Facebook Settlement Money

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I filed my claim (link given in article).

Time to slaughter that hog :angel:.

Anyone in the U.S. who used Facebook in the last 16 years can now collect a piece of a $725 million settlement by parent company Meta tied to privacy violations — as long as they fill out a claim on a website set up to pay out money to the social network's users.

The settlement stems from multiple lawsuits that were brought against Facebook by users who claimed that the company improperly shared their data with third-party sources such as advertisers and data brokers. The litigation began after Facebook was embroiled in a privacy scandal in 2018 with Cambridge Analytica, which scraped user data from the site as part of an effort to profile voters.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/facebook-settlement-money-how-to-claim-meta/

Hmm, let's see. $725 million settlement minus about $175 million for the lawyers, so maybe $550 million net. Facebook has about 250 million users in the U.S., and if 20% of them file a claim for their piece of this, it'll be what... $10? :dance:🤑

I want my ounce of flesh.

Already filed my claim.

Last edited:
I have filed things like this over the years and made a handful of dollars, but once I got over $600 so it’s that memory that keeps me filling these out. You never know.

Hmm, let's see. $725 million settlement minus about $175 million for the lawyers, so maybe $550 million net. Facebook has about 250 million users in the U.S., and if 20% of them file a claim for their piece of this, it'll be what... $10? :dance:🤑

$10 for your privacy violation, if you fill in all your personal information right over here on this new website that will never be violated, we promise.....

I filed my claim. I elected to be paid by check. No way I'm giving those guys my bank account number.

I've never wasted my time joining Facebook, so I don't have to waste my time filing for a couple of bucks. My time is way more valuable.

I never joined Facebook. DH has however.

Agree, with attorneys getting 25% as already reported, members will end up getting something like $3. or $4. dollars a piece.

People fill out surveys for 25 cents. This took me 2 minutes.

Thanks for the PSA. Took me less than a minute to fill out. I'll have them Zelle me the $$. :)

Thanks for the information. I filled out the survey and opted for a check to be sent.

I don't even bother with these type of lawsuits. Years ago BofA sold my mortgage to a shady mortgage company. They charged you an $11 "convenience fee" to pay your mortgage online every month. If you did not want to pay the convenience fee, you could mail them a check which they would happen to lose or delay the receipt date so you could pay their $50 late fee. Lose, lose situation. I was never late but if you were a week late on payment they would call your place of work, call your neighbors and tell them you are a dead beat, etc... I read one review where they were making parents cry by calling them pathetic and losers who can't even take care of their kids by paying their bills. FTC went after them and fined them $63M. 3 years later I got a paper check in the mail for $10.76. I paid over $500 in convenience fees to get a whole $10 back. Crime does pay sometimes...

I have the max tenure listed in lawsuit so I am expecting to get the max payout. This is exciting. What a day it will be when the money shows up in my bank account. Now, my FIRE journey will accelerate.

waiting for: "in other news today, Facebook's website set up to record claimant's information for a lawsuit settlement has been hacked and personal information submitted by these claimants has been stolen"

waiting for: "in other news today, Facebook's website set up to record claimant's information for a lawsuit settlement has been hacked and personal information submitted by these claimants has been stolen"

I assume all my information is already out there and it likely is. So is yours and probably most of the other people posting on here. I then take all the necessary precautions so that the bad guys can’t do much with it.

I also filed a claim as I was a FB customer for 10 years during that period. The usual issue occurred of course with forms like this. While allowing a foreign country and provide a field for it they provide the appropriate fields except zip code which will only accept 5 digits so I had to use a bogus zip code.

If I do get as much as $10 it will fall into insignificance against the settlement my daughter is about to receive from her class action lawsuit, probably this coming week, of around $175k.

Back
Top Bottom