elusive 5% drop

But that implies you have cash that you're holding out of the market. What would have happened if you had simply committed that cash to VTI from the beginning and you rode the market rise from the commit date? It seems like you might be better off.

Hmm. Reality is that the cash represented dividends that had accrued then got consolidated to one VG account. Still have about the same amount as we just invested in VG sitting there but larger amounts are sitting in VG linked banks. Those funds are from rent/loan/property sale payments and build up over time - and those funds got a recent substantial boost from a couple CDs that matured!

I look at the way the stock market has grown over the last decade - or just this year - and think how much ahead we would be.. and then note that we don't have to maximize any more. We are selling rentals - reducing our income - and our lifestyle is pretty set and modest. We are also risk averse - it takes quite a lot for me to think that the stock market is a real thing and that the whole world is making buckets of money doing nothing but trading stock from hand to hand. Can't fight the sea though, so I'm buying VTI up till we have about a third of our net worth in the market. Having buy orders in makes me feel like I'm buying on sale and takes second guessing in the moment off the table. Also means the computer program can make those buys and I don't have to stress on perfectly executing a buy order at the right moment .

A few years ago I tried buying a set amount on a set day every month. Hated it. Too many little buys to track and never felt like cheap buys were for enough to matter while buying high just hurt my feelings.

All this to say you are probably right but I think I can afford doing something that feels better even if it doesn't turn out as well.

... it takes quite a lot for me to think that the stock market is a real thing and that the whole world is making buckets of money doing nothing but trading stock from hand to hand...

Now, they are trading bits. Just doggone bits, not even shares of companies that still have no sales, no products. It's getting better all the time.

I did a moderate Roth conversion at the close last Thursday.

Looks like my equity funds overall dropped about 5% after the first week of September.

Back
Top Bottom