Dow over 28,000!

I pretty much started retirement savings in March 2000 when I changed jobs, and transferred about $50k into a new company 401k. Since that time, I am now surpassing $850k in just 401k retirement accounts, but have started some after tax accounts that I plan to build for no "reduced taxable income distributions" with about $125k, have a defined contribution pension worth about $85k, and an HSA that at this points has ~$32k.

So, all in I can claim the "millionaire" club. :dance:

Still a ways to go though.

Riding the bull again after being thrown off? I dunno. You want to be sure that you survive first. :)

_81035316_ap_bull1.jpg

Is that dude loosing his pants?

My portfolio is at an all time high too! Scary boots. On the positive side the markets are going up gradually, not yet seeing a hockey puck in this SP500 chart:

image1.jpg

I will reset my AA back to 60% stocks when stocks get to 61% which is now. Keeps the risk constant and is easy on my emotions. So watch out as I'm selling 1% soon. :)

Last edited:
Is that dude loosing his pants?

He was eventually rescued from the bull along with his pants, and survived after surgeries to repair wounds to his leg and back. He was an American student studying in Spain, and was participating in a yearly bull run at Ciudad Rodrigo, Spain.

25B65E1F00000578-2954500-image-a-109_1424027556939.jpg

Now, here's the bull on Wall Street.

wall-street-bull-sculpture-david-hogan.jpg

^^^^ Says a scaredy cat who's at 60% stock AA. :cool:

Last edited:
How about another metaphor for a wild market bull run?

It's the buffalo run set up by the Indians for a hunt. They caused the buffalo to stampede and fall off cliffs.

PS. A young and brave Indian would use a robe of bison skin to set himself up as a decoy, in order to lure the herd to a path they thought was an escape route, while other members of the tribe surrounded the herd in the rear and chased them off the cliff.

buffalo-jump-4%25255B14%25255D.jpg

Last edited:
With "Not QE" the bulls run off the cliff and float to the moon.

It is true that the bulls used for cowboys to ride do not have sharp horns, and usually do not gore fallen riders. Still, one can get trampled.

About my stash, thanks for asking, it sets a new high everyday.

I am not nervous, having done some hedging for the more volatile holdings. I have plans for whether the market goes up or down from here. Of course it remains to be seen how well my plan works. :) Can I dismount the bull safely? :LOL:

Can you tell me anything about your hedge? I know there are ways to use leverage to hedge, but is there a way to say spend 1% to break even if the market drops 10%?
And then when it drops 10%, do you get out, hedge again or what?
I have zero understanding of the idea.

No, I cannot break even if the market drops 10%. All I hope for is to lose less than the market, perhaps by a few percent, yet still make some money if the market is flat or goes up.

I write out-of-the-money covered calls on certain stocks, and that's the few percent that I gain. The drawback is if the market goes sky-high, I have my gains capped.

And instead of holding some stocks, I also sell out-of-the-money cash-covered puts to buy them below current market values. If the market drops badly and I have to buy the stocks, I buy them at a few percent lower than the current price, and lose less money than people who hold the shares now. Again, if the market stays flat or does not drop too badly, I actually make some money from the puts.

PS. To hedge more to avoid losses costs more money. It's expensive, plus I am not that bearish.

Last edited:
Boy, am I glad that we had such an awesome run, up to like a week ago! Mentally, this downturn due to the coronavirus is not bugging me at all.......yet.

Boy, am I glad that we had such an awesome run, up to like a week ago! Mentally, this downturn due to the coronavirus is not bugging me at all.......yet.

I know, same here! I still have way more than I had on the first of the year, although if this keeps up it is possible that at some point I might not.

My all time high of my entire life was ten days ago. Pretty amazing! After all the struggles of my youth, I never thought I would be this well off in my old age and it makes me very happy.

Honestly I am still satisfied with the market lately and hoping this is just a blip. But if it is not, I'm in a pretty good position to hang on and wait it out.

Markets only down ~3% so far. Could be more to come.
We should expect at least one 10% correction each year.

I had my spending covered for 2019 by 2018 withdrawals. So near the end of 2019, I started to think about the income needs for 2020. I wanted to do as much Roth conversion in the 12% bracket and still have enough income to cover costs. I had some other income that I couldn't pin down. so I scrapped the Roth conversion plan and just sold off $120k of VTSAX. This amounted to about $78k of LTCGs, meaning I was still in the 0% tax bracket. This is for 2020 living expenses and my daughters $66k dental school tuition.
But I won't need any of that money until the first tuition payment.
So, I'm thinking I might put it back into VOO until I have need for it.
Just waiting to see what shakes out.

We're back over 29,000, and once again, my sum of my bank accounts plus portfolio is the highest ever, in my entire life!! I don't know how this could be, but I'll take it. :D If you haven't checked your balances, now's a good time to peek.

:dance: :clap: :dance:

^ interesting. I just looked and I'm $31 less then my Jan. 17th, 2020 numbers. Lol DJIA is 58 points less today then the 17th.

We're back over 29,000, and once again, my sum of my bank accounts plus portfolio is the highest ever, in my entire life!! I don't know how this could be, but I'll take it. :D If you haven't checked your balances, now's a good time to peek.

What's the monthly premium for "W" insurance? Asking for a friend.

:LOL::cool:

4k away from my all time high. Need one more okay day.

I keep reaching new high after each pull back and at this rate I don't think my Roth conversion will put a dent in my Roll over IRA.

I'm more linked to the S&P 500, which made a new closing high, so I am sure this is true for me as well. I only actually total things up at the end of each month though. It doesn't pay (so to speak) to look too often.

$14,000 higher than Jan 1, and only $200 shy of $300,000. 5.1% YTD and looking for more.

Back
Top Bottom