eight figure club

Thought your son had come up with a brandy that was tops in your taste test but quite economical? And you didn't divulge the brand... tend to remember that kind of thing.. Now should you choose to share that information I miight even buy some when we get down to the land of the cheap booze California.

Edit: can't shop today - we've been approaching a $500,000 step. Playing silly games like making sure the quarterly checks are dated the 15th, checking all accounts for loan or rent payments. Yeterday the market kicked us within a few hundred dollars of the mark - and social security deposits will carry us across. The market is making us rather breathless this morning..

Ah, here's someone with a good memory. But so do I, and I do not recall saying that it was "tops", only surprisingly good for the price, and my palate may not be that great anyway.

This American brandy could be loaded with caramel. My son's palate is still very good for detecting caramel as he demonstrated in a blind test, where I could not. He was mainly proud of his discovery of this bargain, which I had to say tasted better than the bottom VS grade of imported Cognac slightly more expensive, or in the same price range.

I searched and found that post of mine. See below. Sorry Calmloki, but you can go to a Total Wine store, and bought quite a few of the inexpensive brandy that they have, and it will not cost but $100 altogether. You will have fun checking them out for yourself, and the ones that you do not like, you can always use to deglaze steak frying pans to make sauce.

But as mentioned, either American brandies are getting better or my palate is shot, but when I was in my 20s did not like them at all and now find them quite drinkable.

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/indicators-of-wealth-82835-13.html#post1762490

Last edited:
Ah, here's someone with a good memory. But so do I, and I do not recall saying that it was "tops", only surprisingly good for the price, and my palate may not be that great anyway.

This American brandy could be loaded with caramel. My son's palate is still very good for detecting caramel as he demonstrated in a blind test, where I could not. He was mainly proud of his discovery of this bargain, which I had to say tasted better than the bottom VS grade of imported Cognac slightly more expensive, or in the same price range.

I searched and found that post of mine. See below. Sorry Calmloki, but you can go to a Total Wine store, and bought quite a few of the inexpensive brandy that they have, and it will not cost but $100 altogether. You will have fun checking them out for yourself, and the ones that you do not like, you can always use to deglaze steak frying pans to make sauce.

But as mentioned, either American brandies are getting better or my palate is shot, but when I was in my 20s did not like them at all and now find them quite drinkable.

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/indicators-of-wealth-82835-13.html#post1762490

Sigh. My discerning palate identifies "white" and "red" most of the time in wine tests if I only peek a little. I did do the "buy a bunch of scotch and taste test them" adventure once - was primarily able to discern that Isle of Islay scotch tastes pretty much like burning tires smell. Maybe not all those who wander are lost - but some are.

Congrats. If my ex chooses to give me back her share, I'll be in that club with you.

I don't think I'll ever get there, I'm contempt being a member of the 7 figure club.

Ah, not so bad, no need to feel contempt . At worst perhaps modest shame.

Ha

Long road

Congrats for hitting the eight figure club. Just hit little over 6.5 M worth of investable assets, 10 mil might be awhile. That's a lot of hamburgers !

Edit: can't shop today - we've been approaching a $500,000 step. Playing silly games like making sure the quarterly checks are dated the 15th, checking all accounts for loan or rent payments. Yeterday the market kicked us within a few hundred dollars of the mark - and social security deposits will carry us across. The market is making us rather breathless this morning..

LOL. I do that somewhat. Usually crossing the "Thousand aire" thresholds. I only calculate NW on the days the market goes up. Never on down days. And if it's down I wait until it's sorta in the range of crossing back over to make up for the down. My mind is very complicated. LOL. Good idea on checking the couch for loose coins. Be Right Back

I don't think I'll ever get there, I'm contempt being a member of the 7 figure club.

I've seen some projections that get us there, but I expect that we would just spend more than watch it pile up. We just put a deposit on a guided photography tour to Patagoinia.

If it looked like I was was headed to eight figures, I'd ramp up the spending way before I got there. No need to pass on that kind of money to my kiddos.

DW and I have also talked about creating a charitable trust for something that we want to support.

Back
Top Bottom