must be original or certified copy)

2. (secondary identification): Social Security Number: SS card, W-2 form, pay stub showing full SS number, SSA-1099 showing full SS number OR non-SSA-1099 showing full SS number.

Then under proof of residential address, you need two types of proof which include things like a deed, mortgage, W-2 from, utility bill, a letter from a homeless shelter, or ten other types of residential address proof,
1 and 2 are easy: birth certificate, passport, SS card

Proof of residence takes time and money. ER means you have both. Why not sign a month to month lease on a cheap place. At bank or broker, turn off email notifications. Change your address which should trigger a snail mail verification. If not, make a transaction that will. That snail mail and your lease prove physical address. With any sort of luck, you'll have to pay only one month on the lease.

As JOHNNIE36 said, there are other ways to prove residential address: https://www.flhsmv.gov/driver-licenses-id-cards/what-to-bring/u-s-citizen/

The REAL ID Act goes into effect 1-22-18. Google it.

The TSA just announced an extension. Unless you're traveling overseas (in which case you'd need a passport anyway), they will accept all driver's licenses until late in 2020.

Nice for me, since I'm in one of the curmudgeon states that is resisting the REAL ID act.

The other thing that was mildly worrisome ... on my last trip to the US, I used a credit card at Kohl's. They wanted to see my ID. So I showed them my US Passport Card...the cashier said that wasn't good enough and needed to see my US driver's license. Which I had with me, fortunately. But in the future I may not have one to show.

I can highly recommend St. Brenden's Isle. I used them for 8 years from 2004 - 2012. But then I got residency and DL through them. Rules seem to have changed now.

Back
Top Bottom